Taper leaf spring

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Taper leaf spring
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By william m leahy on Monday, October 23, 2017 - 06:12 pm:

What is the o.d. of the taper leaf front spring bushing. Is it different than that of later non-taper leaf front spring bushings ? Thanks for any help with this question.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Monday, October 23, 2017 - 07:57 pm:

11/16", nominally. It's listed as used 09-27 so its dimensions likely never changed substantively.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By william m leahy on Monday, October 23, 2017 - 08:14 pm:

Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, October 23, 2017 - 09:51 pm:

I use the bronze ones. I'd rather wear out bushings than shackles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By william m leahy on Tuesday, October 24, 2017 - 09:49 am:

Steve,

I agree. I also like the all thread method in lieu of the bushing driver. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, October 24, 2017 - 10:31 am:

To each his own. I use a bushing driver. I usually have to ream them a bit anyhow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By william m leahy on Tuesday, October 24, 2017 - 03:46 pm:

I have removed the brass or bronze bushings from the taper lief spring. They have the same I.D. but the O.D. mics at 0.765. The bushings supplied by the vendor were 7/16" O.D. I have another taper lief spring with identical larger O.D. sized bushings. Therefore the '09-27 seems to be incorrect.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By william m leahy on Tuesday, October 24, 2017 - 03:48 pm:

Leaf that is. Dreaded auto correct strikes again

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, October 24, 2017 - 05:44 pm:

William, perhaps your springs have replacement main leaves. Your measurement is approx the 3/4" od of the rear spring bushes.
The 7/16" od of the bushes supplied by your vendor makes no sense. That is less than the shackle pin diameter.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By william m leahy on Tuesday, October 24, 2017 - 06:59 pm:

Alan,

Sorry, yes of course,that should have been 11/16. I need to proof read I guess. :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Tuesday, October 24, 2017 - 07:06 pm:

I have had to turn my own bushings out of brass a couple times because the eye of the spring was bigger than standard.
One of these tapered leaf fronts was definitely aftermarket, as it had the little dimples instead of a spring center bolt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By william m leahy on Wednesday, October 25, 2017 - 07:43 am:

In over 90 years, the 2 taper leaf springs that I have, may well have been modified. I also had to fabricate replacement bushings. Thanks for all the input.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By william m leahy on Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 04:50 pm:

Just a follow up on my original post. I ordered bronze bushings from a local company. They were 3/4" x 9/16" x 1.5 inches. They fit the spring "eye"perfectly. The perches took the regular steel bushings

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration