Rocky mountain brake equalizer

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Rocky mountain brake equalizer
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Ross-Maysville, KY on Friday, October 27, 2017 - 07:45 am:

The equalizer hits the underside of the hogshead which allows the brake lever to only move from all forward to just about halfway back. I assume this cannot be correct. Can someone send me a pic of their set up or walk me through correcting the problem please?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, October 27, 2017 - 09:07 am:

It is not correct. The rods between the equalizer and the rear wheels need to be shortened. Start with adjusting the band so that it is 20 thousandths clearance from the drum. Then pull back the parking brake lever until the rear wheels start to get tight with the parking brake. The rods on the rocky mountain brake should cause the band to get tight one click farther than the parking brake gets tight. Last step is to adjust the rod for the foot brake. The Rocky mountain brake should stop before the transmission brake. If you push the foot brake hard, both rockys and transmission brake are applied.

If these adjustments do not cure your problem, you might have a bent cross shaft on the parking brake.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, October 27, 2017 - 09:20 am:

Norm, to my knowledge, my RM equalizer doesn't hit the hogshead, (but now gonna go out and look later today), but the brake handle is only pretty much one notch "aft" of vertical when the parking brake is set. Are you saying it should still be quite further "aft"/slanted toward the driver seat as in a non Rocky setup?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Ross-Maysville, KY on Friday, October 27, 2017 - 11:17 am:

I have to shorten rods . Mine seems to be set up like Tim . My parking brake would engage a little bit past 90 .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Ross-Maysville, KY on Friday, October 27, 2017 - 11:18 am:

I mean I have shortened rods

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, October 27, 2017 - 10:36 pm:

I'm out of town now, but after I get home on Sunday, I'll try to remember to post a photo of the correct equalizer. It's so simple, it's hard to believe!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, October 28, 2017 - 08:10 am:

Larry that would be great. I've always felt that maybe this set-up just isn't quite according to Hoyle. But being new to Rockies, have nothing to compare or go by. Thanks. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eubanks, Powell, TN on Saturday, October 28, 2017 - 08:47 am:

If the E shifts to one side, it will hit the hogshead. Have someone hit the brakes while you look.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, October 28, 2017 - 11:21 am:

Tim,
The parking brake should be adjusted by lengthing the rods. It should be back farther than 90 degrees when the brake is on. For adjustment of the parking brake, push the lever all the way forward into the high position and with the clevis pin out, push the rod all the way back as far as you can and adjust so that you can fit the pin in without bending the rod. Do this with both rods. Then take out for a short drive in a safe place and pull on the parking brake. If it pulls to one side, tighten the other side 1/2 turn and try it again. Do this until both wheels stop at the same time and the car does not pull to one side.

Then adjust the Rocky mountain brake so that it comes on at the same time as the parking brake. This can be done with the rear wheels jacked up and as you pull on the parking brake lever, notice where it begins to slow down the rear wheels. Then adjust the Rocky mountain brake rods to apply the Rocky mountain brake at the same position as the parking brake. Pull the parking brake one notch farther and both wheels are locked. Be careful to get the adjustment so that both wheels tighten the same amount and both lock up at the same position of the brake lever. Lastly, adjust the link to the foot brake.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, October 28, 2017 - 02:26 pm:

Norman, thanks. I'll give it a whirl! One day next week when it warms up and my socially overloaded life slows down!! LOL :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Saturday, October 28, 2017 - 03:32 pm:

Rick

I had the same problem. The best fit of the yoke to the emergency brake arm meant that one side of the "U" shape of the yoke hit the underside of the pan pretty early in it's swing. By filing one of the crude clamps some, the yoke would shift over to where it was centered and cleared everything. You think it would stay there? NOPE!

I purchased a pair of split machinery shaft collars and placed one on each side of the yoke (on the emergency brake shaft) and everything swings fine and stay's put.

here is a link to a collar that I'm talking about so you can see. I don't know if that's THE collar, you will need to measure your emergency brake cross shaft and determine that for yourself...this is just an example. Works great.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Climax-1-1-4-in-Bore-Black-Oxide-Coated-Mild-Steel-C lamp-Collar-2C-125/203024973?cm_mmc=Shopping%7cTHD%7cG%7c0%7cG-BASE-PLA-D25H-Har dware%7c&gclid=Cj0KCQjw1dDPBRC_ARIsAJZrQfqO7ar4G0yLPI-XeSMdZu9YfphBMvYBwAdYII_W6 DFtP-KHn6ouaPYaAhqUEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CM3gpuaGlNcCFQPmZAodMoMPMw

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 12:12 am:

Here is a photo of a genuine Rocky Mountain equalizer. It doesn't get much simpler than that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 01:36 am:

Jack made the one shown here;
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/402037.html?1384715953

I have made a couple of them but have changed a few things.
I made the plate welded to the U a bit longer and instead of the round bar I just used flat plate with holes in each end for the clevis pins. It swings just below the parking brake cross shaft and there is no need for the easy slider.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration