Does this qualify as a barn find?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Does this qualify as a barn find?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, October 28, 2017 - 06:29 am:

These photos were taken in a storage facility, not a barn.

This is a 1925 tourer cut down into a farm buckboard. My intention is to preserve it as is, after making it safe and reliable.

More picgures to come, if you would like them.

Allan from down under

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By stuart clipson on Saturday, October 28, 2017 - 06:40 am:

they don't get any better than that. definitely a part of history.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Claverie, Memphis TN on Saturday, October 28, 2017 - 07:56 am:

OK, so it's a modern-looking 'barn.' So what? Definitely meets the specs - an old car, stored away for a long time, then 'discovered' and now on the first step of resurrection.

What a great project!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Saturday, October 28, 2017 - 08:32 am:

Allan, I really like that look. The bed is very cool. I think that is what I like. I think your plan is perfect! The bed over the fenders gives more width and that I guess is what makes it so darn cool.
Yes more photos please!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Saturday, October 28, 2017 - 08:35 am:

What make of body is it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Saturday, October 28, 2017 - 08:44 am:

Yep, looks like a barn find. Look forward to additional pictures !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Saturday, October 28, 2017 - 08:46 am:

black balloon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Bente on Saturday, October 28, 2017 - 08:54 am:

I love it, when I see vehicles like this it makes me wonder what some of the great finds that William Harrahs guys found in the 50’s and 60’s. It’s nice to hear your thinking of keeping it “sweaty”.
Looking forward to hear what you find when you make it road worthy.
r/s Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, October 28, 2017 - 09:01 am:

Neat find! It's interesting how they extended the flat bed forward to wrap around the back of the body. For carrying long boards without having them stick out the back?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire (La Florida!) on Saturday, October 28, 2017 - 09:18 am:

That bed is perfect for stacking those square bales of hay,I don't think anyone is going to dispute barn find on this one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Saturday, October 28, 2017 - 09:19 am:

Oh WOW; love it Allan! Australian body ? Yes indeed retain it's obviously colorful history by preserving it. Barrel on the left runningboard used for tick spraying your 'Roos ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Saturday, October 28, 2017 - 09:24 am:

Very cool. It's as good of barn find as you will see... nice. Storage facilities are modern barns..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Saturday, October 28, 2017 - 02:30 pm:

Something cannot be "found" unless it was lost. There are very, very, few "find" cars, barn or anywhere else. Somebody knew about them. Barn find is the hot trend and used to boost a car's value. That being said, the down under pickup looks the part. What a great car! Make it run and drive safely and leave the patina alone, I think. It speaks history in volumes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Howard ( Australia) on Saturday, October 28, 2017 - 03:17 pm:

Dalgety Body Alan?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brooks Schlieben on Saturday, October 28, 2017 - 03:34 pm:

It sat somewhere for decades.
I would call it a barn find, and then just leave it at that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, October 28, 2017 - 03:39 pm:

Well, that's an interesting definition. Barney was "found" in a barn on a Ranch in Nevada by an equipment dealer. Now the ranch owners knew that Barney was in their, but buried behind other stuff and basically forgotten. And then this equipment dealer shows up and is willing to take that junk pile off their hands.
So, since he was "lost" to the public's eye, but known to the owners (or their heirs), does that qualify as a "barn find?"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, October 28, 2017 - 03:57 pm:

I think the most important points to a "barn find", is two things.
One, that the vehicle spent a few decades in less than ideal storage after having been used for some portion of its first life as a valuable piece of transportation or work vehicle.
Two, that the vehicle be maintained mostly as found. Some reasonable cleanup is okay. Nobody really wants or needs to keep all the rat droppings and other filth in place. Some necessary work on it mechanically, especially where safety is concerned (Babbitt washers again), fixing brakes, tires, anything dangerously worn or broken. It does become a difficult question of how much repair is too much? Certainly, anything near real restoration takes away the "barn find" status. That detail of its past forevermore becomes only that, a detail of its past.

Once restored, or worked on to some such degree, never again original. "Original" in itself is also a difficult call. Is something "truly original", or "factory original", "era original", or restored "as original". All are different. All have cherished places within the hobby of preserving and showing our automobile history.

More of those "lines in the sand". They are not difficult to draw. They are impossible to draw (or define).

Beautiful ute (would that be correct to say?).
I would love to see more of it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, October 28, 2017 - 05:07 pm:

Well spotted Tony. It is a Dalgety body, once a tourer. The only thing not quite consistent with 1925 is a full set of loose lug wheels. The casting date is early 25, so perhaps the fixed lug rims came to us a little later in the year.

According to the registration papers it is officially a buckboard. Today it may be called a traytop, to distinguish it from a fixed side ute.

For reasons which will become obvious, future posts about the car will have a different title.

Allan from down under.

Briefly, the car was put into dry farm storage in 1955. 18 years ago it was taken to the ciry when the farmer retired. It went into the storage facility a couple of years ago when he went into care. It has always been in dry store.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Howard ( Australia) on Saturday, October 28, 2017 - 05:23 pm:

I'm still messin' with mine Alan... constantly on the lookout for a non-rusted lower windscreen frame and drivers door.. ( you put me on to a left side door a year or so ago , which I got)..I have had a few other issues so it's just been sitting waiting... then I decided a month ago to check the diff ( when I got it I was assured that the mechanicals were done).. glad I did ..one babbit thrust washer, one accessory roller thrust assembly, one thrust plate held in place with silastic ( I kid you not)... so now guess who is going to disassemble the motor and transmission?? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Knight on Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 08:07 pm:

My 1925 T Ute - very similar

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable - Kiama NSW OZ on Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 09:17 pm:

Gary,

Your Dalgety appears to be a Ford Australia factory supplied labeled "Light Delivery" compared to Allan's cut down "buckboard.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable - Kiama NSW OZ on Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 09:18 pm:

photo didn't download
Light C

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Monday, October 30, 2017 - 07:41 am:

I'd certainly call it a barn find. Anyone who doesn't like the term is splitting hairs.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration