Lifting a T with a jack.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Lifting a T with a jack.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Nebelsky on Monday, October 30, 2017 - 06:09 pm:

Hello to everybody. I am still pretty new to Model T's and have been following the forum for awhile now. It still amazes me how much knowledge and information one can find on this website. Thanks to everyone who posts.

My T is a 1915 touring from Canada (with the 4 doors). I need to pull the rear wheels and just wanted to make sure that it is ok to jack up the rear end putting the jack under the axle tube. If not, where is the safest place to put the jack so as to not damage the car? On the same note, is it ok to jack up the front end putting the jack under the front axle?Rear axle tube1915 T Thank you in advance for your help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Monday, October 30, 2017 - 06:15 pm:

Yes, under the tube close to the wheel- NOT under the differential.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Monday, October 30, 2017 - 06:16 pm:

Nice Car! I jack my '27 by the outer ends of the axle tubes and so far no wheels have fallen off, no explosions, the horn hasn't stuck. I think that using the tubes is fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, October 30, 2017 - 09:53 pm:

As Tim says, jack near the ends both in front and in back. You probably won't bend anything jacking in the center, but I'd rather not risk it.

I made an adapter to lift both sides together.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Tuesday, October 31, 2017 - 06:16 am:

Early cars I wouldn't jack in the center. Later T's no problem. I've been doing it on mine since the 70's, and have never had a problem with any rear-end. Think about it, with the age of these cars, in the day, everyone one of them had to have been jacked there many times. I also jack my Ruckstells in the center and never have any issues.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Tuesday, October 31, 2017 - 09:39 am:

I regularly jack up on the pumpkin both stock & Ruckstells on later T's but not on early ones or like our '14 with the truss support, I use one of those "easy-up" lever jacks - set the notch then just lift - only way to clear the rod is outboard at the end.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Nebelsky on Tuesday, October 31, 2017 - 04:35 pm:

Thanks for the info. Anything I should look out for when removing the rear wheels? I have removed the front ones without a problem but haven't tried the back wheels yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Tuesday, October 31, 2017 - 04:54 pm:

Yeah, they're most likely gonna be stuck. If you can drive it, take the cotter pin out of the axles, back the nut off a half a turn then put the cotter pin back in and drive it around the yard, making sharp turns. That will usually get them to pop loose. If you cant drive it, they make pullers that screw to the hub cap threads and have a 'bolt' that pushes against the axle. They also make "Knockers" that you screw to the axle. It's pretty crude, so don't do it unless you hafta, but you jack up one side, put the 'knocker' on the other side and hit it with a hammer. Also, some of the pullers have a hollow 'bolt' with a pin inside that can be hit with a hammer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, October 31, 2017 - 10:13 pm:

With the wheel you are going to pull on the ground, puller installed, jack up the other side, then hit the puller with a good smack with a big hammer after the puller is all snugged up good and tight. That moves the axle away from the wheel not the wheel away from the axle, works more often then not. After the wheel is broke free, lower the other side and jack up the side you are taking off. Other suggestion, take off the axle nut and turn it around and run down on the axle till it's flush with the end. Do this before you put the puller on. Don't forget to take the puller and remove the nut before you finish pulling the wheel if the puller is needed to finish the job.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, October 31, 2017 - 10:15 pm:

That is if you are pulling the wheel with a puller. If you are using a knocker nut make sure it's seated all the way down but do the same thing with jacking the car.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration