Aluminum head

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Aluminum head
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Compton on Monday, October 23, 2017 - 08:32 pm:

I've just bought an aluminum head that sure looks like a Prus head but I don't think it is. It has the raised letters "VTH" and number "1000L" cast into the top left rear of the head as well as "09-19". It's lower than a regular high head. The combustion chambers are shallow and smooth similar to the Prus head and unlike the "Z" head. Any ideas????? Thanks : Bruce

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe bell on Monday, October 23, 2017 - 09:16 pm:

reeder head with out the made in usa

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Compton on Monday, October 23, 2017 - 09:24 pm:

Thanks Joe, it has the "FORD" script in the middle-side, and "made in" before, and "USA" after the script. It also has the number "24" near the rear of the head.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, October 23, 2017 - 10:55 pm:

The Reeder heads had a "4' raised on the top of the water outlet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Monday, October 23, 2017 - 11:08 pm:

Some Reeder heads had the Ford script, I owned two of them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Monday, October 23, 2017 - 11:30 pm:

Shallow and smooth, anything like this?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Tuesday, October 24, 2017 - 11:16 am:

Early Reeder head. Good find.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Compton on Tuesday, October 24, 2017 - 07:02 pm:

Frank : It's exactly like the one you showed. It says "REEDER" inside the front neck flange and obviously it was intended to replace a low head, but I may try it on my '25. Thanks : Bruce

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Tuesday, October 24, 2017 - 07:33 pm:

Bruce,
The one I have is a low head, Ford script and made in USA on it. Made by Parker, I can't remember the full story on them but something to do with patent? or royalties for the Ford script? so not to many around.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, October 24, 2017 - 09:50 pm:

A friend in New Zealand and I both had the same problem with Reader heads as shown by Frank. The large water jacket hole between cylinders 2 and 3 has no coresponding hole in the block. Both our heads developed leaks on operaration. The large holes were welded closed, new steam holes drilled, the heads re surfaced.
This cured the warping problem.
Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration