Rear axle gaskets and sealers ?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Rear axle gaskets and sealers ?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Hand on Monday, October 23, 2017 - 08:28 pm:

Wondering was the method of choice to reseal the rear axle during an overhaul??? Gasket, permatex, an anerobic gasket maker. Getting ready for the you know what!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Borland. Bathurst. NSW. Australia. on Monday, October 23, 2017 - 08:46 pm:

G'day George,
I was taught as an apprentice the tried and true method of gasket and sealer.
Properly prepared surface,good quality gasket and sealer works well and gives good service.
I use Permatex non hardening sealer. Need not reapply and check bolt tightness during routine servicing and no leaks.

Peter

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, October 23, 2017 - 11:12 pm:

I use Permatex anerobic gasket sealer when I do Model T and A's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Tuesday, October 24, 2017 - 02:54 am:

If you haven't seen or used Ultra Black by Permatex your really missing a super great adhesive that nearly guarantees an oil leak free job. You just have to have a clean oil free surface when you assemble. It can be used for many other things like glueing on a crankshaft oil seal or seat and top repair or coolant leaks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Tuesday, October 24, 2017 - 07:44 am:

I use Ultra-Black with the proper gaskets. Like Gene says: make darn sure the surfaces are spotlessly clean without ANY traces of oil on them before applying the gaskets with sealer. I also give them 24 hours to cure before adding rear end lube.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cameron Whitaker, Oklahoma City on Tuesday, October 24, 2017 - 09:28 am:

Personally, I just use a paper gasket and don't bother with any sealer. You still should make sure that the surfaces are clean. I've been driving my T for quite a while and haven't had a problem with leaks at the rear end.

600W isn't a big escape artist :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration