Valve clearance

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Valve clearance
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Wednesday, October 25, 2017 - 06:04 pm:

While I'm trying to get all I can out of my new engine I want to check the valve clearances. I know the cam is new but I don't know what brand it is. What should the valves be set at? I've seen from .008 to .015 for intakes and .010 to .018 for exhaust. What would be safe, not knowing the cam specs?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, October 25, 2017 - 06:43 pm:

I use 0.010" for intake and 0.012" for exhaust without problems. Some Ford owners have used a thin dime without trouble :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Wednesday, October 25, 2017 - 07:49 pm:

With modern valves I do the same as Roger. .010 intake, .012 exhaust

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, October 25, 2017 - 07:55 pm:

Same as Roger and Jack.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Wednesday, October 25, 2017 - 08:11 pm:

Tom, cam specs aren't really relevant, it's more to do with metallurgy, expansion of heating metal parts.
Unless you are running the original cast iron head valves, the modern ones, steel or stainless steel, the 10in and 12ex are the way to go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 11:10 am:

Same

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 07:27 pm:

Me three. Or is it four or five? :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration