1910 Project

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 1910 Project
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 12:39 pm:

I thought I'd post a couple of photos of my 1910 project before I resign myself to post-operative boredom. I wanted to tackle the rebuild of the front axle and take the car down to the frame before my shoulder surgery in November. So I've accomplished all that I've set out to do this year; got my rebuilt and straightened front axle on, blasted/slip-painted and painted my front and rear springs, tore apart the old '26/27 rear axle to scavenge what's good, took the engine down to Joe Bell, built a front seat frame with new springs, and started collecting the correct parts that should be on this car as opposed to later style parts. Most of the under body stuff was 1926/27; probably put on when the rear axle went on. But I'll be ready come springtime to start building the correct rear axle assembly and getting the sheet metal media blasted and painted the correct color dark green. My only goal is to have her ready for the OCF next September!
Wish me luck!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 12:41 pm:

By the way, the weather has been too chilly to effectively soften the old leather interior; I did manage to clean a TON of 107 year old dirt from it using Fiebing's leather cleaner, then went over it with 100% Neatsfoot oil (not the compound). It softened up a little, but I'll wait until next summer to really work it over.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire (La Florida!) on Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 12:50 pm:

Looking good so far. I will wish you luck on your shoulder rebuild.Check to see if your mechanic has the most recent shop manual and tech bulletins for the year and model of your shoulder.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Saggese on Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 01:00 pm:

How do you distinguish 107-year-old dirt from modern dirt? Maybe I can find some NOS dirt on eBay...

Looks like a great project, good luck with the recovery!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Richmon - Richmond, VA on Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 01:44 pm:

Just a point of interest on your leather softening. I was doing the same thing, but found the neatsfoot oil didn't do any real good until I rolled the car into the sun on a hot day. After soaking it down real good and leaving it for the afternoon my leather became glove soft!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 03:22 pm:

It takes some time for the Neatsfoot oil to soak in and do its job. Putting it in the sun allows it to soak in faster. I would keep applying the oil over the winter if you can, and just let it do its thing. At 1st it won't seem to change things much but over time, the leather will soften up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 03:24 pm:

Beautiful work. Kudos!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 03:31 pm:

Looks great, amazing how it could pass for a sleigh. Just put some rails on the bottom for Winter.
I'm with G.R. on the shoulder rebuild, hoping they use genuine parts, not re-pops.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 04:28 pm:

Sssswwwweeeetttt !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 04:37 pm:

Thanks, fellas; I appreciate the positive feedback! And my surgeon told me he'd be using NOS parts - Normal Old Shoulder.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 04:53 pm:

I am wishing you "LUCK!" As you requested. All good luck! For both the shoulder and the car's re-restoration. The car is looking wonderful. The shoulder? I have no idea and really don't want to know how it looks. Just so it works great after an appropriate recovery time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Messina on Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 05:22 pm:

Bill, Your progress on the '10 looks great, and all the best with the surgery and recovery. Your '14 is doing very well and sends her regards. Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 05:42 pm:

Bill good luck with both rebuilds and I look forward to seeing you both at OCF!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 06:03 pm:

Man, I miss that '14! What year is your Vette, Paul? Looks to be pretty early, judging by the grille and single headlamps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 07:20 pm:

That Vette would be a '56 or '57, but I doubt that it's Paul's. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 07:27 pm:

Oh, it's Paul's alright. Lucky bugger!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 07:37 pm:

Bill, that car looks great! Man, I'd swear that was new upholstery! Whatever you're using is working great!

It was great seeing you again last weekend at Joe's, and finally getting a chance to take you for even a short ride in Pete!

Again too, good luck with the shoulder my friend!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 07:45 pm:

The T looks great!

Shoulder surgery yuck! Did that 11 months ago, and still am recovering. But I can do a lot more than I could a year ago.

Good luck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 07:57 pm:

Oops!!! My mistake! When I saw Paul Messina's name, I thought it was Paul Mikeska. The clincher was that he has a '14 Touring which is all black and shiny, and it looks just like the one in the pic above.

I just talked with Paul Mikeska about the post and he said he didn't do it, so I came back here to check and found my mistake. BTW, both he and I said we'd love to have a '57 Vette, but agreed that it's not gonna' happen in our lifetimes. :-)

Congrats to Paul Messina for having two of the niftiest cars anywhere!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration