Another Rip Van Winkle?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Another Rip Van Winkle?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 11:48 pm:

Most of us have seen the newsreel footage of Henry with this car as it rolled out of the factory. I assume it hasn't been driven a lot, but I wonder how many miles it has on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, October 30, 2017 - 05:03 am:

Not many miles, that's for sure - but unfortunately someone during its first 30(?) years thought the original paint was too dull and repainted it, thus reducing its historical value.
The tires has also been swapped :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Monday, October 30, 2017 - 06:50 am:

I wonder where the saddles are to hold the top when its folded down? You can see where they have been because the paint is worn off by the set screws. Also looks like the nickel has either flaked off the steering quadrant case or dulled considerably. I'll bet if you pulled the gas tank in the cowl you would find traces of the original paint.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Monday, October 30, 2017 - 09:58 am:

Itís my understanding that this car spent time at the trade school where it occasionally was disassembled & reassembled.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, October 30, 2017 - 10:06 am:

Anybody know what the very last T to roll off the assembly line was and where it went? That would be interesting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, October 30, 2017 - 10:57 am:

From the encyclopedia: A car bearing the engine number of 15,007,033 is reputed to be the last Model T Ford produced. [Engine made June 1, 1927] Engine production, for the most part listed as "truck" continued through the year. Ford branches apparently continued assembling cars until stocks of parts were depleted. 69,198 engines were built in 1927 between May and December of 1927 (15,007,034 to 15,076,231).

I've never seen any information on the body style of #15,007,033 or where it went. Some sources online refer to later 1927 production in other countries until parts on hand were used up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Blake, Kansas City on Monday, October 30, 2017 - 11:17 am:

I can't remember the source (probably this forum) but I thought I read the very last fully assembled T rolled out of the plant in Cork Ireland.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Monday, October 30, 2017 - 11:51 am:

A past discussion on the "last" Model T noted some were assembled well into 1928. ?!!? Who knows ?

Whe we're on the subject, is the ten millionth T (also a touring) still preserved in a museum ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, October 30, 2017 - 03:03 pm:

I have a feeling that with the abundance of Model T parts near the end of production whether here or in the states Ford used up all the parts that were available to build a complete vehicle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Monday, October 30, 2017 - 05:00 pm:

And, where is the 15 millionth now?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, October 30, 2017 - 05:52 pm:

It's parked in this ľ scale model of the first Ford factory at Greenfield Village. The car on the right is one of the new Model T's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Monday, October 30, 2017 - 07:23 pm:

What NEW model ts?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, October 30, 2017 - 07:34 pm:

Tommy: Here's a good article about Ford's 2003 T-100 project: https://www.google.se/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo /T-100.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwi-ru7AwJnXAhXRaFAKHcjtCx8QFghFMAo&usg=AOvVaw2GwmQVODtnRuSR vXvggRls

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, October 30, 2017 - 09:45 pm:

You see the new T's hauling people all around the village...

...along with the Model AA bus.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Tuesday, October 31, 2017 - 12:17 pm:

I was at GF in June, and was dismayed to see the 15mil in the Mack building, hopefully its not spending the winter out there as I believe it's unheated. And as to the Ten Mil it's not currently in any museum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick J. Gunter -- Sparta, Missouri, USA on Tuesday, October 31, 2017 - 12:39 pm:

So, does the 10 millionth car still exist in a private collection, or what? Are there any other milestone Model Ts?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Tuesday, October 31, 2017 - 12:57 pm:

Jerry H., I think the 15 Mil. car has been in this unheated building for a few years already. Ya, it's really a bummer. That car should have been properly stored / preserved many years ago already.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, October 31, 2017 - 01:10 pm:

It would be really neat if the No. 1 Model T could be in a display along with the very last. But I don't think that would or could ever take place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, October 31, 2017 - 02:40 pm:

John

That meeting was held in 1927 :-) The day that 15 million was made!

Story part, it was a rainy day when #15mil was done, and the ride to the celebration was made with the top down, both Henry and Edsel got wet that day.

This close up shows that assembly line worker installed the top prop rod, normally those were in the tool compartment, but installed as they knew this Ford was going out with top down.

On the way...

After that #15 million did a tour visiting Ford dealers from coast to coast, so it has miles on it. But then it got the best treatment, forever more in the Ford museum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Tuesday, October 31, 2017 - 07:02 pm:

Model T Ten Million was/is owned by Dr.Alan Hathaway of Davenport, Iowa.
He founded the Lincoln Highway Rediscovery Committee, of which I was a member.
At some point,he drove it on a recreation of its 1924 trip.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, November 01, 2017 - 08:38 am:

The "five millionth" Model T coupe is shown at the Museum of American Speed in Lincoln, Nebraska, but it seems to be a modern recreation - the engine number in the coupe doesn't look like the five millionth engine in a 1921 factory photo. Plenty of other fun stuff at that museum, though, so still worth a visit :-)

If there's a ten millionth T in Davenport, Iowa, then it's unfortunately likely it's also a modern creation - according to Ford's records, the ten millionth engine was restamped with a 1927 model year number (14,548,000) at November 18, 1926: http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/doc26.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Wednesday, November 01, 2017 - 10:12 am:

I was at the Ford museum in Dearborn in 2006 or 7 and the 15 millionth T was in the museum at that time. As I recall, it was located near the main entrance near the Kennedy Lincoln.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Wednesday, November 01, 2017 - 01:07 pm:

Why would they have put a 1927 model year number on their ten millionth engine? It would have used a bunch of incorrect (some may say obsolete) parts by that time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Wednesday, November 01, 2017 - 01:19 pm:

Jim, I hate to tell you this but his car has never been authenticated. In fact just a few years ago on a tour a friend of mine asked to see his engine and was refused.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, November 01, 2017 - 01:32 pm:

Tim: Yes, why?
Guess we'll never know? Maybe Ford was depressed since he had finally realized he had to cease production of the T and hasten the development of the successor, thus away with all the old stuff and make room for the new?

"NOV 18 Engine production records, Ford Archives
"Motor numbers ground off and replacement numbers: 10,000,000 to 14,548,000; 12,000,000 to 14,546,000; and 13,000,000 to 14,549,000."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Wednesday, November 01, 2017 - 01:40 pm:

Seems like a lot more effort than necessary to get three engines out the door. I guess it implies that those milestone engines were likely not installed in cars. It also feels to me like maybe twelve and thirteen million were thought to be the last round numbers (right up until they weren't) as surely the writing was on the wall by then that they would have to replace the T sooner rather than later.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration