30x3 tires on 30x3 1/2 rim

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 30x3 tires on 30x3 1/2 rim
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 06:49 pm:

I just scored two really nice nonskid tires in 30x3 but my rims are 30x3 1/2 I've always wanted nonskids on my car. Could these be used with my rims, or is that too much of a stretch?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 07:00 pm:

It's the other way, they're too big:

30 - 2 x 3 = 24 inch rim

30 - 2 x 3.5 = 23 inch rim

I have no experience with a 30x3 on a rim designed for a 30x3.5 inch tire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 07:12 pm:

My dad put 30 x 3 on the front of his car (demountable rims) because he knew from reading that this was the correct configuration (not realizing that demountables took all 30 x 3 1/2).

He puttered around town to the tune of about 3000 miles without a problem. Would I do that? NO!!! I'd never get away with it. I never realized this until he gave me some of his extra demountable rims and when I popped the tire off with my hands I realized what he'd done. He told me his tire guy loved it and impressed my dad by putting them on without tire irons. Indeed!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 07:41 pm:

Yup. 30x3-1/2" run on a 23" rim, 30x3" on a 24" rim. No go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 08:09 pm:

Look for someone who would like to trade rims. Some people like to have the same size all the way around.

The 30" is the diameter of the outside of the tire, not the diameter of the rim. Later tires used the diameter of the rim for measurement. 4.50x21" the 21" is the size of the rim and the 4.50 is the width of the tire so the diameter is also 30". but your tire won't fit that rim either.

Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 10:17 pm:

The bottom line is, use the correct tire on the correct rim and you will have no problems! I recently pulled a 30 X 3 tire off a wheel with a 30X3 1/2 tube in it. It even held air! There were creases and folds. Bummer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 10:45 pm:

Hi Daniel how is college going? 1915 frame worked out well.

Nope 30X3 fits on a 24 in rim. Good luck.

John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Monday, October 30, 2017 - 12:12 am:

Hi John, I'm glad that frame worked out! I had a little sellers remorse at first but I'm glad it went to a good home!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Monday, October 30, 2017 - 07:37 am:

When we first got my wife's Touring someone had managed to stretch 30 x 3-1/2's onto the front non-demountable 24" rims. They must have picked a nice hot day to do that!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kevin klein on Monday, October 30, 2017 - 05:20 pm:

My '13 had 30 x 3 tires on the front rims when I bought it and I never suspected a thing till I was on tour with it. My R tire passed me on a L turn while on its way into the ditch. It sheared off the valve stem in the process. They can be used but they won't stay on! Found out later when I measured the rim. Smooth tires look good but handle poorly, even under the best of conditions. A little wet on the road and your steering control is gone at any speed over 15mph. MUCH happier with the Riverside treads on it now.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration