Making the Old Truck Do Some Work

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Making the Old Truck Do Some Work
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Dunlap - Orlando, Florida on Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 02:08 pm:

Our 1926 Roadster Pickup enjoys playing most weekends. It totes us around the neighborhood and lets us honk its horns uncontrollably like we are three-year olds.

Yesterday, we let the old roadster do some work. I needed some sod to replace damage caused by Hurricane Irma. So, we drove up to the hardware store and piled 20 pieces of sod into the back. At first, I considered whether the truck could handle the weight of that much sod. Then I recalled how my dad drove about three adults and four grandkids in the back of this truck in the mid 90's. We made a stop at the pool store and added three jugs of chlorine (for the pool), and stopped for a few bags of groceries.

The truck handled the job wonderfully. It may become my work truck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire (La Florida!) on Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 02:12 pm:

I am reading the thoughts coming from your RPU...

Finally! something useful for me to do!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire (La Florida!) on Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 02:19 pm:

BTW 2 bales of hay down the center a couple of neighborhood couples say around 12-10 going around the area caroling, who could ask for a better time!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 02:56 pm:

Good job Eric. I let mine work quite often, makes him feel useful and keeps him happy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 03:38 pm:

I've toyed with the idea of driving Betsy to the Lowe's in the next town east when I needed something there.

Most of the route is side roads, but the last couple of miles are on a busier road with a speed limit of 60 mph.

Maybe on a Sunday morning.... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 06:27 pm:

I took the turtle deck off my roadsters, and added a 5' ash pickup bed, esp I could haul the lumber for a deck we built behind our house in Oetoskey, before we moved. Frank hauled ALL the lumber... and concrete mix for the footings. I hauled 10'ers when I needed, but mostly stuck to 8' bits.

He's been known to haulan occasional keg.... and cases of beer,too. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 06:38 pm:

Whilethe grandkids were here this summer, the best excuse to get Liz out was a trip to the co-op for feed and tractor fuel.

I threatened to put a pickup bed on her, I may do it yet !! There's a limit to what you can haul with a running board rack.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 07:05 pm:

Mine is no stranger to work. I try to keep him happy. We work well together

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 07:11 pm:

My favorite things to haul! Grand daughters

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 07:41 pm:

Well as long as this is becoming a "take your truck shopping" post, here's Pete on his weekly, and I do mean weekly, grocery and hardware trip. His bed is always loaded for the trip home. First the groceries....

Then it's to the Big Boys Toybox...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 08:27 pm:

My 26 rpu just does a few miles here or there mostly in our subdivision about 3 miles round trip and on the back couple acres of our property but I hope to been finished with the rear axle build by spring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 08:28 pm:

So I can hit the road.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cameron Whitaker, Oklahoma City on Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 08:45 pm:

I love putting Ts to work! One of our frequent weekend activities is to take our '24 to yard sales. Well, one day we went a little overboard with our purchases. A nice neighbor helped strap everything down. We wound up having things tied to the running boards and everything. We must have looked like the Beverly Hillbillies as we drove home!

Yard sale T

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 09:59 pm:

No truck yet...

...but the roadster goes shopping often.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, October 30, 2017 - 01:48 am:

I may need to report you guys to the SPCAA. (Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Antique Automobiles.)
Actually, I love it, and think it is good to use them as they were intended.
All kidding aside, though, one needs to be a bit careful in Califunny. Some means of licensing antiques in this silly state specifically forbid hauling of almost any kind. The local "transfer station" (PC-speak for city dump) has a sign at the entrance scales that warns any antique licensed vehicle seen hauling in WILL be reported as a violation to the appropriate taxing agency.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Monday, October 30, 2017 - 07:31 am:

You call that "WORK"? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Monday, October 30, 2017 - 10:16 am:

Show off!
Hal I love it.
It just doesnt seem like work when I use the T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Weaver on Monday, October 30, 2017 - 12:10 pm:

I would post a picture of my TT, but it's sitting with 60 bales of hay on it right now in the barn. - Matt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Dunlap - Orlando, Florida on Monday, October 30, 2017 - 04:14 pm:

Good grief, Hal. That's some serious hauling. Glad to see these old trucks can still perform.

Reminder to all: all work and no play makes your T or TT a dull boy.

So don't forget to load them up with important cargo once in awhile for a good ole time.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration