Is this a water pump?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Is this a water pump?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Annaian on Saturday, October 21, 2017 - 06:28 pm:

Hi guys,

While looking at my T engine I noticed that there seems to be something that looks to be a water pump bolted to the side...

There is a silver metal cylinder at the front that sort of lines up with the fan one for the belt but not quite. I could not get it to spin but it may be rusted.

https://imgur.com/gallery/UJZnz

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Hand on Saturday, October 21, 2017 - 06:37 pm:

Yes an accessory waterpump!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Claverie, Memphis TN on Saturday, October 21, 2017 - 07:03 pm:

John - that is indeed a water pump.

Water pumps have been a source of un-ending discourse on the Forum. There are those who have them and like them, and those who believe they should be removed post haste and used as wheel chocks.

Henry Ford never installed water pumps on Model T's, after a short trial period when T's were first produced. His testing and experience showed them to be unnecessary, as the "thermo-barf" cooling system worked totally satisfactorily.

As time went on, a couple of things hindered the efficiency of the system. One, the seal between the tubes and fins in the radiator became loose and/or corroded, making the heat transfer and hence the cooling, less effective.

Two, the water put into the radiator, which by all rights should always be distilled water, was replaced by whatever was at hand - usually on the farm. That meant well water, normally filled with minerals. These minerals would be deposited on the insides of the radiator's tubes and the engine block, and harden with heat. They form an insulator. Again, the efficiency of the cooling system was diminished.

The "band-aid" that was available for a cooling system back in the day was a water pump. The theory was that if the water could be forced to circulate faster, it would carry the heat away faster. And it would seem to help for a while.

Given all that, the presence of a water pump on an engine is a pretty good signal that at one point in the past, the car overheated and the owner looked for an easy and cheap fix.

Depending on what you're doing with this Model T, most of us would agree that the proper thing to do is remove the water pump, have the engine block and radiator properly cleaned, and make sure the radiator has good contact between the tubes and fins - which may mean a re-core of the radiator. This, of course, may mean major surgery, and some substantial cost.

As a partial fix, you can clean the radiator and block with a commercial radiator cleaner, or one of several homemade cleaning solutions, without removing a lot of things.

In either case, the pump itself presents a problem. If it's as rusty and cruddy as it appears in the picture, it may take a lot of work to get it to turn, let alone pump. And parts may have to be made.

If you opt to remove it, as many if not most of us do, you have to replace the lower water inlet (the part that bolts to the block, and its gasket and bolts (the ones there now may be too long. You also need two short pieces of hose, four clamps, and a length of metal tube. All this is available from any of the vendors mentioned so often on the Forum.

Many times, when installing a pump, they also put a thermostat inside the upper water outlet. This needs to be removed if the pump is removed, which means another gasket.

I hope this lengthy discourse helps you understand what you're looking at on your engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Annaian on Saturday, October 21, 2017 - 07:04 pm:

Thanks! Pulling it out then.

If anyone wants to have it for a trade for an outlet and pipe let me know. I'm in NH.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Annaian on Saturday, October 21, 2017 - 07:06 pm:

Oops, we posted at the same time Peter :-)

Thank you for your long reply. Yeah I don't want this thing, the radiator on it was trash so no wonder they had it installed.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration