Martin Parry cab rebuild partII

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Martin Parry cab rebuild partII
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, October 22, 2017 - 01:46 pm:

I started the cab rebuild in June. The original thread is getting long so I started this one. I dont know how to post the link to original thread here. If you know how please do.

I worked today on floors and seat base. The only major components left are the cab side hinged window frames. Hear are photos of todays progress.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Sunday, October 22, 2017 - 05:01 pm:

Here is the link to the first thread.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/768668.html?1507485493

(Message edited by paulmikeska on October 22, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, October 22, 2017 - 05:21 pm:

Thank you Paul!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Sunday, October 22, 2017 - 05:59 pm:

You are welcome Dallas. I have enjoyed reading the first thread. Looking forward to the second. Neat project.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Sunday, October 22, 2017 - 06:39 pm:

Very nice. Excited to see the following installments

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Sunday, October 22, 2017 - 07:07 pm:

Look'n good, Dallas! Fast progress,actually!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Sunday, October 22, 2017 - 09:08 pm:

Dallas or anyone. To post a link is simple. When you are on the page you want to link to your e-mail or forum post, ect just look at the top of the page for the address bar it will be the address starting with http://. Highlight it by clicking on the address with you mouse cursor. It will turn blue or some color when you click on it. Next "hold down" the Ctrl key and hit the letter C key at the same time. You just saved whatever you highlighted to some dark corner of your computer. It will stay there till the next step. Now go back to your e-mail or forum posting and place your cursor where you want the link to show up in your e-mail or posting. Now hold down the Ctrl key again and hit the letter V. You just retrieved the link from that dark corner of your computer and it placed it in your posting or e-mail. Anything you highlight can be Ctrl C Ctrl V saved and moved. Only 3 thing to remember, highlight, then Ctrl C, then Ctrl V, in that order.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Sunday, October 22, 2017 - 11:17 pm:

Even using Mozilla and Linux, I think it's ultra easy to post links.
Dallas' original. http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/768668.html?1507485493
I just double click the address in the bar and choose "copy" and then dump it into my text/babble.
I sure ain't trying to argue.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Sunday, October 22, 2017 - 11:22 pm:

Holy Moley, you are soooo close to painting that beautiful wood!
I am anxious!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Monday, October 23, 2017 - 12:30 am:

I've really enjoyed following this project, it's really impressive.

I'll be in Fremont early November to catch part of bow season. I'd love to see this if it works for you and time permits (meaning I fill my tags early).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Monday, October 23, 2017 - 08:53 am:

Gary, I havnt been hunting yet. Its been 60's and 70's which is too warm. Give me a call and I will be glad to show you the cab. I think I may bring it home and do a final fit before paint. Lots of unknown details to get right. I pre-fit the main floor frame before starting on cab. I want to make sure cowl and seat is right and then peddle slots and aux. Trans holes are right.
Freemont is about 15 to 20 miles from my place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 03:25 pm:

Well anothe weekend working on the cab. Today was delayed for a 4am house fire. Late start but I did get a few things done. Finished the rear window frames that flip up for ventilation. I have the strips made for the metal panels. Also got the floor board risers mounted. Almost ready to mount on chassis for final measurements on floor boards against firewall and around fuel tank. A side note, the screws from that time suffered quality control issues as today. I also found a square nut with no threads. A few photos.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, November 02, 2017 - 05:29 pm:

Well I took today off because it rained most of the day. Gave me a chance to work on the cab. Windows hinged, door handles mounted. Not much but it adds up. Tonight I need to sort more screws and get them painted for window latches. Make catches for door handles. A couple more photos.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Thursday, November 02, 2017 - 11:06 pm:

Door handles. Jesus.
Is there a half loop of iron to hold the inside handle when the door is open?
Ya just flop the inside handle down into the half loop and the door stays real nice.
I gotta look at the buddies TT. The inside door handles...
His is prolly a copy of an M-P.
Maniacally interesting!

Wait. What do ya do with the hinged windows? Clip them to the ceiling when open?
That's an extreme messed up slot in that screw! I've run into one or two similar but not like that!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Friday, November 03, 2017 - 06:30 am:

Yes Duey pretty simple latch on doors. I am making a wedge latch to hold handles and keep door closed tight. The windows hook to top of cab when open. I had better make up my mind to open them before getting in! Now where to mount the key pad for door locks????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Friday, November 03, 2017 - 07:35 am:

Can't wait to see this mounted to the chassis. Looking great !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Friday, November 03, 2017 - 09:14 am:

Dallas,

The windows in our cab are almost identical to yours. I have wondered how they were held open. Looking at the window frames, there are no marks where any type of latch was previously mounted. Since there was no roof on our cab, I can't look to see if there was something on the inside to hold the windows open without attaching to the window frames.

I was wondering if you received the photos of our truck and what you thought of them? The two cabs, while not identical, do share many of the same features. One question: Your doors open "suicide" while our doors open conventional. Which way was normal on the M-P cabs?

You're doing a great job and I'm planning on trying to accomplish the same level of craftsmanship you have shown.

Cheers and Thanks for your posts,
Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Friday, November 03, 2017 - 09:30 am:

Terry, send me photos of your truck. I have a bunch but was not smart enough to lable as who is who. The windows hook to top of cab to stay open. My old cab doors were hinged that way and no other holes for hinges. The MP web site has my cab and door detail is very good. Mine is cab number 20-B. Tim Morsher has the same cab but his side windows slide down into a sheet metal pocket. Im sure they changed them as better ideas came to them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 07:32 pm:

I got to play with some new toys today and learn alot. Making handle catches for the MP cab. My old buddy is giving me lessons on the mill and lathe so when I get my late 20's logan lathe home I will not hurt myself too bad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 09:06 pm:

Dallas,

I figured out our truck IS a M-P #630 with a #52 cab. The windshield has me puzzled though. Instead of being a two piece or a larger 1 piece/top opening, ours is a huge 1 piece with center hinging so it appears to be able to open in(top)/out (bottom), OR out(top)/in(bottom). I have found a photo of another truck appearing to have the same windshield.

Do you have plans for your cab? If so, where did you find them?

Good Luck,
Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 09:17 pm:

Terry, my original cab was disassembled and in poor condition. I used it for patterns. Bolt and screw locations olong with dimentions were determined by the original. Tim Morsher has a very similar cab and has been a great help with missing parts.I would like to see photos of your truck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 09:31 pm:

Terry, your cab has curved sides? Very cool.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 09:52 pm:

I just realized the 1919 catalog states the cab is steel. The 1920 catalog doesn't say anything about being steel.

Our entire body is wood (not counting the steel in brackets, hinges, etc.) The roof curves both ways; front to back AND side to side, fairly significantly. That's going to be a challenge to get correct. The sides are flat, as yours are. The small windows in the side panels are shorter than the door windows. Thus, the selection of the #52 cab. That selection may be wrong if that cab was steel.

Besides the windshield, the doors are mounted to swing in a conventional manor, instead of the suicide manor all of the M-P cabs show. This may be due to later modification or addition of the doors, as the doors have a large dado where the latch was located. This seems to indicate the simple M-P type handle was not used or was replaced.

Still investigating and learning about this one.

Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 09:56 pm:

Post some photos. My simple door handles are not correct for my cab but they are period correct. Look for screww hole on door frames for opposite swing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 11:12 pm:

Hahaha! I just about peed myself (obviously) seeing those darned door handles, typed it out WAY wrong and now I find? :-)
Dallas, any clue whatsoever as to what brand of cab/catalog those door handles came from or where geographically?
The buddies 25 has those handles. They look great on your cab!
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Wednesday, November 08, 2017 - 09:24 pm:

As found before trip home.

Rear panel and dump mechanism.

Front panel. Note the size of the widow and the center mounted hinges, evidenced by the bolt heads.

Driver's door inside. Note the hinges will be to the front of the cab and the cut out for the latch to the rear.

Having trouble with this post. I'll post more photos.

Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Wednesday, November 08, 2017 - 09:41 pm:

Inside of driver's door. Note the large cut out for the latch and hinges mounted on the face, to the front of the cab.

Driver's side lock pillar, should be the hinge pillar. Note the striker plate.

Outside of passenger's side rear panel. The second piece of glass that was in the cab when found and made the trip home in one piece.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Wednesday, November 08, 2017 - 09:41 pm:

What a great truck. You have a lot for patterns. I like it a lot. What is the story with the truck? What, where ,how?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Wednesday, November 08, 2017 - 09:46 pm:

Evidently, there is a limit on the TOTAL kb of photos uploaded. So, here is the next group.

Inside of the passenger's side rear panel. Note the swing up window and the grab/support rail.

Driver's side swing up widow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Wednesday, November 08, 2017 - 09:55 pm:

Windshield/firewall. Note the side to side large curve roof support.

I would like to hear your thoughts and comments. I'm still kind of lost in what I would call a definitive identification.

The grain body matches very well until you get to the end gate. Not a M-P grain gate. It's a comstock grain gate. This I could excuse as it may well be a replacement from many years ago. The side support brackets are a perfect match. But, I have not seen any M-P dump bed. Maybe a dealer installed item.

Thanks,
Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 06:15 pm:

It is possible that it had no doors originally. The curved metal bracket inside the doors I have not seen on a cab with doors. The hinges doesnt look original as they would be inset like house doors. It has windows in rear like mine but hinges are different. I would look for screw holes from original hinges on doors and windows.
I am no expert. You should send photos to Ben at the Martin Parry web site and see if he can put you in touch with someone more knowledgable than I. I really like it and 1/2 the fun is trying to research these old things. What year is the chasis? That may help with cab as the years and styles of MP cabs. Pleases let me know if you figure it out. Maybe other forum members can help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 08:50 pm:

Dallas,

Thank you for your insight. I didn't know the cabs with doors did not have that curved grab iron. Later addition of doors would make perfect sense with the direction of swing, hinges, and latches.

The engine is a 1920, The truck is supposed to be a '20 so that would be correct. The truck year is by word of mouth so is not 100% reliable. Equipment on the truck appears to be in line with a '20. We have a '20 center door and just about everything, between the two, matches, as near as we can tell from the McCalley literature.

I'll have to go back and look at the '19 & '20 catalogs, specifically to see the open cabs.

Thanks again,
Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 10:11 pm:

It's ironic, I'm not jealous of yous guys per-say as I'm happy for you.
Well, Dallas, maybe I'm just a trifle jealous. And you're going to cover up that cabinet work with paint. :-)
Good thing Mr. Jelf doesn't see my post. :-)
I wait to get ahold of a truck and cab that's so close (10 miles) yet still stuck in limbo.

cab

Now this is a barn find! ;-) Poor thing is standing on his stump legs in the front. Can't see the rears.
The friend in the pic and I are on his dad and uncle's place. Cab no. P-203.
I have the patience of Job in some ways but this TT and cab need some preservation desperately. Along with a few other items. ;-)
Perhaps someone upstairs is making me wait until I spend some money and have the building to house some more treasures properly.
Or "finish" the 18, the 24, the other 24, the 25 and oh no. Not the 26. The 29 IH? Hehehehe!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Friday, November 10, 2017 - 06:10 am:

Duey, that breaks my heart. That has the look of MP. Even has the drip edge on the bottom of the windshield. Try to save it. The harware on the cab is worth the effort. That is a real barn find for sure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Friday, November 10, 2017 - 09:33 pm:

Thanks Dallas. I was so excited and yet heartbroken to be shown this truck and other goodies.
The P-203 serial tag is nailed upside down in the middle of the rear header above/behind the driver's head.
Patience is virtue they say...
Hope you get to work on your cab this weekend!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Saturday, November 11, 2017 - 03:52 pm:

I actually got to work on it today. I finished up some details and started taking things apart for paint. A lot of hand sanding!!! Test fit door handle latches I made last weekend and pulling hinges and other hardware for paint. Getting close but now it is deer season. I cant believe I havnt been out with a bow this year. The wife says she wants some venison in the freezer so I better keep her happy. I do have it rough. ( tounge planted in cheek) the cab may slow a bit unless I have a good season.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration