Can you tell from these photos if this engine is worth saving?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Can you tell from these photos if this engine is worth saving?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Annaian on Saturday, October 28, 2017 - 04:32 pm:

Just need one last confirmation that this engine is okay before I start sinking money into it...

It looks good to me, however the only questionable area is under the valve cover plate. This guy had the two oil hole s in there plugged with some wood... and there's a few chips on the bottom lip of the surround. ????

Once again, as most of you have probably seen from my posts, it was used as a log splitter. The oil pan bottom most drain plug was removed and there's a pipe two feet long coming out. I'm guessing oil would go into the pipe and drain out of the chipped area for constant circulation? I honestly don't know...

Anyways, my question is, can you tell by the valve area if this engine is worth saving? No rust, just those few chips.

https://imgur.com/gallery/vVp71

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Saturday, October 28, 2017 - 05:01 pm:

Those chips in themselves should not preclude its use. An epoxy putty repair or a brazed repair should take care of that.
Of course, this is from a guy that sank $4,500 into salvaging an early 16 block just because it came with the car!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Saturday, October 28, 2017 - 05:09 pm:

Looks good. Use silicone sealant when gasketing the valve covers and you'll be fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Saturday, October 28, 2017 - 05:15 pm:

The only repair that I can see would be to use some J-B weld to fill up the chipped out places and use a dremal or file and shape the JB weld back to the same configuration as the rest of the valve cover area. It will be there and then some as long as you own the engine.
Clean up the engine and lay it on its side to use the JB weld for repair. A little time and about 6.00 to repair it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, October 28, 2017 - 05:28 pm:

It's hard to tell with all the dirt on there, but it looks like there may be some rust pitting around the intake and exhaust ports. Add some hi-temp RTV to the gaskets when you install the manifolds.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Annaian on Saturday, October 28, 2017 - 05:28 pm:

Thanks guys!

It's not a high stress area, pretty much no stress, so that's what I figured.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Saturday, October 28, 2017 - 09:04 pm:

That engine is better and more complete than any of mine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire (La Florida!) on Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 09:18 am:

this one was on the forum a couple of years ago if it could be saved........

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration