Model T Kit Cars Information Question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Model T Kit Cars Information Question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Davis on Monday, October 30, 2017 - 07:24 pm:

Recently on craigs list for Houston,TX there was a ad for a "1908 model T Kit Car" in magnolia ,TX it was lime green, and looked like a 26 rag top Roadster with modern large tires and standard steel five lug wheels at first glance this looked like a Hot rod with a V8 engine, but You could see it had a model T engine with coil / distributor ignition and You could see the dual control rods for Gas and timing running along side the steering column and see the normal T timing lever under the steering wheel, I have heard of a couple of companies that made model A reproductions but cant find any information on a T reproduction car with a original model T engine, The ad went away, and the seller would not respond to inquires about the car. Wonder if any of The T gang has any information on T-Kits cars, Just curious.
Thanks Jim The "NOVICE"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Monday, October 30, 2017 - 07:49 pm:

I can tell you this; I put a plastic body on a VW chassis back in the 80's. A really fun build but overall a mistake. The kit was a British racer called a Frazier Nash. It was a horror show to title and when I tired of it I couldn't get rid of it. No takers until a dealer came along who thought he could turn a profit on it. Not a loss but I was glad to see it go. It's just a plastic replica and I wouldn't take another one for free. Save yer $ and get the real thing. Experience talkin' here. If you watch Fast and Loud you've seen one like it. Richard Rawlins bought it for $800.00 (about the price of the basic kit back then) and sold it for $4000.00 if you believe the TV show. I got about half that. They are also on e-bay and they don't move there either. Plastic T bodies are out there and are usually referred to as 1923 T Bucket but Ford never made a body like that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Davis on Monday, October 30, 2017 - 11:33 pm:

Thanks Charles, I bought the real thing a 26 Touring a month ago, The reproduction caught my eye because it had a non water pump Model T engine in it with hand throttle and spark advance, usually they use a Pinto, Chevette or VW engines. and I was curious about the brakes and transmission if they stuck with T original transmission, I don't know if You could use a different transmission on a Model T without major engine work. I know the DMV was a House of horrors, been there done that on a Whizzer MoPed, 150 cc motor with a intake restrictor which made it equal to 50cc requirement for a MoPed license.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Tuesday, October 31, 2017 - 08:47 am:

It's possible that someone bought a bunch of parts out of a hot rod catalogue and un-hot-rodded it. It's kind of a weird thing to do and I don't really understand the logic, but there's a local guy here doing exactly that. He has a '23 T-bucket tub, a set of '26 glass fenders and running boards, tube chassis, and modern running gear with some small inline four. The goal in his case is to make something that's externally a Model T, but modern on the inside. There's also a fellow just outside town with a "1915 Model T speedster" made out of a mid-40's truck. At first glance you see a vary brassy speedster but then you see the proportions are off and that it's huge. Anyways, the thing you found on CL was probably built in a similar way but with a Model T engine that was laying around.

Either that or it was a scam ad using pictures from elsewhere online and a made up description.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Tuesday, October 31, 2017 - 09:15 am:

Most VW"kit cars" used a shortened floor pan. VW stamped the VIN in the center of the pan just about under the rear seat. This was precisely the area that was removed when the pan was shortened. I know that at one point California insisted that a police officer verify the VIN before the removal, and the VIN would be restamped somewhere else on the chassis. If this was not done, the car could not be registered. Obviously this was to prevent the VW from being stolen then turned into a dune buggy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Weaver on Tuesday, October 31, 2017 - 10:18 am:

They can be fun and don't have to worry about cutting up original Model T's to build one. I've got a plan to build a 26 Track T roadster as they call them from Speedway some day using a 46 Mercury Rear end, 56 Ford 292 Y-block and some other old Ford parts I have collected. Better than sending them off to the scrap yard. - Matt

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration