Fuel Shut Off

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Fuel Shut Off
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Stevens on Tuesday, October 24, 2017 - 02:29 pm:

My fuel shut off leaks even when in the off position. Are there replacements to be found. Mine is the original brass looking valve.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Tuesday, October 24, 2017 - 02:44 pm:

Yep, replacements can be bought. Consider a rebuild of what you have first, nothing about a T is particularly difficult to learn to do and replacement parts often aren't quite as good as originals.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, October 24, 2017 - 02:50 pm:

I shut off my fuel without a valve at the carb. That's one of several approaches covered here: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/779545.html?1503057551

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Tuesday, October 24, 2017 - 03:04 pm:

I rebuilt mine with new parts and it didn't stop the leak. I am not sure why, it leaks, but it does. I have to use an inline shut-off valve.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Seelman on Tuesday, October 24, 2017 - 03:47 pm:

While it doesn't look period, I like my ball valve. Easy to turn and never leaks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Tuesday, October 24, 2017 - 07:41 pm:

John, Where did you find a small diameter metal ball valve? The ones I find are all plastic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, October 24, 2017 - 09:16 pm:

Any decent local hardware store will have metal ball valves in several sizes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Tuesday, October 24, 2017 - 09:32 pm:

Some have reported smearing polishing compound between the brass mating surfaces and then rotating the handle back and forth to make everything mate better and not leak. I have never done this so hopefully someone with experience will chime in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, October 24, 2017 - 09:46 pm:

I have this one on all my cars. They don't leak, and except for one, they also don't get so stiff you have to use a pair of pliers on 'em to turn 'em.
https://www.modeltford.com/item/6055.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Weisgerber- Vancouver WA. on Tuesday, October 24, 2017 - 11:26 pm:

"Some have reported smearing polishing compound between the brass mating surfaces and then rotating the handle back and forth to make everything mate better and not leak. I have never done this so hopefully someone with experience will chime in."

Michael I have used the soft metal (yellow container) Time Saver on the original sediment bulb shut-off and the brass elbow shut-off I have at the carburetor with great success. It's a "cone" type also. I also use EZ-turn Lang's PN #2902Lub It's been three years and no leaks or seepage.The ball type valve is a nice valve If one likes the look of them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Seelman on Wednesday, October 25, 2017 - 07:39 am:

Thomas, Steve is correct, I got mine at a plumbing supply house. Mine is 1/8 inch so the big box stores may not have them. You can always order from amazon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Carrico on Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 10:23 pm:

Per Michael Pawelek's comment.
My period shutoff at the carb leaked; it was disassembled and some rubbing compound applied. I chucked the handle in a hand drill since things were a little rough and let it spin gently. On reassembly a touch of silicone dielectric grease was applied since it was close at hand and a thin washer added to pull things a bit tighter because the taper sits quite deep in the bore. I would hope most tapers don't need enough material removed to warrant an extra washer to take things up tight but who knows how many times this one has been polished in the past.
This was six months or more ago and it still operates well without leaking hopefully it keeps working for years to come.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration