How to clean engine pan for painting

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: How to clean engine pan for painting
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Monday, October 23, 2017 - 05:19 pm:

I am changing out my 3 dip pan for a 4 dip pan on the tour car I'm putting together. Have a reinforcing sling for it so am not too worried about structural loss, but am in a quandry as to how to adequately clean it for painting. I am not worried about straightness right now, but am curious as to how folks go about the cleaning part. I'm particularly concerned about trapped media down at the drain hole around the plate that is riveted there...seems like a great place to not be able to clean post blasting. Maybe simply flushing like crazy is what folks do, but would like to hear it from those that have been here before me...thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Monday, October 23, 2017 - 05:27 pm:

Scott,

If you are talking about blasting to prep the metal before painting, you can take rags and stuff them in holes and baffles and duct tap over them. Leave the drain plug in place. Flip it over and blast the outside only.

If your talking on getting the grease and gunk out, good old fashioned hand scrubbing with your favorite degreaser is what I have done. I have used small and medium size wire brushes and red scotchbrite pads with the degreaser. Rinse well and wear gloves.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Monday, October 23, 2017 - 05:31 pm:

Scott: I take the lead out of the front dam, have to reseal it any way. I then take it to a local auto mach shop and have them vat it. Best $10.00 I have spent. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, October 23, 2017 - 07:42 pm:

Scott, if you have a machine/engine shop nearby I'd take it there. Usually they have large enough dip tanks that they could give it a good soaking, bet they'd do it for about $20 bucks. I know my favorite shop would! Just a thought. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Monday, October 23, 2017 - 07:48 pm:

I vote with Chad. No need to make a big deal out of it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Spencer Vibert - Granby ,CT on Monday, October 23, 2017 - 09:51 pm:

I have them hot tanked at $30 its well worth it

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, October 23, 2017 - 10:13 pm:

I've blasted them and had no trouble getting all the sand out. I would certainly get it straightened before painting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, October 23, 2017 - 11:09 pm:

Hot tanking will/can remove the solder at the front dam.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Monday, October 23, 2017 - 11:12 pm:

"Easy Off Oven Cleaner" is a great degreaser. Spray it on, let it work then hose it off. May need to do it several times, but it does the best job on crusty, 100 year old baked on oil, grease and dirt. Wipe down with lacquer thinner before painting to remove any residue. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Tuesday, October 24, 2017 - 12:37 am:

The only way to clean under the plate over the drain hole is to remove the two rivets and take the plate off. Its possible to trap a lot of crud under there. Clean things up, replace the rivets and braze the heads.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Tuesday, October 24, 2017 - 05:04 am:

Besides catching the crud, what is the reason for that plate? What would it hurt to remove it? Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph A. Stearns on Tuesday, October 24, 2017 - 07:04 am:

I’m with Jim Patrick on this one. I like the oven cleaner at the dollar store—-cheap —just power wash it off —next clean part with grease and wax cleaner—paint with your favorite paint—I’ve had good luck with Rustoleum Semi gloss. Quick and easy!! Good luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Tuesday, October 24, 2017 - 09:50 am:

Dan, I think the plate's purpose is to catch small items such as small screws, cotter pins, washers and nuts and keep them below the path of the flywheel, so that they don't get sucked back up into the magneto and short it out. I think it is useful and effective, for I have found such items below the plate when changing my oil. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Tuesday, October 24, 2017 - 07:19 pm:

And Jim Patrick,don't forget band rivets.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration