OT - Dilbert.com

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT - Dilbert.com
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, San Diego near the Presidio on Wednesday, October 25, 2017 - 10:28 am:

I am a daily reader of Dilbert.com. Scott Adams, the creator of the strip admits he gets ideas from the auto companies.

Today, I think he used this forum as his inspiration. The pointy haired boss says "Watch me win this debate with facts and logic" as he posts on line. Then he says "Now we wait for everyone in the world to change their minds"....

I'm waiting for a Dilbert on water pumps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Rhoads on Wednesday, October 25, 2017 - 12:15 pm:

I have this one on my office wall.

http://dilbert.com/search_results?month=2&page=2&sort=date_asc&year=2013

It should be the first one that pops up -- Feb. 11, 2013.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, October 25, 2017 - 04:09 pm:

Hey! I resemble that remark!
Which one?
Both of them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Wednesday, October 25, 2017 - 05:11 pm:

Interesting how a cartoon from Feb 20, 2013 could be so relevant today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, October 25, 2017 - 05:25 pm:

The best comic strips are almost all that way. Pogo by Walt Kelly, ran in newspapers for about 25 years (ending about 45 years ago), and was probably the most politically pointed and topical comic of its day. Yet, if you read it today, you would wonder how he KNEW what our world would look like now.
Scott Adams has a similar eye to human failings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, October 25, 2017 - 06:36 pm:

My Dad would read Pogo Stepmother Goose and Pogo Just So stories to us as kids, and we would tell him, "Stop laughing and read the story!" The family's copies are so dog-eared, that I bought replacements off e-Bay--and they are STILL funny! Even though I almost know them by heart.
Said simple Simon to the pie-man, "Let me taste your Ware" "My Where? I'm here!!". . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Wednesday, October 25, 2017 - 11:58 pm:

My dad was a mans man and did incredible restoration and machine work on brass era automobiles.

He was a Sunday funny paper reader. However his favs were "Brenda Starr Reporter" the Phantom, and Dick Tracy.

go figure,

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 12:38 am:

David D, I started reading Pogo in the paper when I was about eight. Been my favorite ever since. I have a couple of the Pogo books that I got way back when. Then about ten years ago, I decided I needed to read more of it again. I now have about thirty Pogo books. They occupy a couple bookshelves downstairs, and usually one or two books that I am currently reading in the living room upstairs. Time to switch them around again. I just finished the ones up here a couple weeks ago, and need a fresh one or two soon. There are only a few of those books that I haven't read entirely from cover to cover.

BCG, My grandparents used to save the Sunday funnies for me so that when I/we would visit, I could catch up on the ones that were not in the San Jose paper. San Jose's paper had Dick Tracy, and I followed it for years. "Brenda Starr" I will say was never one of my favorites, although I remember it well, along with "The Phantom" which I read both in the Modesto paper.

Is it possible to have too many passions? Antique automobiles, classical music, film history, history in general, astrophysics, and comic strips. Hmm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 01:19 am:

Wayne, Yes it IS possible!! Oh well. . . There's a Root Beer float waiting for me (Linda just delivered it, LATER!!
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 01:35 am:

I want a book of Out Our Way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 02:58 am:

Steve J, "Out Our Way" was fantastic! I did see a book of it many years ago. Can't remember when or where, just that I remember wishing I could get it. I think it was hardcover.
So much going on in a single panel. Hidden gems of social commentary. And usually at least one little zinger to finish it off. It was another one I looked forward to reading when we went to visit the grandparents. Unfortunately, they wouldn't save all the dailies for me, so I had to dig through the newspaper pile by the firewood bins.
How we suffered so.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 08:39 am:

"Can't remember when or where, just that I remember wishing I could get it."

At your service, good sir:

https://www.amazon.com/Out-Our-Way-J-WILLIAMS/dp/B0000D5M0O

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 09:54 am:

After making the post above I looked it up and ordered a copy.

Wayne, you can still do that. Go to a library where they have the local newspaper on microfilm. It's fun going through the papers during the twenties and thirties and following the daily comics. Another favorite is Our Boarding House.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 04:29 pm:

Pogo, "We have met the enemy and he is us."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 05:01 pm:

If I remember this thread in mid-December, I will post the words to "Deck Us All With Boston Charlie" - possibly my favorite Christmas carol. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 05:05 pm:

Steve J, I still use "FAP" in place of real cuss words! Although, I did cut back on it after I was informed that the term has acquired a new and potentially offensive connotation. (AH, the changing nature of linguistics!)
Gasoline Alley, Out Our Way, and Our Boarding House were all wonderful looks into our past. That, as well as good comical entertainment, and social commentary.

Dick L, Thank you for that link!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 05:09 pm:

Oh, and David D, I did move my Pogo books, and spent an hour last night readin-----LOOK! A squirrel!
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sullivan on Friday, October 27, 2017 - 12:03 pm:

Howcum nobody mentioned Lil Abner? Dave in Bellingham,WA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Friday, October 27, 2017 - 03:12 pm:

In the early seventies while visiting a gift shop in Baton Rouge I discovered in a display case a huge leather bound compilation of Pogo stories. The drawings were in color and each page was about 12 x 18. The price was three hundred dollars and way out of my my league but I have thought of that book countless times since then. Never have seen another. Still enjoy reading the pocket book versions I have though. Churchy and Albert still crack me up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Friday, October 27, 2017 - 04:06 pm:

I always liked Calvin & Hobbes:

http://i.imgur.com/Pbap0sm.jpg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, October 27, 2017 - 06:50 pm:

Sam Watterson and his "Calvin and Hobbs" have something in common with Walt Kelly and "Pogo". Both wholly owned their comic strips and the characters. Both disdained excessive marketing and refused to allow much merchandising of their characters. Both issued books, both companion type books and collections of previously run comic strips. The books were generally under their complete control (as long as he lived for Walt).
Contracts vary, but most strips are largely owned by the distributing agency. Most artists have pretty complete control over the strip itself, but marketing and merchandising are usually handled by the features syndicate and totally under their control. It is generally a profitable partnership for the artist, as the syndicate tries to make a lot of money from coffee mugs, calendars, and note pads, and the artist gets a good share of the profits.
Both Kelly and Watterson preferred the strip remain largely a cross between a pure comic art-form, and their personal commentary platform. Both could have made a lot more money if they had allowed widespread merchandising, and they knew it. Both also have been quoted as saying something to the effect that selling out that way would make their strips less meaningful.
Considering how popular both of them are so many years after they left the funny pages? Maybe they were both right?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Carrico on Friday, October 27, 2017 - 09:30 pm:

Amen Wayne! I grew up with and still miss Watterson's work but he had some real dignity and went out on a high note. Bill Watterson seems to be all but totally off of the social grid these days, I would love to see new material (not C&H) of some type, but feel that is unlikely.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Friday, October 27, 2017 - 09:51 pm:

Wayne,
Bill Watterson is the Calvin creator- Sam Waterston is the actor from that Law & Order T.V. show and the movie about the Khmer Rouge genocide called "The Killing Fields"- but yeah, I agree with your comparisons of Pogo/Calvin!

Matt Groening's Pre-Simpsons ("Life in Hell") work is also great stuff, and I still get snagged watching a Simpson's marathon on TV every now and then!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, October 27, 2017 - 10:31 pm:

I knew that! Boy I sure took a wrong turn on the name! One guess what TV show the wife had on when I wrote that.
I wonder what the Okeefenokee Glee and Perloo fire department would charge for giving me fifty lashes with a well boiled spaghetti?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, October 28, 2017 - 01:21 am:

C&H were/are great. One of my favorite sequences was "The Snowmen." Having lived near a great sledding hill, that I enjoyed clear through high school and some college, I loved the sledding stuff and the snow fort stuff. one of my favorites is C&H riding the wagon down the hill, and Hobbs complaining about the high humidity making him smell funny. Calvin suggests he'd better jump out now and you can see they're headed for a pond.
Great stuff--also followed Peanuts religiously.
Ahh, time to quaff another root beer and smile at the comely French waitress.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Saturday, October 28, 2017 - 01:44 am:

Not having access to those comics I cannot say what correlation they have to real life, as some of you have mentioned.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Saturday, October 28, 2017 - 06:46 am:

Calvin and Hobbs are great, I still have a few books that have survived my more recent disasters. One of these days I want to get the hardbound editions that have the complete collection.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration