Bought my first model T this weekend 1926 2 door coupe

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Bought my first model T this weekend 1926 2 door coupe
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cecil Stults on Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 11:11 pm:

Now what?
It looks to be in good shape.
The guy lost the hood.
It is missing both door windows and one back side window.
Upholstery looks to be good.

What kind of engine oil should I use?
30 wt. Non detergent?
Will non leaded gas hurt it?

It has a downdraft carb. on It now that says FORD
Plate vaporizer.
The guy gave me a side draft carb. and manifold.
The sidedraft carb has a plate on it that says VIDCH or VIOCH also
industria Argentina.

which carb setup should I use?

I am going to have a lot more questions.
Is there a book or manual that I should pick up?

I wish my dad were still alive to see it.
I am in Texas.
Thanks for any replies.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Jensen on Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 11:34 pm:

Now the fun starts. Reproduction hoods are available, or place a wanted ad in the classified section. Any oil is better than what was available in 1926. I use 5W-30 what is on sale. You don't need non detergent. None of the gas in 26 was leaded, so cheapest unleaded is fine. I have never run a vaporizer carb. some like then some don't. The carb of choice here is the Holley/Ford NH with your side draft manifold. The parts suppliers sell a kit to run the throttle linkage over the top of the engine, instead of through it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 11:36 pm:

Uh Oh,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JIM WILSON, AMORY, MS on Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 11:42 pm:

There are several hoods on eBay. Put an ad on MTFCA classifieds.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cecil Stults on Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 11:44 pm:

thank you Dan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cecil Stults on Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 11:52 pm:

was looking at your pics.
mine may not be a coupe.
it has two doors . front bucket seats and a back seat. the windows in the back roll down and are much wider than the door windows.

what style is that?

was $6000 too much to give?
supposedly new babbit bearings aluminum pistons
Kevlar transmission bands and rear end rebuilt.
one owner ago.....

hmmm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 11:56 pm:

Welcome to the affliction, as we say around here. Since you asked specifically, I'll start with these:

http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG80.html

http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG103.html

This one is also important: http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG79.html

You may find some of the other pages there helpful.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 11:57 pm:

Welcome to a great hobby and the Forum. I'm sure there are a lot of us who would love to see some pictures of your T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, October 30, 2017 - 12:00 am:

Your description sounds like a Tudor sedan. Let's see it.

From what you've described so far, at six grand you didn't get stung.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cecil Stults on Monday, October 30, 2017 - 01:12 am:

I can't figure out how to get a pic uploaded in this forum.
will check the help sec.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Monday, October 30, 2017 - 03:39 am:

Cecil I too wish my dad was still here to see, and ride in my T.
We bought ours a year ago this month, and drove it for the first time this month. An accident that resulted in some hospital time delayed the first ride a little.
I feel like we got a good deal in our T . I have discovered that Ts are like wives. Some mornings I can hardly wait to get to the garage and other days it will drive you crazy. I hope you enjoy yours.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cecil Stults on Monday, October 30, 2017 - 09:12 am:

Thank you Steve Jeff for the info to learn from

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cecil Stults on Monday, October 30, 2017 - 09:14 am:

Steve Jelf sorry to mess up your name

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, October 30, 2017 - 09:32 am:

Yeh, definitely a two door. When you say "bucket seats", I sure hope they aren't really "bucket", which would mean someone re-fitted the car with something much more modern. I can help you upload pics, PM me with ur phone number and we'll go from there. It's not that hard. Sounds like a good car for a good price.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Govoni Fredericksburg, VA on Monday, October 30, 2017 - 10:20 am:

Got to GOOGLE and type your question and then MTFCA. I be you will find a thread for most of what you asked about. Have fun!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Monday, October 30, 2017 - 12:01 pm:

Cecil, welcome to the forum and the Model T world.
Vern

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, Mostly in Dearborn on Monday, October 30, 2017 - 12:35 pm:

I like the title of this thread.

"First Model T" implies you will be buying more in time. They're like the old Lay's Potato Chip advertisement; Bet you can't own just one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eyssen - Abilene TX on Monday, October 30, 2017 - 05:01 pm:

Lots of folks in North Texas that can help you. Look up the club info in MTFCA. Good luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kathy Harris - Garland, Texas on Monday, October 30, 2017 - 05:11 pm:

Hi Cecil - I'm the membership chair for the Dallas/Ft Worth Lone Star T's. Our next meeting is Sunday, November 12th - Tire Kicking at 2:00, Business Meeting at 2:30, we would LOVE for you to come visit with us. We meet at the Central Congregational Church, 5600 Royal Lane, Dallas. We have a monthly event called Men's Night Out - we could get a group to come visit with you and your T - you could get the info you need. Please PM me if you would like further contact info.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Monday, October 30, 2017 - 09:04 pm:

Cecil emailed me a couple of pictures of his car to post here.

Looks like a very nice car...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Monday, October 30, 2017 - 10:40 pm:

AH ?? The infamous " what kind of oil ' question .

That a tricky question here. You'll get all kinds of answers on that .
First question is has the engine been rebuilt ??? Ask previous owner if thats poss. If it has been rebuilt in recent years, most of the guys will recommend any quality 10/30, some will say cheapest Walmart stuff with the adage that it's still 20 times better than what they had back in the day. Some like Shell Rotella in 15w40. Some like me do use Synthetic, but thats tricky. Syntec for modern cars should not be used !!! There's is a trick though and I do use syntec in my car.

As far as gas, cheap regular is fine. No lead or premium grades were not around back when the T was new wasn't around.
Keep us updated with pics and questions Oh, and Steve Jelf like to say with all newcomers "Welcome to our affliction "

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Monday, October 30, 2017 - 10:52 pm:

Cecil: For my Friend Steve Jeff,. opps I meant Jelf~! Just don't forget to call him for Breakfast ---Lunch ---- or Dinner. He would answer to all of them. I have to say he is a great fellow and a wealth of information.
You will make a lot of friend here and do not think that any question is stupid or dumb, as that is how you will find a lot of things to do

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Monday, October 30, 2017 - 10:59 pm:

Lots of local clubs in your area to.http://www.mtfca.com/clubpages/chapters.htm#tx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Monday, October 30, 2017 - 11:39 pm:

Cecil......I hope you wind up loving your '26 Tudor as much as I love my '27........ :-O

27 Tudor

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cecil Stults on Tuesday, October 31, 2017 - 12:08 am:

Thanks for all the replies folks.
I will be asking questions. Been working on engines all my life so I know a little.
My T is in east Texas and I am north of Dallas so I can only get to it on the weekends. Except I am recently retired and my weekends can be whenever I want.

I have never heard a model T engine run or driven one.
I will probably post my experiences on both these milestones.
I ran up to tractor supply to get a 6v Battery last weekend. But they were out of them. I spent my time on removing and cleaning the carb. The prev owner said it leaked gas.
So I prob will try to start the engine next visit.

There are no wires hooked to the key switch in the car so I have some wiring issues to figure out.
I have found a schematic so that will help.

More later.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Tuesday, October 31, 2017 - 03:00 am:

Like the car.
black balloon
FYI, Autozone at 1600 Custer Rd, Plano, TX 75075 has a 6-volt battery in stock. $94.99 + $12 core.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Jensen on Tuesday, October 31, 2017 - 08:37 am:

Nice car for $ 6,000. I have had good service from the Duracell group 1 batteries from Batteries Plus.

https://www.batteriesplus.com/productdetails/sli1

There is a thread here about the new wiring harnesses from Lang's. A new harness is well worth the investment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eubanks, Powell, TN on Tuesday, October 31, 2017 - 05:32 pm:

Where are you located? Rural King has the best deal on 6v batt. for less than fifty bucks. Also, nothing wrong with the vaporizer fuel setup, been running them for years and many, many miles over the mountains!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Tuesday, October 31, 2017 - 08:53 pm:

Cecil, please do post your milestones when you get there! It IS so cool to bring them back to life and driving? Wow.
Dick, thank you for helping Cecil with the pics! Great looking Tudor! That mostly all black look is really neat!
Shoot, I'd like to see a pic of that Argentinian carb!
The vaporizer: Did you note how the vaporizer plate and the primary air tube look? Hopefully no rust-out.
Jim is right, nothing wrong with them.
They do need to be well sealed if I'm correct and no rusted-out parts especially the vaporizer plate, primary air tube and outlet pipe.

vaporizer

Cecil, does this help at all? This is a VowellArt drawing. Thanks much Martin! Your drawings are invaluable!
Remember, you can get an ignition switch temped in real easy. Keep it simple to start it with if you'd like.

Oh! Does your Tudor have a generator?
IMPORTANT.
We can run the engine without hooking the generator up to the battery but PLEASE ground out the terminal on the generator first!
Not the output from the cutout (the little round cutout bolted to the generator-if it's there) but the terminal between the two.
Run a wire from the generator terminal to a generator rear cover screw, remove a lock washer if the screw is too short.
This keeps the generator from potentially burning itself up! :-) Easy-peasey.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cecil Stults on Tuesday, October 31, 2017 - 10:51 pm:

Duey thanks
my vaporizer plate is shiny new
the primary air tube has no rust that I see
the outlet pipe is loose in the outlet pipe nut.
(your pic)
and yes the picture is a great help.
The pipe nut is all chewed up from someone's pliars. I will tighten it or pookie it up with silicone gasket stuff.

there looks to be a generator on the lower passenger side of the motor. I will check the wiring but I think I saw a paper clip bent around probably grounding the generator terminal. Is a paper clip long enough to ground it as you say or am I seeing something else?
what is the removable cap at the front of what looks like a generator? A oil fill hole?

It is the start of deer season here in Texas so I will have to put off playing with my new toy for a weekend or two. Kind of want to play with the T.

thanks for all your help.
I will take a pic of the argentine carb.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Tuesday, October 31, 2017 - 11:13 pm:

Sounds good. That outlet pipe nut needs to be tight! Funny, the vaporizer primary air tube here has started to potty a tiny bit whilst hand cranking (choked) down at the bowl and yet starts up great.
Yep. That's the oil fill. :-)
Good luck hunting! My son has gotten two with a string and a stick (bow and arrow) this year.
One here and another on his grandpa's land! :-) I wonder if he'll send some venison our way... :-/
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Will --- North Jersey on Tuesday, October 31, 2017 - 11:31 pm:

Besides the hood, looks like you're missing the headlights and windshield visor also. Its the same car I have but mine has wooden wheels. Have lots of fun with it!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration