Grandad's Model T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Grandad's Model T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Curtis Fesler on Tuesday, October 24, 2017 - 07:54 am:

My grandfather, long deceased, told me stories of pioneering in Western Nebraska when I was a boy. Around 1914 he became the first resident of Broadwater, Neb. and opened a store. Sometime after that he began buying Model T fords. He said he bought a new T every year. He said he never went anywhere without having a flat tire. He related he had a cut out on his T and being a practical joker he loved roaring through town at 3AM following a party. When he referred to a cut out, was he talking about a header he could release? Or was it a whistle?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Tuesday, October 24, 2017 - 08:00 am:

It could be either as they both run off the exhaust. What ever happened to the one year old T's? Did he collect them or trade them in?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Tuesday, October 24, 2017 - 08:53 am:

heres an exhaust whistle under a "T"
It had a pedal sticking up through the floorboards that you stepped on and that would operate linkage hooked to a two position valve that diverted your exhaust flow through the whistle.

He's lucky one of his neighbors didnt spend a night sleeping on the porch with a shotgun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKBVkdDdiPE

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, October 24, 2017 - 08:54 am:

The term "cut out" was usually meant for a pedal operated exhaust by pass before the muffler, supposedly to get some more power out on the open roads, not in town. Exhaust whistles were also made and operated by pedal, but the whistle pedals weren't made to stay down as a cut out pedal could.

Cut outs and pedals are available as repros.

dfr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, October 24, 2017 - 08:55 am:

Cool story. Imagine buying a new T every year! Wonder for how long? He must've been pretty well off financially I would think.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Curtis Fesler on Tuesday, October 24, 2017 - 09:35 pm:

My Grandfather was sort of a gambler when it came to business. He moved around opening banks and stores. He never said what he did with the old cars as he bought new ones. Of course at that time they were nothing but daily transportation and costs very little. He did tell me that when driving in the plains and it got dark you simply went to any farm or ranch house and they would put you up. They had dance parties in Western Nebraska that went on nearly all night. It must have been a great time to live.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Curtis Fesler on Tuesday, October 24, 2017 - 09:37 pm:

Now I want one in order to terrorize my own neighborhood.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, October 25, 2017 - 08:53 am:

Curtis, what a nice glimpse into the teens. Thanks for sharing this.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Wednesday, October 25, 2017 - 05:06 pm:

Don't need a cut out to terrorize, annoy, piss off the residents. We have plenty of Harleys with megaphone exhausts to do that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daren Carlson on Wednesday, October 25, 2017 - 06:51 pm:

I will agree on the Harleys.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman, New Zealand on Wednesday, October 25, 2017 - 10:29 pm:

The heading of this thread (Grandad's Model T) made me stop and have a think. My first grandchild (due in December) will be able to say that about MY model T.

My how time flies!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Curtis Fesler on Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 07:45 am:

Maybe I'll just wake up the neighbors who ride loud Harleys.

I looked under my recently purchased T and noticed the strange looking muffler. There is very little opening for exhaust gasses to escape. Is this set up good for power and efficiency or for just quieting the motor?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration