Cut-a-way Model T Engine & Transmission

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Cut-a-way Model T Engine & Transmission
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patterson - Medical Lake, WA on Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 08:24 pm:

Does anyone have instructions and pictures on how to make a cut-a-way view of a T engine & transmission? I'd like to make one as a training and educational aid for newbies in our club. My intent is to make an "operational" T engine so viewers can see the piston and valve movements, as well as a "working" transmission.

Any ideas on how to do this?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 09:45 pm:

Jim my high school shop students made one. Piece of cake!. Look at some examples on line to help you decide where to cut. Get good metal cutting blades and a reciprocating saw. Also you can buy hole saws that cut cast. The iron in the engine is soft enough to easily cut. Clean up you cuts with a die grinder. We left off most of the piston rings to reduce friction.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Doris, AZ on Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 09:53 pm:

Here’s a picture of the cutaway at Greenfield Village.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Monday, October 30, 2017 - 12:00 am:

The cutaway we have at the Piquette Plant has a wheel mounted on a stub connected to the output shaft of the transmission, so you can see what happens when you press the pedals. We also disabled High Gear to make it easier to turn with the crank on the front.

The cutaway engine makes it easy to demonstrate the Model T transmission is a "semi-automatic" not a "stick shift".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire (La Florida!) on Monday, October 30, 2017 - 08:31 am:

From Dan Treace's web page
http://www.tmodelman.com/motordisplay.php

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire (La Florida!) on Monday, October 30, 2017 - 08:36 am:

here is his Profile
http://www.mtfca.com/cgi-bin/discus/board-profile.cgi?action=view_profile&profil e=dan_treace-users
if you P.M. him I think he has a breakdown of what he did for his cutaway engine

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration