OT Looking for opinions on a internet provider.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT Looking for opinions on a internet provider.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 10:54 am:

I am currently using cable- its very fast but they have slowly raised the cost to a price that my bride and I consider to much.

Our home phone and TV are provided by cable, cell by a different provider.

From what I hear many folks are going to cell phones only, then using a different provider for TV and home phone.

What works well?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 11:10 am:

I use Verizon for my cell phone, no land line and Dish for TV. Not perfect but the Verizon coverage over most of the country on my recent San Diego, Canada, Hershey,Grass Valley and San Diego journey was close to 100%. The ATT land line is a rip off. My daughter has Direct TV, I donít think there is much to choose between Direct and Dish for similar services. JMHO

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, San Diego near the Presidio on Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 11:22 am:

As my provider continues to raise prices, I continue to cut what I buy from them. I have gone to a Magic Jack plugged into my router to provide home phone service. I kept my phone number. Using an antenna and Roku, I get TV programs and movies from Amazon, Hulu, Pluto and others.

It's working; my bill is lower and my missus is happy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, San Diego near the Presidio on Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 11:26 am:

To clarify the above, I now only have internet from my cable provider.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 11:44 am:

I live where there is NO cell coverage, NO cable, NO wi-fi, and too many trees for satellite (which is a BIG Rip-Off cost-wise), so I have to use a land-line. I was thinking my dial-up service was lousy, so I tried to sign up for the AOL dial-up, since they seem to specialize in it. Well, my connection is too slow to even verify my account so I can use it. I am now fighting to stop payments; when I try to call I get, "your waiting time is over 30 minutes." Ferget that, I'm now seeing if I can cut them off via the credit card.
Recently some low-lifes stole the main phone cable up here, and we were without any service for 5 days!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, San Diego near the Presidio on Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 12:08 pm:

My family has a cottage in Michigan's northern lower peninsula. Due to the nearby forests, our cell phone connection is poor at best. We've designated a talking tree that is a good place to try to make an outgoing call or receive a text.

The local internet terminates several miles away at a gravel patch with some green steel boxes sitting on slabs. There is no immediate plan to extend service.

What I'm banking on is Microsoft's rural internet broadband plan that promises internet everywhere by July 4, 2022. Their strategy involves using some of the frequency designated for TV programs that's not being used in the area. If this plan comes to fruition, I'll be a happy subscriber.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RJ Walworth, New York on Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 02:08 pm:

I use Time Warner at $14.99 a month I also pay for my daughters in here apartment for the same price

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 02:52 pm:

RJ, what do you get for that $14.99?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 02:54 pm:

I do NOT recommend Verizon for internet service. We have some really weird stuff going on with ours. We've used them for several years, but here lately, our "Usage" has doubled and we have not been doing anything differently. They have been "Investigating" for well over a month now. And once they knew we were going to call every few days about it and we had data to back up our claim, such as logs of data usage readings showing use when the damned thing wads turned off, the problem mysteriously went away. Read up on them on the internet. You'll find it's not uncommon. There are those who believe they do it intentionally so you will increase your limit. I gave them the benefit of the doubt and assumed there was a "Glitch", but I'm beginning to think we were being screwed. BTW, don't fall for their "Unlimited" plan. That is utter BS. As soon as you go over 10 gigs, they slow you down to something like 700 Kb/s which is probably slower than dial up. Attempting to use the internet under those circumstances is an exercise in futility and frustration.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 04:42 pm:

Don't listen to me. I am the crazy person. I worked in communication systems contracting for more than 25 years. We did cutting edge work, built some of the earliest cable TV and LAN systems in the state. We were set up and running cable TV satellite tests for HBO and other channels even before they were on cable. We were one of the first companies in the country to run ESPN. I personally designed and built one of the CATV test platforms used to design and test cable internet equipment when it was first being developed. My father designed and built one of the first two way television systems used in a major college campus about 1960. I helped build it when I was eight.
Eventually, I got out of the business (after my father died) because I was just sick and tired of fighting the politics, the broken promises, the lies, fraud and outright deceit of the entire industry.

We have the same problem that Hal Davis talks about on my wife's smartphone. (I still refuse to go to that and have an old tech flip phone myself). I turn off our personal wifi when it should not be in use, and amazingly, most of the fraudulent usage disappeared. (We are fairly certain our system was not piggybacked by a neighbor.) Just like I gripe about unwanted (but necessary) upgrades to our computer (under the guise of security), cell phones and smartphones are also routinely upgraded when you usually don't know it. Apparently, many of those upgrades turn on apps on my wife's phone and makes them run and communicate with the mother-ship (okay, I am being facetious). Many of those apps are NOT wanted, and CANNOT be removed from the phone (a programming trick, too long to explain).
Thirty or forty years ago? This stuff would have been totally illegal, and company executives would have gotten jail time for them. Now? It is just business as usual.

Internet? You are limited to what is available WHERE you are. Period. A very few services are available from satellite. People like David D and I may not be able to use them (without great expense) because of our location. Even IF you can "see" the satellite? MOST of those systems also require a phone path for half the conversation. Several of the satellite systems used to have serious security problems, which at the time, they had no interest in fixing. I do not know if that is still true or not? But for me? It is still a serious trust issue. Verizon also is a serious trust issue. I have read recent reports of serious problems with their mobile internet plans.

I would like very much to drop Dish, and get our TV from someone else. But where we are? Terrestrial broadcasting was marginally receivable in analog. It is not usable in digital because of all the hills and trees here. (Another promise broken). With no CATV within a couple miles, that leaves TV over the internet. But after being lied to so many times, service promised, then taken away with a huge jump in cost? I just don't know who in that industry I can trust.
That leads to something I just do not understand about modern society. Why is it, that most people, after being lied to so MANY times? Keep believing the lies? Or at least they keep blithely saying "that is the way it is" and keep spending their money. That goes for most major businesses today. And it goes for our government and the press, today. I just don't get it.
I gotta find me a little mountain top somewhere to hide out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 05:39 pm:

We use cell phones only, no payment for land line. And my phone is $15 a month, $10 for the wife, talk and text, no data - Tracfone.
We use cable for internet only, no TV, no phone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 06:05 pm:

More interesting with each post----I looked up Amazon phones as my bride dropped hers into a mud puddle. Then checked a few other sites until my head started to ache, It looks to me like pick your poison----- No better place to ask when all of us with common interest use a PC and the net!.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 07:33 pm:

Paul, FWIW here's my 2 cents, as you've gotten all sorts of various answers. As I believe you're only wanting an internet idea, here's what we have:

HughesNet. Ended up switching to them a month ago as our previous ISP, which was a wireless broadband supplier, continually was having outages, the last one going for 17 straight days! So we dumped 'em and went to HughesNet. They're a satellite internet provider, and yes, if we get a hard rain storm, we're gonna either slow way down, or even lose internet temporarily, much like the TV dish does. But compared to the lousy service we've been getting with the other company for years, it'll be worth the gamble.

Another method you can go to, depending on your cell provider, and your cell phone itself, is to use your cell phone as a hot spot. Not all carriers allow it, nor do all cell phones have the capability. A little homework can tell you real quick.

Just sayin!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RJ Walworth, New York on Friday, October 27, 2017 - 07:27 pm:

Steve itís the basic package I run my internet Netflix Hulu WiFi with no problems or buffering also I own my own modem/router

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gustaf in Idaho on Saturday, October 28, 2017 - 11:29 am:

From my experience in Idaho, Verison sucks for cell phone service and Safelink sucks for webernet service, but there are no other viable alternatives here yet.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration