Totally OT - Can You Identify the Year/Make/Model

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Totally OT - Can You Identify the Year/Make/Model
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Saturday, October 21, 2017 - 10:04 pm:

One of the most common threads that I see on the forum is "What Have You Done This Month?" Since I restored my Tudor a year ago, I haven't had to do much, other than this last month, which was to repair the bendix, driver's side door latch, and put on a Canadian steering wheel. In the meantime, over the past nine months, I have been adding custom bodies to my Aurora AFX Speed Steer slotless race car collection.

Aurora's slotless system was only made for four years (1979-1982) and they only made about twelve bodies to go with the chassis'. The idea was that a car could change lanes, allowing one car to pass another. The problem with the system was that the cars were extremely temperamental and that the chassis tended to gravitate towards the outside of the track when going around a turn.

Aurora made hundreds of different bodies and variations for the different chassis that they manufactured and some were compatible, most were not. The Thunder Jets were 1/87 scale and the AFX were 1/64 scale, which is the scale that the Speed Steer is based on. The Speed Steer chassis' had tabs that snapped to the body; other chassis' were mounted with screws.

Most of the bodies offered by Aurora were based on cars from the 1970s - I happen to prefer older styles, so I began seeking out those who were making custom resin bodies. Some make resin casts from bodies of other manufacturers, like Tyco; others make their bodies from Hot Wheels cars. I tried my hand at making my own bodies, using a diecast car as a base, making a two-piece RTV mold, then casting the body in resin. It is not really cost-effective to do this, but I was able to have some marques that were not being made, like Lotus and Studebaker. Sometimes, the body is too narrow and the wheelbase too long - such was the case with the Auburn boattail and Packard sedan that I tried to make. If possible, I try to customize my cars from those of friends or family - three of which I have done. I will identify in the pictures which ones I cast.

See if you can guess the year, make and model of each car.  1920s-1930s - all three are Aurora bodies that used screws and I customized them to the slotless chassis.  The hot rod was a beat-up coupe that I modified. 1940s - the fourth one in I cast from a Hot Wheels car.1950s - row two, the red/white car is based on Jack Kirmse's car (for those of you who know Jack of Graham, WA).  The blue unfinished pick-up I cast in resin from an M2 Machines body; the stepside pickup is a plastic Matchbox body that I made the stakes for.1960s - first row, second car (red) is one that I cast in resin from an M2 Machines body.1970s - Row 1 - dark green unfinished car is based on a friend from Lakewood, WA; the red/white/blue car next to it is owned by Barney Wagner of Arrow Lumber, both of which I cast in resin.  The last car in row 1 is my most recent Hot Wheels casting.  Row two, second car (two-tone gray) is unfinished and based on a rig that my parents had when I was a kid.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Saturday, October 21, 2017 - 10:08 pm:

Since the text didn't come out, here is a brief explanation of what I have cast:

First pic: 1920s-1930s - all three are Aurora bodies that used screws and I customized them to the slotless chassis. The hot rod was a beat-up coupe that I modified.

Second pic: 1940s - the fourth one in (red car) I cast from a Hot Wheels body.

Third pic: 1950s - row two, the red/white car is based on Jack Kirmse's car (for those of you who know Jack of Graham, WA). The blue unfinished pick-up I cast in resin from an M2 Machines body; the stepside pickup is a plastic Matchbox body that I made the stakes for.

Fourth pic: 1960s - first row, second car (red) is one that I cast in resin from an M2 Machines body.

Fifth pic: 1970-2000s - Row 1 - dark green unfinished car is based on a friend from Lakewood, WA; the red/white/blue car next to it is owned by Barney Wagner of Arrow Lumber, both of which I cast in resin. The third car was a junker that I traded and was made by Aurora and used screws, so I had to adapt it to the slotless chassis and made the roll bars in the back. The last car in row 1 is my most recent Hot Wheels casting. Row two, second car (two-tone gray) is unfinished and based on a rig that my parents had when I was a kid.}

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Sunday, October 22, 2017 - 05:06 pm:

Match box corgi(sp) and hot wheels

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Sunday, October 22, 2017 - 09:17 pm:

What I meant was if you could name whether it was a Ford, Hudson, etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Sunday, October 22, 2017 - 09:20 pm:

Jim just pulling your chain

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman, New Zealand on Monday, October 23, 2017 - 04:04 am:

These look like they are from a mini slot car set like AFX (I think it was?) year: 1980 - 90s'?

;-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Gitts - Ferndale, WA on Wednesday, October 25, 2017 - 09:30 pm:

Here's my guesses

Photo #1: 1930 Ford A, 1930 Ford A sedan delivery, 1932 Ford V8 roadster

Photo#2: 1940 Ford deLuxe, '41 Willys, '48? Ford,48 Tucker, '49 Cadillac

Photo #3: '51 Henry J, '53 Chev Belair, '55 Chev 210, '56 Chev Belair,' 56 Ford Crown Vic., '50 Studebaker, '57 Chev Belair, '57 Chev 150, '55 GMC

Photo #4: '66 Barracuda, '78 Toyota Land Cruiser, '65 Comet, '68 Vette, '66 Vette (427), Porsche (?), '67 Cuda

Photo #5: Porsche, '78 Ford Bronco, '67 Camaro, 90's Ferrari, '68 Cuda, 75 VW Thing, Pontiac Fierro.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 01:19 am:

Les:

Wow! you just about nailed every one.

Photo 1: Aurora called the first one a 1929 Woodie. I received the car without complete fenders and a radiator. I took the radiator off of a diecast Model T that I had torn apart and the fenders off of the broken coupe. You are correct in the 1930 Model A and the 1932 Roadster. The roadster was a coupe made by Aurora that was not fixable.

Photo 2: Nice job! All is correct except the Ford is a 1946 and was made by Auto World. The 1940 Ford and Willys were made by Jimmy Flintstone and had to be cut down to fit the smaller chassis. The Cadillac was extremely large and needed a major retrofit. The Tucker was my first resin cast.

Photo 3: Again, you nailed it! The first row were all made by Jimmy Flintstone. The 1956 Ford is a Fairlane with an accessory spare tire. It was made by Slot Car Jets. The unfinished 1956 Studebaker was cast by me and the 1957 GMC was a Matchbox car with a plastic body.

Photo 4: The blue Corvette is a 1965 Mako - Chevy only made one. I cast the red 1966 Corvette. The third car is a 1968 Ferrari 330 P4, then a 1968 Barracuda. Row 2 - 1968 Bronco, 1968 Land Cruiser, both made by Jim's Custom Rods, and a 1969 Super Bee.

Photo 5: Row 1 - An unfinished 1971 Pantera that I cast; 1972 AMC Machine Rebel that I cast; 1975 VW Thing made by Aurora; 1977 Lotus Espirit, the most recent Hot Wheels car that I cast.

Row 2 - 1981 Lancia Beta Montecarlo made by Slot Car Jets; an unfinished 1982 Ford Bronco that I cast; 2007 Camaro

My next projects after I finish the Bronco and Pantera are a 1962 Chrysler Turbine and a Hudson Hornet from the movie Cars. My son and I race these cars, so it is one thing that we can do together that we both like.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration