OT - Reunited with missing car!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT - Reunited with missing car!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Mettling - Dayton OH on Saturday, October 21, 2017 - 08:59 pm:

hey all - cool story that OT but still part of the old car hobby.

I bought a 53 chevy in 2000 when I was 14 and drove it all through high school and college. My dad and I spent years fixing it up. I sold it in 2008 to pay for grad school and my wife's engagement ring.

I spent the better part of 7 years trying to find it, posting ads in papers, craigslist and visiting car shows in my hometown. I wanted to buy it back. Now I have two kids and wife, a 1922 T and wanted my first car back. My cop neighbor suggest I use a Private Eye service since I had the VIN, and they found it in 24 hours! I met the owner today, a nice girl that had it a few years and I bought it back!

The person I sold it to totally TRASHED it and made it into a shi*tty rat rod and primed the entire car in gray paint. No wonder I couldn't find it! Now I have to take it home, start a brand new restoration and have something to pass along to the kids when they start driving too. I have a two year old daughter and a 1 week old son that already like beeping the horn!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Mettling - Dayton OH on Saturday, October 21, 2017 - 09:04 pm:

here's the before pic from when I had it in 2008:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Mettling - Dayton OH on Saturday, October 21, 2017 - 09:07 pm:

and today (unfortunately)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Mettling - Dayton OH on Saturday, October 21, 2017 - 09:08 pm:

my daughter and I today

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Saturday, October 21, 2017 - 09:08 pm:

Cool story Brian. My 1st car was a 53 chevy. Drove it the 1st year and a half after getting my licence. I paid $325 straight out of the junk yard. I ended up giving it to my dad who needed the parts for his 53. Ive had a couple 54's also. I have a soft spot for the shoe box chevys. I have more fun with the Ts.
They will get along in the garage. My 41 chevy coupe gets along fine withe the Ts in my garage!
Drive safe and often

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, October 21, 2017 - 09:28 pm:

Cool
But that 2ed photo is no where near a rat rod.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Saturday, October 21, 2017 - 09:54 pm:

Nothing worked on our 53 210 Deluxe when we bought it but my wife and restored it and still drive it. There were many owners along the way but you could tell by the condition that no one properly cared for it. Only the original owner had bothered to get the title before us. I enjoyed seeing your car. Thanks for sharing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Saturday, October 21, 2017 - 10:06 pm:

Brian,

Your daughter seems to be saying :

ď I donít about you Dad .... I thought you were cool .... ď

That is a great story - hope she gets to drive it one day !

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Saturday, October 21, 2017 - 10:09 pm:

I am glad that you were able to find it and will bring it back to its original condition.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, October 21, 2017 - 10:31 pm:

My first car was/is my '30 A Ford Sport Coupe (that I slid down the fenders when I was 4 years old). but my first "everyday" car was a '39 Chev Town Sedan, sold when I got married, as Linda couldn't see over the hood and we inherited a '60 Olds 98 sedan That had plastic covers on ALL the interior upholstery--it was mint. When it had 100K miles on it, I figured it was going to need lots of work (I'm certain now that I was wrong) and it was replaced by a '46 Chev Club Coupe. I hear the '39 is in Southern Calif. but the '46 is in Italy--turned out to be something like the 356th Chev built after the war (it had a lot of '41 trim on it, including the dash), so I'll never see it again. The '39 is the one I regret, had some great memories of it. Big Black Sedan--with suicide rear doors--a "Mafia Staff Car" as the plate frames declared.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Saturday, October 21, 2017 - 10:48 pm:

Heard my 1st model T was for sale earlier this year but had sold so fast all guy did was drive couple times a year and show it that was 27 years ago

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Saturday, October 21, 2017 - 11:37 pm:

When you said "trashed" I thought you meant badly. I see grey primer but nothing else obvious. "Trashed" to me means hacking the motor & trans, cutting the roof off with an axe, or smashing every light and panel. You know, things of that nature.

Aside from the grey I can't see much changed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Sunday, October 22, 2017 - 09:25 am:

Neat story.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, October 22, 2017 - 10:00 am:

Brian...great story, cute kid!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Sunday, October 22, 2017 - 11:41 am:

My first car was a 1930 Plymouth that I bought from the original owner in 1962. I drove it daily until 1972 when it developed a knock. It sat up on blocks in my garage until a year ago when I started the restoration. My wife often suggested that I get rid of it but, as you know Brian, there is something about that first car!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Sunday, October 22, 2017 - 11:57 am:

My first car was almost a 53 Chevy but I ended up passing on it and buying a much more boring VW brand new. I still have the car as my primary transportation because I just can't bring myself to let it go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Sunday, October 22, 2017 - 08:41 pm:

Brian,

I'm glad you were able to purchase it again. My Dad had two of them. From memory -- not as good as documentation, the 3 on the tree 3 speed standard car still had Babbitt bearings (just connecting rods? not sure) but the one with the 2 speed power glide came with inserts.

I still remember learning to drive that car. It was very easy to honk the horn by accident when turning the steering wheel because the horn button was higher than the rim. A nice reliable car.

Again, I'm glad you were able to locate it.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration