Gooseneck spare tire carrier install???

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Gooseneck spare tire carrier install???
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Saturday, October 21, 2017 - 11:31 pm:

I tried to install a gooseneck which came with 2 metal plates to protect the neck. I found it was impossible to install the neck, plates, and castle nuts with cotter pins. What have the rest of you used to install this? Castle nuts and lock washers? or just nuts and washers?
Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eubanks, Powell, TN on Sunday, October 22, 2017 - 07:15 am:

without cotter keys it will loosen up! Y08 gave too many spring leaves

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Jorgensen, Batavia, IL on Sunday, October 22, 2017 - 09:07 am:

I had the same problem. I solved the problem by using metal plates that were thinner than the original plates. I got the thinner plates from Bob's Antique Auto Parts in Loves Park, IL. You might call Bob and see if he still has any more of the thinner plates. Alternatively you could machine the plates you have so that they would be thinner, so that the cotter pins will engage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Sunday, October 22, 2017 - 10:15 am:

There are different size rear spring clamps. Sounds like yours are too short for what you want to do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, October 22, 2017 - 10:25 am:

That type was used on 26-27 years. They will fit if you use the right U bolts and springs.
Norm

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration