FJ- Dodging a tornado or two .....

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: FJ- Dodging a tornado or two .....
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Wednesday, October 25, 2017 - 07:51 am:

I always try to check the weather ahead down the road.

I was traveling I-77 south from Ohio where I dropped a 1925 Fordor off Sunday to Bruce in Stone Creek, OH traveling thru light rain.

Things did not look good for Hickory, NC ....

So I got off the road early on Monday well north of the area.

About 6:00 pm on Monday the building I was to deliver this 1930 Franklin to was hit - the roof was partially tore off but the cars inside (including a Marmon undergoing restoration)
were not damaged.

The alternative location I dropped off to yesterday - about (7) miles away - had downed power lines and uprooted trees less than a mile way.

My luck is holding ..... :-)

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darryl Bobzin on Wednesday, October 25, 2017 - 08:29 am:

Jim, Your last two trips to NC have been met with foul weather. We will try to do better for you next time through.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Wednesday, October 25, 2017 - 09:05 am:

Thanks Darryl,

That is the closest I have been to a tornado in a few years.

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, October 25, 2017 - 09:18 am:

Glad you dodged a bullet! Stay safe. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, October 25, 2017 - 07:19 pm:

Yikes! And wow! So you are the one that delivered that beautiful Franklin to its new home! I have belatedly followed the thread on AACA about it. There seemed to be some questionable discussion about the car? However, the only comments there when I read through all of it were positive.
So, I ask, how IS the car up close! It sure looked nice in the photos on AACA forum! I am just curious, as I have always had a fondness for Franklin automobiles. My dad had one when I was about 4 to 6 years old. Always wanted one. I never had one. Regardless, my congratulations to the new owner!
And that tornado thing is scary. I am glad the new caretaker's damage was limited mostly to the buildings. I've been close to a tornado a couple times in my life. Twice in Califunny (believe it or not). (I still have portions of the communications tower taken down by one that hit San Jose Ca a couple decades ago.)
The other time in Denver. That was interesting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Wednesday, October 25, 2017 - 07:51 pm:

Wayne,

I am a dues paying member of the AACA and have been on the forum for years.

They tend not to be kind - they like to pick things apart - lot of armchair experts over there.

I like the car - it is in good condition - it is a rare car.

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, October 25, 2017 - 10:31 pm:

Thank you FJ! I know that you are a member there, and often see your posts. Like here, they are always very enjoyable. I also appreciate that you are an honest dues paying member of so many clubs. I used to be, but circumstances have changed that.
Franklin has such a wonderful history. Their contributions to the early development of the automobile are many, and significant. They may have made it to today if it hadn't been for the crash, and the following depression. One can only wonder what the automotive world would look like today if it wasn't barely the big three here and everyone else overseas.
I remember looking at the "for sale" listing for that Franklin when it first came out. I thought it was such a rare and fantastic car, that I couldn't bare to follow it till after if dropped out of sight. When it came back to the top with the clever "sold" I was pleased, and only then read the rest of the postings. I still have no idea what the hoopla was about (some put-downs and bad mouthing evidenced only by other people's rebuttals, so I can only guess that someone eliminated the put-downs). I usually follow the Franklins for sale, there and occasionally a few other sites. Wonderful cars! And I have only ever seen a few similar to that one. Great car, rare for Franklin body. I recall seeing a '27 Franklin cabriolet about forty years ago. Don't think I have ever seen a '30.
Thank you for the reply. Sometimes, we here also can pick cars apart. Usually, as a hopefully learning/teaching effort. But, sometimes, I wonder.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Wednesday, October 25, 2017 - 10:38 pm:

Wayne,

It is the only Franklin I have hauled or probably ever will haul.
It is a well built car to be sure.

I am picking up at least one vehicle for the MTFCA Museum on this trip - thank you for the kind words - I always give back whether it is paying dues or helping out with transport - it is the natural thing to do.

This forum is my home - I post here more than anywhere else.

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Wednesday, October 25, 2017 - 10:44 pm:

I think this Franklin had hydraulic brakes on all (4) wheels.

It also appeared to have the original airplane hood ornament with the spinning prop.

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 01:02 am:

I am not sure when Franklin adopted hydraulic brakes. But it was fairly early. I am fairly sure a neighbor's '27 touring car (oh THAT was a LONG time ago!) did not have hydraulic brakes. I think it may have been two wheel brakes at that. Franklin did had a service brake on a drum on the drive shaft for some years, but I couldn't say just when. I am pretty certain they had hydraulic brakes on all four wheels by 1929.
As for the airplane ornament? I know that they used several different ones as optional ornaments in the early '30s, and maybe a couple years before. Their lion ornament is much more common, and was used through most of the '20s. I understand that knowing one lion from another is quite an art. One of the models sold in the early '30s was the "Airman" series. I am not sure, but think they may have been a smaller model made for depression survival. I am fairly sure the Airman series is later than the subject 1930 model.
I asked my dad several times about the Franklin he had when I was small. But he never seemed to be sure what year or model it was. I have looked at many pictures of '31/'32 Franklins and wondered if his was like this one or that one. None of them ever quite fit my memory. It certainly was nothing like that beautiful '30!
Thank you FJ! I would hope you get to haul another one some day. Better yet, maybe drive one?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration