Question on reinstalling a piston.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Question on reinstalling a piston.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Weisgerber- Vancouver WA. on Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 10:36 pm:

To make a long story short, I need to change out a connecting rod that has a bad cap (the rest are fine) with a fully reconditioned one from one of the vendors. My question... Are there any concerns that I should be aware of other than keeping the piston orientation correct and making sure the piston ring gaps are in the same position as they were when the piston was removed? I'm pretty mechanically inclined and understand the other aspects involved, just not sure about the rings

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dodd on Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 11:15 pm:

Oh boy here it comes :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 11:31 pm:

Ah , no problem.Just make sure you have a piece of newspaper to measure your bearing clearence. Rings are no problem as long as you keep them spaced 30,60.90 degrees, Good luck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Severn - SE Texas on Monday, October 30, 2017 - 01:59 am:

I think the spacing should be 120 degrees, 240 degrees and 360 degrees. Is that what you meant , John?

Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, October 30, 2017 - 05:15 am:

I think it's a good idea to hone the cylinder while the piston is out, then the piston rings will have a chance to wear in to fit and seal in their new orientation - it'll never be the same as before when a piston has been pulled. Best would be to pull all pistons, measure and check cylinders for wear and if tolerable, hone and fit new rings to all pistons.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Monday, October 30, 2017 - 10:51 am:

And take the new rod to someone locally that can check it for bend & twist and align it for you. If the new rod is bent or twisted a bit, you may have a knock show up somewhere around 1,000 to 2,000 miles.

Rods from the major vendors are notorious for alignment issues, but the average T owner might take 10 years to put on the miles that will produce a knock, so the quality really hasnít improved.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Weisgerber- Vancouver WA. on Monday, October 30, 2017 - 10:56 pm:

Thanks guys I believe I have a plan.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration