Question for the Experts - Top Irons

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Question for the Experts - Top Irons
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, October 22, 2017 - 12:03 pm:

Hello, I picked up a very nice 1925 Touring Body from Bob Bergstadt yesterday (thanks, Bob!). A bucket of loose parts came with it, including some top irons, see attached picture. Can someone confirm which pair of irons, A or B, are for a touring car with a one-man top? I suspect it's A, but I want to be sure. Also, I believe that the part labeled C is for an earlier, two-man top, am I correct? Thanks! :-)

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Sunday, October 22, 2017 - 12:57 pm:

"C" is for the earlier top. Saddle support screws through the body quarters into a steel member. Pivot irons may depend on the individual body, but I'd almost be willing to bet the short ones are for a roadster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, October 22, 2017 - 02:46 pm:

B look to be for late 21-25ish 3 piece tub touring. (?) Would have been used when went to steel hinge pillar for rear door.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, October 22, 2017 - 03:03 pm:

This body has wood for the rear door hinge pillars.

I just noticed that there is a hole in each wood pillar that lines up with the lower hole in the longer irons, so I'm going to keep the long irons and send the short ones and the orphan two-man top iron back to Bob, hopefully in exchange for some other parts that this body is missing (sent Bob a PM).

Thank you everyone for your help. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Kemmerer Medford, Or on Sunday, October 22, 2017 - 03:59 pm:

Mark, my 1925 touring engine #12080485 which is July 3, 1925 has irons like what A appears to be in your photo. They are 6 inches overall height.
Don't know as it would make much difference though.
There are only two joining plates in the rear seat.
The steel upright in the corner that holds the rods for thee rear fender and the top saddles serve as joining plates in the other two joints

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Kemmerer Medford, Or on Sunday, October 22, 2017 - 04:03 pm:

If B measures 6 inches high then A must be closer to 4 inches, Roadster? Maybe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Jull in Oakland on Sunday, October 22, 2017 - 04:06 pm:

The correct iron is about 8 1/2" long which based on Mark's comments is probably B. If this is the same body that Bob was selling in early September then it does have steel pillars behind the rear doors just like all the other 3 piece tub tourings do. Mark - what you are stating as a wood pillar sounds more like the wood backing piece that the goes next to the pillar and gives something for the hinge screws to screw into.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Jull in Oakland on Sunday, October 22, 2017 - 04:20 pm:

The iron length that I gave is for a seven hole hinge with the iron attaching at the middle screw. I believe the 25 has a 4 screw hinge and doesn't have a screw hole in the middle so the 8 1/2" iron won't fit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, October 22, 2017 - 04:29 pm:

This body has 4 hole rear hinges. The bottom hole on the short irons lines up with one of the hinge holes, so now it looks to me like I should keep the short irons.

The wood kit probably includes the hole for the longer irons so that it will fit both 7 hole and 4 hole hinge cars. The hole in the wood just doesn't get used in cars with 4 hole hinges.

Thank you everyone for your input! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, October 22, 2017 - 04:40 pm:

Here is a picture of the rear door hinge and pillar area on this body:

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Jull in Oakland on Sunday, October 22, 2017 - 04:47 pm:

Yup - definitely a steel pillar with the wood backer

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration