Sun Valley Again.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Sun Valley Again.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Monday, October 23, 2017 - 01:21 pm:

This is a different bridge than the one last year on the VF cover.

Sun Valley, ID is well known for its skiing and celebrities. It has also been a place for several car club National Tours. I remember it in the 60’s when several of us youngsters drove our 20’s and 30’s cars to Wagon Days in Ketchum, a couple of miles way. There was a horse, mule and oxen drawn vehicle parade on Saturday and an Antique Car Parade on Sunday the day before Labor Day. We met with a hundred or so enthusiasts from that side of the state. It was inspiring to see Brass T Roadsters, a 1913 REO and a Steam powered Fire Engine with articulated steering. A very exiting journey for a lad in his teens.

Last week we made the 163 mile trip again in our 1925 Tudor to take in the Music and Jazz Festival there. While not particularly musical myself it was wonderful to take in 20 separate hours of the best musicians I know. The folks enjoying this are much like folks on a car tour or Swap Meet. The best of times.

Our Tudor performed well with only a couple of hiccups. The magneto quit 45 miles into the trip. It turned out to be a not tight enough connection at the terminal block. Also one night got down to 25 degrees and I drained the water out. Upon refilling the radiator the next morning, slush formed inside the filler neck making it slow pouring the water in. After driving the 2 miles to the venue we were steaming. At that temperature the radiator was forming slush and a gallon escaped through the overflow. Antifreeze would have been fine as we didn’t lose much coolant on the trip.
As we are on the cusp of Winter weather it was a great get away for Joy and I. Now back to our routines with fond memories in our heads. We only got one other couple to go from our car club but they enjoyed the festival as much as we did even though they took their modern car.

Rich

(Message edited by rich eagle on October 23, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, October 23, 2017 - 02:16 pm:

I love it! And here we go again with everything reminding the geezer of something from long ago, in this case the banjo band. Almost thirty years ago I was at a Packard club Christmas party where the entertainment was a banjo band. They asked for requests and got titles like In the Good Old Summertime, Five Foot Two, Cruising Down the River — all the usual suspects a banjo band would be expected to play. I said, "Stardust." They proceeded to play an absolutely gorgeous four-banjo arrangement of Stardust. When they finished, one of the guys said, "Can we take you with us?"

Rich, in the first photo is that a bridge, or a trestle?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Monday, October 23, 2017 - 02:33 pm:

I guess I hadn't realized the difference. I suspect it is a trestle (or sometimes tressel).

Thanks Steve.

We so often hear these jazz tunes related to our old cars in movies and elsewhere. These musicians are inventive, clever and very versatile. They and the many folks with white hair and plaid shirts enjoying them sure remind me of my old car friends.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Monday, October 23, 2017 - 03:10 pm:

Love that country! The RMMT club did a Salmon River tour and looped through there on the was back to Salmon. We are thinking of doing it again or the Clear Water area next year. Come with us!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Monday, October 23, 2017 - 04:04 pm:

That sounds inviting. I didn't mention the lack of traffic we encountered. Only between Bellevue and Sun Valley (18 mi.) did we see any traffic to speak of. This part of the world is very kind to old cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, October 23, 2017 - 09:32 pm:

Pat Kelly - You mentioned,....."the Clear Water area". Curious just where you mean. One of my all-time favorite drives in the U.S.A. (besides the Oregon Coast) is driving across Idaho from Lolo, Montana, all the way to Lewiston, Idaho. That's one drive where you want to make sure you have a full tank of gasoline!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Doris, AZ on Tuesday, October 24, 2017 - 01:06 am:

Rich, Nice pictures! That’s a sweet looking Tudor!

As a teenager growing up in Rupert, ID, I too have fond memories of Ketchum’s Wagon Days in the late 60’s. Was the 1st time I had ever seen brass T’s, speedsters, and other odd cars of the teens and ’20’s. Even a Mercer Raceabout one year. I guess this was the beginning of the old car bug for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, October 24, 2017 - 01:14 pm:

Bob, I am glad to hear others enjoyed those extraordinary times and hope youngsters are enjoying similar events that we do today. Those characters certainly shaped my views with their generosity, knowledge and humor. Here are some glimpses from 1964 Wagon Days:

We saw a similar 1913 REO on a more recent HCCA Tour. After mentioning the one in 1964 we discovered it was the same car repainted. The present owner was very pleased to hear of where it came from.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Tuesday, October 24, 2017 - 05:51 pm:

Wonderful story and pictures with the bonus 1964 pictures, Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Tuesday, October 24, 2017 - 08:05 pm:

Harold, we started in St Regis MT and cut over a logging road to the St Maries River, down to St Maries ID. We went over to Elk River and cut across the suspension bridge on Dworshak Reservoir into Orofino. Then up the Locksha River to Lolo Hot Springs and back to St Regis. We spent four days poking around. Really great country to tour in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Doris, AZ on Tuesday, October 24, 2017 - 10:48 pm:

Rich, I think I have a photo of that same 1913 REO from I believe Wagon Days 1968. Photo not that great, was scanned from a slide.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, October 24, 2017 - 11:17 pm:

Pat - That's what I wondered about! That's sorta' my old "stompin grounds"! Until the Milwaukee Road went bankrupt and ran the last train east in 1980, I spent a lot of time between St. Regis, Mt. and St. Maries, Idaho,...by way of St. Portal and Avery, Idaho. Can't remember what they called that road to Avery,....Gold Creek maybe,....??? Anyway, the railroad had a lot of derailments up there in the Bitteroots, usually around East Portal, and I don't know about now, but back in the 70's, some of those roads were pretty tough going for a two wheel drive automobile or pickup.

You know, that's really beautiful country and I always liked that area, but the last couple times I've been back there, it seemed like there was something missing,....besides the railroad I mean,....which by the way is now called "Hiawatha Trail" in the Bitteroots. But the last time I was there, I figured out what's missing. I loved the aroma that came from all those sawdust burners that are all gone now! That whole area used to smell like perfume to me! Ah well,.....that was then! Things change, right?

By the way Pat,...that was part of my territory when I worked as Lieutenant of Police for the Milwaukee Road out of Deer Lodge, Mt. My territory was east from Deer Lodge to Three Forks, and west out of Deer Lodge to East Portal (tunnel in the Bitteroots right on the Montana/Idaho border) and eventually, my territory was extended further west to Avery, Idaho, and then finally all the way to St. Maries, Idaho. I think I had the longest territory of any of the Milwaukee Road Police Departments Line Lieutenants,....from Three Forks, Mt. all the way to St. Maries, Idaho! If I ever knew the distance, I've forgotten, but it had to be at least 500 miles of railroad! Whew! No wonder I was never home! Mostly good memories though,.......thanks Pat.........harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, October 24, 2017 - 11:21 pm:

Shoot!!! I said "St. Portal,....but I meant EAST PORTAL! Sorry....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, October 25, 2017 - 08:48 am:

Bob, that is the REO. Ben Box was the gentleman who owned it. He lived in Wendall, ID. I'm glad you have that photo. It was a nice Brewsterish green then. Here it is in Boise 2009.

Pat, the Northern areas of Idaho and Montana are spectacular. I haven't toured there enough. Keep me posted on what you are doing.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, October 25, 2017 - 10:22 am:

As for the Tudor, Richard Bingham put me onto a nice barn find in 1964. I traded him the Roadster body on it for a Touring body he had. More seating. I "restored" it that year as a 17 year old with few resources would. It served me well around town but the ignition and fuel system were never quite right.

The 80's and a family came along and a closed car seemed more practical. T sedan and coupe parts were not expensive when they could be found. Eventually I found enough pieces to put the Tudor body together but by then the children were grown. They had survived the back seats in my Speedster for those years in all kinds of weather. Fortunately, Joy kept them packed in coats and sweaters in the cold months.

We have enjoyed the Tudor for years but it sits in the garage during warm, open car season. I can see now how nice it would have been to keep the Roadster together as original but our perspectives were different back then.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Wednesday, October 25, 2017 - 11:12 am:

Rich, I also regret a lot of things we did back then, but then again, I don't reckon if there's interest in '70s models now that folks are being awfully careful about authenticity.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, October 25, 2017 - 11:36 am:

Those were the best years in so many ways. It's just a thought and not a regret.

That car was so easy to title back then ('64). An officer came to the house to verify engine number and a quick trip to the courthouse and it was done. It does bring up a favorite DVM story. They didn't recognize the term "Touring Car".
"Does it have 2 doors or 4 doors?"
"3"
".....Hmm.... Does it have a front and back seat or just a front seat?"
"Front and back."
"OK. It's a Sedan"
"OK"
So when I put the Tudor body on it I told folks I was doing it to make it correct for the title. :0)
Later I told them it was a 2-door Sedan.
They have now revised it to being a "Coupe".
God bless the bureaucracy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Erfert on Wednesday, October 25, 2017 - 12:09 pm:

Great pictures Richard, except for the red pin stripe I would have sworn that was our '25. We just did a 100+ mile tour last week end and could have taken a similar photo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Doris, AZ on Wednesday, October 25, 2017 - 12:46 pm:

Richard, great story and pictures about the Tudor and its evolution through the years. Thanks for sharing the photos and info on the 1913 REO as well. Who would have thought that 49 years later I would find out additional information as well as the owner of that REO back in the day! :-) The current red is nice, I did like the “Brewsterish green”, black fender combo though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, October 25, 2017 - 01:40 pm:

Richard E., aren't Tudors wonderful? I can't find a flaw in them other than the visor hides traffic lights. I am glad you are enjoying yours.
Bob, It is great to remember those years. Not only the trip but digging these old photos out has been a most pleasant time.
Thanks All
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Erfert on Wednesday, October 25, 2017 - 07:25 pm:

The visor is great but it does become a problem with the traffic lights, that is why my wife is along and sits lower in the passenger seat. Joyce gives me directions.Thanks again for the pictures I will send one of ours when I shrink it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 08:54 am:

Get a "Light in Sight" stick-on Fresnel lens:

http://www.lightinsight.com/

I have no connection other than as a satisfied customer. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 10:52 am:

That would help Mark. I can usually "see the light" reflected in the paint on the hood. I suppose the traffic lights hung lower in the twenties.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration