Motor number

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Motor number
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grady L Puryear on Saturday, October 28, 2017 - 06:24 pm:

If I am not wrong, I am thinking engine number 11691835 was made ca May 1925. Any thoughts, and thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Tipton on Saturday, October 28, 2017 - 06:33 pm:

May 04, 1925 there were 8,120 car made that day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, October 28, 2017 - 06:42 pm:

Grady,

Your number 11,691,835 was include on the Engine Log book for May 4, 1925 (ref page 532 of Bruce McCalley's "Model T Ford). But it would only have been assembled and stamped that day if it was assembled at the River Rouge main engine assembly section. If it was assembled at some other assembly plant, then it would have been assembled days or weeks later (ref page 501 Bruce's book -- see the bottom of the first column on that page and the explanation continues on the top of the second column).

And all of that is predicated on the number being stamped on the same block that Ford first stamped the number on. If that block was damaged beyond repair (frozen, piston thrown through the block etc.) then a replacement block could have been purchased and installed. Ford dealers were instructed to stamp the original engine serial number on the replacement block.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l915 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grady L Puryear on Saturday, October 28, 2017 - 07:29 pm:

Thanks for the information. This engine is in my car, which is/was pretty original. I had the major work done on the engine, figuring on keeping it till my Grandkids got it, but they want AC, Power Steering and all the rest. I don't think that head had ever been off the block, and there was no ridge to speak of, so I got lucky, I bought it out of a Museum. Thanks again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, October 28, 2017 - 10:51 pm:

Model T engines don't get ring ridges at the top, as the top ring actually goes to the top of the block deck.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration