Brake pedal adjustment

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Brake pedal adjustment
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Monday, October 30, 2017 - 04:21 am:

Although the pedal stops before touching the floor on my '21 Touring, I would like for it to stop a little higher. I am afraid to tighten it any more because I don't want the brake band to be too tight on the drum. How much/little should the end of the band move when the adjustment is right? Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, October 30, 2017 - 05:44 am:

Tommy, I adjust mine as loose as possible, consistent with maximum braking effect plus a tad in reserve. The idea is to keep the oil circulating around the drums as much as possible. The looser the band the less chance of one not so round dragging while the car is driven.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Monday, October 30, 2017 - 08:38 am:

Hi Tommy,

Might your pedal be bent and is causing it to be closer to the floor board when depressed? Could you bent it backwards a bit? Good luck with your project, Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, October 30, 2017 - 11:29 am:

Check the amount of free play before the pedal shaft starts to move sideways. It should begin to move sideways with less than an inch of forward movement. If it starts to move sideways when the pedal is almost to the floorboard, you need to address the cam on the side of the hogs head. Other possible problems would be a bent pedal.

The reason for what I posted above is that in order to get the brake to work when there is excessive wear on the cam you would need to tighten the band too tight and the band would drag when the brake is off. That causes rapid wear on the band and the possibility of cracked drums. This same principle applies to all the pedals. Usually the problem will be with brake and low but since the reverse is used less often seldom have this problem with reverse.
Norm

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration