OT - Just don't always believe a 'CarFax' report is complete

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT - Just don't always believe a 'CarFax' report is complete
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Wednesday, October 25, 2017 - 02:46 pm:

And, since there has been some past discussions about 'glue' vs. 'welding' body panels....

http://www.powernationtv.com/post/the-couple-whos-car-roof-was-glued-back-togeth er-wins-42-million

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Wednesday, October 25, 2017 - 09:49 pm:

Car fax only tells the official history or repairs
Done by in network shops

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Wednesday, October 25, 2017 - 10:18 pm:

Just the fax ma’am .....

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 01:31 am:

Look at the new chevy door. Glued on I have been told. No blots.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 07:26 am:

A friend asked me to help him look for a new used car after Irma destroyed his. Both cars had a great carfax, no accidents. After looking over it I started pointing out how there was over spray on the front and rear, busted plastic fitting and the door was rubbing the body. It had been in a front and rear fender bender and patched keeping it off insurance. Car number 2 I got under and showed him the rust that was developing in the body seams and exhaust bolts that were already gone. Now he won't look at a car without me so I guess I sort of screwed myself on that one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 10:30 am:

I currently own a car that was clearly rear-ended, but there is no mention of the repairs in the Car-Fax report.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 05:40 pm:

The whole salvage and reports idea was a good one. When it was first started. Then politicians got involved, and big money (mostly insurance industry) began trying to protect their interests. It didn't take long for the whole thing to become a worthless to most money grab for a few.
Quite a few years ago, my youngest son bought his first car. The whole title business had already been corrupted by then. My son's car was a then older Mazda sports car. It was beautiful! The engine area was clean enough to eat off of. The car was straight, no signs of body damage anywhere, and the interior was not perfect, but nice. He had the car less than a week, and some bone-brain moron jumped a light and hit that car in the back. Sad, but not bad, we thought. the hit, low sped. The damage? Mostly all sheet metal, and a broken window. Easy fix. But guess what. The car was "older". Regardless of its previous condition (seriously, this thing was in showable condition), it was evaluated as an average older car as if it had been in poor condition. The insurance offer? Half what he paid for it a week earlier. We fought it a little. The only saving grace, was that he had not been hurt in the slightest, but the insurance company offered him "go away" money for possible injuries. We took it, and he got another car. But that had been a beautiful car, well worthy of collector preservation status. Because they made such decisions on evaluated value, not on actual damage, the car would be FOREVER saddled with a "damaged and salvaged" title. It should have been repaired. Instead, it was junked.
Something that really made me mad? At that time. I knew of a brand new Dodge one ton pickup with all the goodies. A well over (then) $30,000 truck. It had hit a concrete barrier at high speed and literally ripped the left front wheel out from under the chassis. Because the truck (severely damaged in a manor that it would never be truly safe), was still worth nearly twice the repair costs? It did not get a "salvage" title.
Yeah. that really protects the public.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 09:11 pm:

You should have fixed the mazda yourself.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 09:25 pm:

Kep, Believe me. I thought about it. But my son was so upset by the whole episode that he wanted nothing to do with it. And I had so much going on at the time that the last thing I needed was any sort of another project. Especially what I would consider a modern car. He sold it to a Mazda guy that said he would fix it. But we later heard he stripped all the nice stuff out and junked the shell. Seemed like a foolish idea to me. It took about as much work to remove all that stuff as it could have been repaired for.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 09:49 pm:

So many get wrecked here too... now they're worth a fortune even for a rusty smashed up one.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration