Low speed drum bushing

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Low speed drum bushing
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Otto on Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 03:08 pm:

How are folks getting the low speed drum bushing out without special tools?
I've got the service book (looked at), tried finding post on it (no real luck).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 03:23 pm:

Chris, I use a burr in a die grind r r to split tbe busjing. Just be careful not to get too far into the steel.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 03:27 pm:

I've never tried it and sent mine to a good shop.
But if I would have tried I would have used a handle hack saw. Its a simple holder for a hacksaw blade. I used it for other brass bushing removal.

You cut the bushing lengthwise the opposite side from each other then carefully use a flat punch to tap out the 2 pieces.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Monday, October 30, 2017 - 12:34 pm:

The correct diameter socket in a press with backup on the iron drum makes short work of the issue.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Monday, October 30, 2017 - 12:39 pm:

I use and hammer and punch which I shaped to an angled point, driven from the gear side out. Cut a groove by careful tapping the hammer along one side to separate the bushing.
I was taught this by an experienced machinist who I respect. When he suggested this method I poo pood it at first as too shade tree for me. When I tried I was convinced it was the way to go. He said to me "Try it, you'll like it." So I did.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brad Marble on Monday, October 30, 2017 - 04:05 pm:

I chuck it in my lathe and bore it until there is nothing left. Brad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Otto on Monday, October 30, 2017 - 04:18 pm:

Brad, we were contemplating the lathe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, October 30, 2017 - 05:16 pm:

Brad and Chris, honey brass brings good money as scrap. I save as much as I can. You blokes must be too well heeled, unless of course you save the turnings!

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Monday, October 30, 2017 - 07:52 pm:

I use a 1-11/16" tap that I got for $3 at a used-machinery shop. Turn it in about 5 threads and you're good to go. Doesn't even have to be perfectly straight. Use a 6 ton press with a brass slug between the tap and the ram, and the bushing comes right out. Just be sure to support the drum on the gear flange, and not on the drum rim.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Monday, October 30, 2017 - 08:02 pm:

If you have access to a lathe, its possible to turn a steel or aluminum plug that will just pass thru the gear end of the drum hub and will be large enough to press the bushing out of the hub- no need to cut it, grind it or pound it out with a punch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Wednesday, November 01, 2017 - 12:38 am:

I second what Dan said. I do it that way all the time. Dan Hatch

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jeff cordes on Wednesday, November 01, 2017 - 08:15 am:

I use a socket in my 3/4 set that just catches the bushing and works every time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Otto on Wednesday, November 01, 2017 - 10:44 am:

Thanks for the ideas.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration