Merry Christmas from UPS

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Merry Christmas from UPS
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Friday, October 27, 2017 - 12:36 pm:

Received in an email from UPS today:

The following changes will take effect on December 24, 2017.
• The rates for UPS® Ground, UPS Air and International services, as well as UPS Air Freight rates within and between the U.S., Canada and Puerto Rico, will increase an average net 4.9%.
• The dimensional weight divisor for packages less than or equal to one cubic foot in size (1,728 cubic inches) will be 139 for all U.S. domestic services subject to Daily Rates or Alaska and Hawaii Rates.
• Criteria and pricing for Additional Handling and Large Package surcharges will change.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Friday, October 27, 2017 - 12:47 pm:

Will they still guarantee to destroy the package and contents in transit, because I will not use UPS unless they continue destroy my packages as before. If they do continue the carnage, the fee hike is well worth it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Annaian on Friday, October 27, 2017 - 01:01 pm:

They are super expensive, how does anyone even use them?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fords Masterpiece . nj on Friday, October 27, 2017 - 01:23 pm:

Well , is 4.9 % a lot ? Nobody delivers as fast as they do , even regular ground .
They do damage a lot but most of times people just pack light bulbs with no protection and 100 lbs vase with a wrapping paper .
International pkgs by post office is cheaper but will never get to other countries because
it gets stolen by the countries p,o . and usps just garanties as far as arriving the foreign country not del to the house .
Have you checked the fuel pumps lately ?

whats the excuse this time for gas hike ? We are paying almost 3 bucks a gallon ! I think is about time to brake Exxon mobil monopoly and make this a real capitalism competitive market .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, October 27, 2017 - 02:36 pm:

They're having to cover their cost for paying the USPS to make their deliveries for them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Friday, October 27, 2017 - 03:52 pm:

It will only get worse...Congress is looting the Post Office hoping to shift everything to private enterprise. Just a matter of time before private shipping costs driven by corporate greed destroys the online economy. All MY OPINION- not posted for debate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Friday, October 27, 2017 - 03:54 pm:

Super expensive? Compared to who or what?

I find that overall UPS is your best value.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Friday, October 27, 2017 - 05:37 pm:

4.9% every year is a lot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Friday, October 27, 2017 - 05:45 pm:

Can't beat USPS Priority mail if it will fit in one of their boxes!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Friday, October 27, 2017 - 06:48 pm:

What Dan said.
USPS beats UPS by a long way. Do not bother to buy insurance on a UPS shipment. To many people on this forum have posted that if your package is lost or damaged they will deny payment because it was "packed incorrectly".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Lyon, PDX, OR. on Friday, October 27, 2017 - 06:53 pm:

I like UPS. The USPS and FedX leave parcels on the front porch and don't even ring the door bell while the UPS leaves the parcels on the back porch and he rings the bell. Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RJ Walworth, New York on Friday, October 27, 2017 - 07:18 pm:

So what else is new It’s like everybody else is raising their rates posrsget health care taxes car house ins gas food my wife lol

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, October 27, 2017 - 09:58 pm:

The post offices delivers some UPS packages in rural areas. So there you go!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Saturday, October 28, 2017 - 11:40 am:

Generally speaking, I like UPS' service and delivery options, but their rates and add-on fees leave me shaking my head. As a shipper I still pay a "fuel surcharge" first imposed when gas went up to $4.30/gal back in '08. Gasoline is half that but I still pay the fee. Further, I have to pay a "delivery surcharge" because I live in a rural area, although a major UPS depot, where all their trucks operate from, is only five miles away. Then on top of all that I pay a higher rate for "residential" delivery when items are sent to me and the fees are charged to my account.

As Dan said, the USPS' flat rate boxes and envelopes and delivery times can be a bargain, though they now have weight limits, and several hundred dollars' worth of insurance can double the fee. A flat rate shipment is only 2 days to the West Coast from me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Saturday, October 28, 2017 - 01:57 pm:

RE: USPS flat rate Priority Mail boxes and envelopes

Priority Mail can be cheaper if you calculate the postage based on actual package weight and measurements instead of going the with a flat rate box or envelope.

The USPS has non-flat rate Priority Mail boxes and envelopes available for free. You either have to ask for them at the counter or order them online. They are usually not displayed with the flat rate boxes or envelopes in the post office lobby (more than one postal employee at two different post offices told me that they are discouraged from openly displaying the non-flat rate Priority Mail boxes and envelopes in the lobby because they can typically make more money on flat rate than if the customer paid based on actual weight).

You can also always use your own envelopes and boxes for Priority Mail.

If the package is less than 16 oz, then consider using First Class Package instead.

For heavier packages, I have found that Priority and Ground can be nearly the same price.

Additionally, there is a discount if you purchase your postage and generate the labels online.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Saturday, October 28, 2017 - 02:29 pm:

There's a reason so many shippers have shifted to FEDEX whether it's home delivery or Smart Post.
I have noticed FEDEX tracking has become superior to UPS as well.
For small items that weigh a lot and will fit USPS Flat rate boxes you can't beat USPS as mentioned by Erik.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration