Saved Another One

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Saved Another One
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry in KCMO on Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 11:46 am:

I picked this up last Sunday. I bought it from a guy who was going to "rod" it but mama "suggested" he downsize his junk collection. For you unmarried types that means to get rid of it in wife talk. LOL

I believe it's a 24-5 according to the engine number. 11696473. It looks like a roadster with the turtle shell removed some time ago to do farm work. Or maybe it was ordered w/o the shell.

The seller bought the car from the original owners. The water in the engine froze and cracked the head back in 1952. Repair was started but never finished. It was placed in an open front shed and left untouched til last year.

This looks like the version of my finished farmer's truck that I was collecting parts for.

I would like to determine the vehicle's age. after a few minutes of rubbing compound on the rust the black paint appeared underneath. I'm leaving it the way it looks and restore the running gear only for safty.

Best part is it was only 15 miles from home.

Sometimes you get lucky.
Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 12:10 pm:

Nice save!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 01:03 pm:

Looks like a '24-'25 from here. Appears to have a high firewall, apron below radiator and front fenders with the lip to match the apron. Some more detailed pictures would help. That will make a real nice project. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 01:04 pm:

Terry,

That sure is Boo Ti Ful ..... :-)

Nice save !

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 01:46 pm:

Wow!
Great find that's not screwed up or rodded by somebody else.
That's an original car in original condition!
Take care of that one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 02:14 pm:

What a wonderful find!
Paint UNDER the rust. I gotta admit I would've never thought. That gives me great hope for some rusty body parts around my place!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 03:12 pm:

What's the compression like on that wooden cylinder head?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 03:22 pm:

Excellent! -Because of folks like you, there will always be Model T Fords.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 03:41 pm:

Nice! If it is at all really original, definitely '24/'25. But I am not expert enough on those two years to tell more from these photos. If you can, show pictures of the passenger door hinge (even = '25, offset most likely '24) and the patent plate somewhere on the firewall (square corners likely '24, clipped corners likely '25). There were also changes in the cowling wood. The '25 had less wood, however, beyond that, I can't tell the difference. Others here though can, so some good photos of inside the cowl also.
I thought the rear fender had the wider "turn out" at the running board. I think that change was made sometime in '24, but I don't recall whether it was early or late in the year. But on closer look, I think I was seeing part of the rear tire, and the fender may be the earlier straight side? A couple pictures of the front of the rear fenders might help. While on fenders? How about the beads on the back half of the front fenders? Are they the common earlier style? Or the erroneously called "commercial" fenders with the bead that hides under the splash shield? After decades of people believing the late fenders were commercial only, it has finally been shown that many if not most late '25 cars also used that late style fender from the factory.
Neat car! Looks like another time capsule of details to add to the mix. Congratulations, and thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom McGoldrick, Laguna Hills CA on Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 04:34 pm:

You can also look at the frame where the brake quadrant mounts to see if it has 2 rivets or 4 rivets. Or holes if the quadrant is missing. 2 would tend to make it a 25 frame.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 05:23 pm:

They all seem to get a very familiar patina...looks remarkably like the one we pulled out of central FL...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry in KCMO on Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 05:30 pm:

Thanks for the advice. I'll check the doors, cowl, and frame and take some detail pics tomorrow.

Tim, I think that's an aftermarket head. It doesn't have any Ford markings anywhere. I haven't checked the compression yet I'm still wondering where the plugs go!

Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 05:32 pm:

Way to go Terry!
black balloon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn on Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 06:44 pm:

Very nice, reminds me of mine. Did you also get the top bows?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Friday, October 27, 2017 - 04:47 am:

Them plugs would go where ever you want them! If the head is oak you can burn premium gas....lol

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, October 27, 2017 - 09:04 am:

Nice project :-)
The engine number is May 1925, so if the body characteristics matches a late '25, it's likely the original.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick J. Gunter -- Sparta, Missouri, USA on Friday, October 27, 2017 - 11:57 am:

It always boggles my mind, how hot rodders end up with the Model T's they destroy. There are lots of guys, me included, that actively seek out an original Model T with really good tin like this one. Some of us go to swap meets and read craigslist for years looking for one. It usually seems like there are none to be found for a reasonable price. Yet the hot rodders always seem to find them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, October 27, 2017 - 12:14 pm:

Here's some '25 body details to help you:
firewall/cowl area, note lack of wood members and tag.

Door hinge:

Another view of the cowl area

Door latch, note only two screws in it.

And finally, the '25 brake ratchet on frame.

Hope these help, as you can see, you sent pictures of the wrong side for us to figure it out!! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Friday, October 27, 2017 - 01:20 pm:

The door hinges are a definite 25 part. They were only used for the 25 open cars. The hinges are straight and not the angled ones that were used on the 14-24 open cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, October 28, 2017 - 01:23 am:

John, the above pictures are of MY '25 T, which is also a "barn find" and has a similar patina to Terry's. Mine is definitely a '25, about May of '25.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, October 31, 2017 - 12:09 pm:

Bump to top, did any of this help Terry?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration