1913 Trivia

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 1913 Trivia
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, October 25, 2017 - 06:07 pm:

As many of you know I've been studying '13s for all of my adult life, and am in the process of reassembling my '13 runabout. For many years, I've admired a photo that Royce has posted many times of a new 1914 interior, which bears out what I wish to share today. The four carriage bolts that hold the steering column to the firewall are indeed steel, brass plated. That photo has been invaluable to me over the years for identifying little details such as this. The four carriage bolts I'm describing still have the original brass plating on them.
Keep it coming Royce!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano, Bellflower, CA. on Wednesday, October 25, 2017 - 06:46 pm:

Unfortunately Larry, I believe Royce has moved on. It seems that he's started his own Model T related internet forum called FordFix.com

I seriously doubt we'll see his postings here anytime soon. But, you never know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, San Diego near the Presidio on Wednesday, October 25, 2017 - 07:16 pm:

When I was in Dallas on business, Royce stopped by and picked me up at my hotel in his 1910. We drove to his house in rush hour traffic and had a wonderful evening talking Fords in his garage after dinner. I have never known him to be anything other than a gentleman.

He brought a wealth of knowledge to this forum and provided a lot of technical assistance when I was restoring my son's car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, October 25, 2017 - 07:40 pm:

Royce reminded me very much of my own father. And I like him for that. Both are (were) extremely intelligent, and very educated in their fields of expertise. Both are (were) very sure of what they knew, and rightfully so. I miss Royce here. And I wish him well on his website where he still shares his wealth of knowledge about early model Ts and model Ts in general.
I would like to wish that what drove him away from here had never happened.
Thank you, Larry, for that detail, and the kudos to Royce.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Wednesday, October 25, 2017 - 08:23 pm:

Larry knows full well Royce has moved on. :-)
Royce is a very knowledgeable man and a pretty cool guy. :-)
I also wish things had never happened. :-/ His site is pretty cool. modeltfordfix(dot)com

Larry, I do wish you'd share more pics of your 13 build and the associated trivia. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 09:38 am:

I will try to post more photos of my restoration in the future. I'm still pretty old fashioned in many ways, and it's a chore for me to do this stuff.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 10:37 am:

Here is a photo I really like for its detail.

It shows very clearly the dash position of the Stewart-Warner Model C that was furnished in calendar year 1913 on some 1913's and the early 1914 style cars.

The raven finished '13/'14 coil box bolts have brass plated washers and nuts inside the engine compartment on mine.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R. S. Cruickshank on Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 11:48 am:

Larry, an additional point of trivia is that one of the four bolts on the flange is off set. 1913 I believe is the only year this was done. It is found on the lower right of the flange.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, San Diego near the Presidio on Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 11:54 am:

I believe the 1912 column had the offset bolt on the flange too. It was moved when they adopted the slot on the dash.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 02:13 pm:

Both your comments are correct. And the top left hand bolt is longer too to go through the firewall bracket. Here are three photos I took this morning. I'm leaving for Rancho Cordova tomorrow morning for upholstery lessons!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 02:25 pm:

Larry: What is the color? I may want to do my 13 that color. Thanks, Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 04:46 pm:

Larry S, That car is going to be beautiful!
Have fun with the lessons.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 06:07 pm:

Looks great, Larry!

To those that wonder why anyone would need to put a car cover onto a car that is stored in the garage, the first picture shows one reason. :-O

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 08:26 pm:

Ken, that's just too cool. The devil's in the details and they show up in your pic!
What Wayne said Larry. To a T. Pun not intended. :-)
Larry, thank you for posting! Wowee. Glad you included the fourth one. ;-) Jesus, that's pretty.
And I see your views on steering wheels!

Noob question maybe: Guys, can you get the windshield past the steering wheel or do you need to nudge the column a bit?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Henrichs on Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 08:35 pm:

In 1913 the windshield folded forward. In 1914 the supporting brackets were widened (bowed outward)to clear the frame and the windshield top half folded rearward.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Monday, October 30, 2017 - 08:09 am:

Looks good Larry. Any idea when you will be driving it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, October 30, 2017 - 01:40 pm:

I was going to do the upholstery myself, and still might. I'm anxious to get this project finished, so maybe I'll go with Classtique. My good friend Jim Lyons installed a kit in his '13 touring, and it looks very professional, not your typical kit job. I've been on this computer all morning, and need to get to the garage!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration