OT lionel hurrican Irma 2 year old

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT lionel hurrican Irma 2 year old
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Wednesday, October 25, 2017 - 12:09 am:

I am still trying to rebuild our home and we are staying at a friend house still. Next month Axel will be turning 3, in the storm all the lionel o72 track was destroyed. It would be wonderful to be able to replace the o72 track for his bday so that he could use it for Christmas if anybody has any they could spare. The o72 turns are the best for him as he can run them at speed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, October 25, 2017 - 01:20 am:

You mean 027? (O27?) It was a cheaper alternative to the "O" gauge but ran the same trains etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Hand on Wednesday, October 25, 2017 - 04:58 am:

O-72 has a wider radius 72" I believe, O-27 is 27", O gage is 34", O gauge is heaver duty than O-27

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Humphrey on Wednesday, October 25, 2017 - 07:10 am:

OH,,, MY...I'm lost in this thread..
LOL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Wednesday, October 25, 2017 - 08:52 am:

I was on the dark side (HO) in the 70's. Sorry, don't have any O, think we already traded that stuff away for more HO.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Wednesday, October 25, 2017 - 08:52 am:

George is correct, the O72 is much more difficult to find than the more common O27.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, October 25, 2017 - 09:01 am:

I thought the three-rail track was pretty lame. I made sure my folks knew that only American Flyer would do. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, October 25, 2017 - 09:20 am:

That's why I went to HO guage when I was a kid. I had a heckuva train layout, took up an entire 12 x 24 foot room in the basement, other than the furnace. Wish I still had it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, October 25, 2017 - 01:39 pm:

I'm with Steve J. All AF here! However, there is a train show coming up in two weeks, and I can look for some. Another alternative is the wide radius Marx track; it's not as "sturdy" as the Lionel stuff, and might be harder to find--since I've never looked for it, I don't know! My cousins had quite a bit of it, by my Aunt gave it all way because I "already had too many trains."!!! Boy, if she saw what I have now!!
Old track is not considered very valuable (at least in the 3-rail crowd) so I Might be able to get you a nice pile cheap.
Come to think of it, I will post your request on the Toytrains.com list, someone might be near you with some.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, October 25, 2017 - 04:01 pm:

Sorry Chad, guess I can't help much. I was not familiar with an 0-72, just the 027. I was five when I got my set. Too young to argue the "three rail" bit, however, it did begin to bother me just a few years later. I do still have my old set, and most of my brother's set he got a couple years later (since he died a few years ago). I didn't know if I could find any of the long packed away track or not? But if it is the wrong thing, won't help much anyway.

I am not exactly sure why, but one of my uncles was a real Lionel buff. His family had an incredible (for those days) "O" gauge train layout in the barn loft (the set got too big for the living room!). He was an uncle by marriage, but I got to know his mother and much of his family (he and my dad were really close friends). On his mother's walnut orchard ranch, was a "playhouse" that looked like it was right out of a fairy tale. It was really fancy with a miniature kitchen (fully functional), small rooms and even an attic play area. I once discovered a very old large Lionel train set stashed behind a wall partition in that attic. I knew it was something special even when I was less than ten. But that family was a bit strange. They were well-off, and liked to flaunt it. But they never seemed to really appreciate anything unless someone else wanted it. You pretty much couldn't get anything from them, even with an offer well over its actual value. There was so much good old stuff (model A Fords and other cars from the '30s and '40s), toys, games, books. Stuff was often tossed outside and left just to show it was theirs to do with as they pleased. I know that literally tons of desirable stuff wound up as scrap or landfill. Fairly sure that is where the Lionel set went.
Ah, well. It is what it is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Hand on Wednesday, October 25, 2017 - 09:16 pm:

Wayne;
" I once discovered a very old large Lionel train set stashed behind a wall partition in that attic" I all likely hood that may have been a Standard Gauge set, Started about 1906 until the start of WWII, O gauge was started a few years before WWII, Neat stuff some very pricey , I have quite a few pieces, mine are the black model T price wise, not the Brass era Price wise.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Hand on Wednesday, October 25, 2017 - 09:17 pm:

Wayne;
" I once discovered a very old large Lionel train set stashed behind a wall partition in that attic" I all likelihood that may have been a Standard Gauge set, Started about 1906 until the start of WWII, O gauge was started a few years before WWII, Neat stuff some very pricey , I have quite a few pieces, mine are the black model T price wise, not the Brass era Price wise.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 10:58 am:

Hi Steve, Although I had Lionel, I did think that the S gauge American Flyer was a better alternative. You could get more railroad into the same space, yet it was easier to handle then HO. I currently have a bunch of G gauge stuff, but I have not been able to find time to set it up. Here in Sunny Florida it pretty much has to be under a roof, and that roof has to be high-wind resistant.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 11:29 am:

My first set was Marx O scale. Then it was HO, never had a place to set up so just collected a lot to build my empire! Sold most of the track and trains only keeping a few pieces that meant something. Collected some Marx tin type, enough to do double loop track on 4 X 7 layout. Did do a brief stint with AM Flyer and may sell the Marx and do something with the 2 rail AF scale. Not a lot of choices in rolling stock but the loco's have better detail then the tin type Marx and it's a good choice between HO (Half of O) and O.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 11:45 am:

Mark, we in S will tell you that there is a reason Superman wears a big S on his suit!
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 11:50 am:

LOL good point David!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration