Swap meets whats the best for early parts

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Swap meets whats the best for early parts
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By andrew o sullivan on Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 10:39 am:

hi there to all Can I ask for some info , I went to Hershey this year . had a good time it was limited in early parts , But I got what I needed...... I'm looking to go to chickasha in march 2018 , I'm told that it is not so good any more , I'm told that backers field is the up an coming swamp meet for early cars Can I ask the forum members, what's the best for early model t ford parts swamp meet thanks for your time ......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 11:38 am:

Chickasha is still No 1, Bakersfield is No 2, not even close. Last couple times I was at BF I came home with little to show for my travels. I've heard much the same from others. Hardly the up and coming swap meet for early stuff. More like the "down and going" IMO

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 11:46 am:

At Hershey I heard a snob complaining that Chickasha was "nothing but Model T crap". But the fact is that both Chickasha and Bakersfield mirror the automotive world of a hundred years ago. Half the world's cars were Fords, so it's no surprise that surviving Ford parts far outnumber those of other makes. As for old timers' complaints that meets aren't as good as they used to be, I think it's true of all of them, not just Chickasha. The internet is probably the main reason for the decline. But as Hershey demonstrated a few weeks ago, swap meets are still a good source of parts. I always go to Chickasha and I always find something good. Since retiring, I always go to Hershey and I always find something good. I don't get out to California as often, but I've been to Bakersfield and I found good things there too. Chickasha and Bakersfield have the advantage of being prewar meets, so you don't have to spend so much of your time hunting for gold amongst the modern dross. Bakersfield has the advantage of Basque restaurants for dinner and Dewars for dessert.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 12:03 pm:

Maybe I'll skip Hershey next year and check out Chickasha. It would be an easier, one-day each way drive for me vs. the two-day each way drive to Hershey. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Bond on Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 12:35 pm:

No doubt Hershey can be a lot of work, lots of walking and expensive if you are staying in nearby motels, but vendors come from all corners of the country and in my estimation is still king for earlier stuff. There are vendors who specialize in T parts and piles of brass are around every corner. Since I collect a lot of automobilia in addition to Model T stuff, the selection is unbeatable for me. Another bonus at Hershey is seeing all the great people and meeting forum guys like Steve in person. For the cars, the stuff, the total experience is something I look forward to every year.
Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 12:43 pm:

Steve,
I am glad to see that you have your priorities set correctly regarding Bakersfield, as demonstrated by your choice of picture to include in your posting!
Richard; having never been to those meets back east, I have no comparison, except for the pics I've seen posted, which usually make me drool. but I think Bakersfield is a great swap meet--even if I come home empty-handed (hasn't happened yet!)--where else can you see not one, but three vendors hawking Stanley parts--or multiple groups of folks driving pre 1915 cars around the meet? For us it's a long drive (about 6 hours) and an overnight stay (at least one), so the expense in going is rather high--oh and at least one Basque meal and of course the Dewar's visit (one AT LEAST!)--but the folks you get to see and visit and the cars. . .
I think it's a great swap. It is a bit overshadowed, travel cost & parts-wise, by the Auburn swap, which is only an hour's drive for us--and they have PIE!
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 01:24 pm:

You should also look into the Luray Pre war meet. It is still a small meet, but the area has not been picked over like OK has. And if you want you can leave Luray on Sat, catch another pre war meet in Pa on Sun. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 02:48 pm:

I think Bakersfield is a great swap meet. I always do very well there both buying and selling. If I had to rate them, Hershey, Bakersfield, Chickasha.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 03:34 pm:

I like swap meets that you don't have to half walk and run to find a few common T parts. T parts are in abundance.

Chickasha is one of best if not the best that's fits in that category.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis Byron, Georgia on Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 05:04 pm:

I haven't been to Hershey for years but thought with the new pavement they eliminated the "swamp" part of the meet?

Howard Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sam Mendenhall on Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 06:30 pm:

Is the Indy Swap meet at the Marion County Fairgrounds still being held. It previously was held at the Indy 500 infield. I have not gone in years but it use to be one of the better places in the Midwest for T and older car memorabilia.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 08:00 pm:

I've never been to Hershey and don't care to go. I've never been to Bakersfield, but I hope to one of these years. I go to Chickasha every year and always come back with some goodies. That old "Model T crap" is what I'm after. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eck Sheppard on Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 08:25 pm:

Anyone tried the Moltre Ga swap meet ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 08:58 pm:

Just curious. Can anyone here rate the BBC Meet? I read about it every year in the Gazette. It has moved a few times over the years. It was "Brass in Buck's County", and "Brass in Burke's County". But I am not sure where it is now, other than in the East.
Even though I have never been to Chickasha or Hershey, I would wonder what it is like by comparison. I do like Bakersfield! Hope I go again soon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Kuhnash Southeastern Ohio on Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 10:35 pm:

Been to Chickasha and Hershey . This year for example there are 158 vendors selling model T part listed in the program.
I would guess there probably isn't that many total vendors at Chickasha.
Some one earlier mentioned steam cars, over 20 vendors listed for those.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 10:45 pm:

I love mint chocolate chip cream and I love enchiladas blancas. It's the same with Hershey and Chickasha. The flavors are very different, but they both feed my Model T habit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Monday, October 30, 2017 - 04:25 am:

Wayne: That is the meet that is on Sunday after Luray. It is a one day meet. It is just 180 miles from Luray. That is a reason to go to Luray. You can see 2 Pre War meets in one week. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, October 30, 2017 - 04:29 am:

Thanks Dan H!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Monday, October 30, 2017 - 04:35 am:

Moultrie Ga is a waste, unless you live close. Not much T stuff there. By close, less than a couple hours away. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Hoffer on Monday, October 30, 2017 - 07:04 am:

BBC is a great tour and the swap meet can be excellent but some years are better than others depending on your needs. There is always something unusual there and the people are true hobbyists. It is not T specific but has things for all makes. The whole thing is a wonderful event!

Anybody have a take on AACA Charlotte for brass? Spring or fall? Thinking of trying that swap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Monday, October 30, 2017 - 07:10 am:

I've been to Chickasha with my now deceased friend of 53 years three times since the mid '90's, the last time in 2006 I think. As far as I'm concerned, even if I didn't find anything (which I always did), the trip was worthwhile just for the show and meeting up with old friends and making new ones. Priceless!!!! JMHO Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Monday, October 30, 2017 - 07:45 am:

The problem most guys have is that they go to swap meets looking for specific early items or items on their lists, and they become so focused that they miss all the early items that may or may not be on their list ! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Monday, October 30, 2017 - 08:01 am:

Luray is great. In the last three years, I have bought more early parts from Luray, after only 2 hours of walking that 3 acre field, then I do after walking 20+ miles in 2 DAYS in Hershey.

Ed in California is correct. Tunnel vision is a problem. I have it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Saylor, Citrus Heights, Ca on Monday, October 30, 2017 - 03:14 pm:

The Mother Lode Swap meet in Auburn, Ca is good for early parts. You never know what might come down out of the hills. This year's meet is Sunday, June 3.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Bond on Tuesday, October 31, 2017 - 09:07 am:

Hey Jim, post some photos from Luray. I'd love to get there, but although it's only a short hop across the state from Chesapeake, it would still tie me up for most of a week to be there. I know some folks who go and they love seeing the early parts and I've heard the selection of T stuff is great.
Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, October 31, 2017 - 09:25 am:

Terry

This older post shows some photos, really neat swap meet with mostly T parts, but anything pre-war too.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/644190.html?1464043779

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Tuesday, October 31, 2017 - 11:17 am:

This year (2018) the public portion of the meet is only two days rather than three. Vendor set-up is noon-5 on Thursday May 17, and the meet opens to the public on Friday 7 to 5 and Saturday 7 to 4.

Free admission and free parking. Food, breakfast and lunch, is available at the meet, sold by the VFW.

Dennis has made a neat poster with photos of last year's meet, but I can't reduce it below 260 KB and have it good enough to see any detail, or I'd post it here.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration