Is This The Last Overnighter??

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Is This The Last Overnighter??
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Saturday, October 21, 2017 - 08:06 pm:

Weve had some exceptionally warm days this week. Very unusual for this time of year. We decided to take advantage of the weather packed up and took off in the 14 for a few days to the Finger Lakes Region. One of the places we stayed was in Hammondsport, New York. Besides the beauty of this area, there is the Glen H Curtis aviation museum. This museum has a lot of aircraft, vintage motorcycles, Model T's, a few Model As and a few brand X's. Glenn Curtis was an aviation pioneer. The Wright brothers tried to put him out of business. It was a similar situation the automobile manufacturers had with George Selden. The Wright Bros almost won as Curtis was broke after many legal battles with them. Henry ford stepped in, supplying cash and his top attorney. Curtis was able to succeed with Henry's help..

If we get more good weather days, we will head out again, map in hand to travel all the back roads in the beautiful Finger Lakes area.

The 14 ran flawless as usual! This car is a real pleasure to drive.

13 Assembly Line

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Saturday, October 21, 2017 - 08:51 pm:

How pretty is that ?

Great images .... :-)

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Saturday, October 21, 2017 - 08:58 pm:

Glenn held the motorcycle land speed record for years ....

He landed the first Navy aircraft contract.

He had a large bicycle factory in his 20s.

Had one of the first 5th wheel trailer designs.

Finished out his years in Florida creating living communities.

Ironically he never really returned to the town that now has a museum to honor him ...

Helluva inventor - I think he exceeded Edison in my opinion.

I love that museum !

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Saturday, October 21, 2017 - 10:10 pm:

Very Good FJ! You really nailed it, with all your knowledge of what is in the Curtiss museum. There is several pictures of his 5th wheel trailers, one is being pulled by a Model A Roadster.
It is a very interesting museum and well worth a visit

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Saturday, October 21, 2017 - 10:26 pm:

Dan,

Glenn was truly an innovator and trailblazer.

Most folks dont know all of the things he did in his life.

Thank you for this thread !

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Sunday, October 22, 2017 - 09:29 am:

More great scenery. Thank you

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, October 22, 2017 - 09:58 am:

Great pics Dan! Looks like a nice time. I have a couple to post too but for now just don't have time to screw with the loading, shrinking, and uploading. Next week when it's cold and rainy!! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Sunday, October 22, 2017 - 10:23 am:

Hi Dan,

Thank you so much for the wonderful pictures. I have fond memories of a stop at the Curtiss museum with my parents as a youth and decades later with them again and with my children.

Is the Dodge Brothers center door sedan still in the collection? Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Sunday, October 22, 2017 - 10:31 am:

Ironically, Curtiss and Wright merged in 1929.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Bond on Sunday, October 22, 2017 - 11:25 am:

Great stuff - wonderful museum. We were there several times during AACA meets in the areas, and most recently with our 1948 MGTC, when we attended the vintage races at Watkins Glen. The Curtis was a stop on our tour. We're looking at a return visit to the area next fall actually. There is an AACA Reliability tour in that area and we're considering hauling our 1914 touring up for the fun. Hope to have fun running around with a lot of other Ts.
Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Sunday, October 22, 2017 - 12:47 pm:

Dan & "FJ" - Like Steve Jelf says,...."When you get old enough, (and apparently, I am) everything someone says seems to remind you of something else."

One of the first books I ever read as a young kid, was the autobiography of Glenn Curtis. Of course, with my ever-failing memory at age 76, I can't remember everything the book said, but I sure remember that I was so fascinated that I absolutely couldn't put the book down! I've often thought ever since, that at least some of the praise and glory given to the Wright Brothers should have gone to Glen Curtis. FWIW,.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Sunday, October 22, 2017 - 09:42 pm:

I'm glad you all enjoyed the pictures.

Bill, it may still be in the collection, but was not on display.

Harold,you are correct on the praise and glory that should have gone to Glen Curtiss according to the museum video.

Another gorgeous day, we should have spent another day out. But we did go out for day today in the 24. This is the best time of year to drive. Nice temperatures, beautiful color, and driving a T. Doesn't get much better than this

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Fuller on Sunday, October 22, 2017 - 10:18 pm:

Great pictures Dan. Thanks for sharing!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration