Rear cam bushing material?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Rear cam bushing material?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Monday, October 30, 2017 - 09:02 pm:

I know that early engines had CI bushings for the cam...later engines had ???

Bronze? 660?

Z-Bronze?

what are people using successfully?

I am not partial to installing brass...

Thanks in advance...scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Spencer Vibert - Granby ,CT on Monday, October 30, 2017 - 09:27 pm:

Scott I use Z bronze

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Monday, October 30, 2017 - 09:56 pm:

Most original blocks I have seen had steel bushing at the rear of the camshaft. I know the 15 did for sure, as I reworked it when I added the VW oil pump. Most suppliers provide a bronze replacement.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting, Clare, Iowa on Monday, October 30, 2017 - 10:46 pm:

Scott, make them out of old triple gear bushings.

We have been doing that for 50 years.

Herm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Monday, October 30, 2017 - 10:57 pm:

Most early blocks, as I recall had a bronze bushing in the rear, but yes the early front and center cam bearings were cast iron without a babbit liner. Later rear bushing were cast iron. Herm's solution is a good one.

Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Monday, October 30, 2017 - 11:10 pm:

The engine I'm doing had a steel bushing in it, with no notch or groove to channel oil. I assumed it was a replacement. Would the original bush have been thus, or would it have been notched and grooved?

FYI- subject engine: This was a barn find that ran great when started after many years, but found it to have a blown up flywheel when I inspected as to why the mag didn't work...was a miracle it ran as well as it did (about an hour before retiring it again waiting for this inspection/refurb). Crank is like new, bores are standard with aluminum pistons...only .002 out of round/taper in cylinders. Cam bushing and bearings have enough wear to warrant replacement. This is why I'm asking this question...

I appreciate all the responses...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Tuesday, October 31, 2017 - 09:48 am:

Most, if not all the engines I've done had a the cast rear bushing with the oil groove & notch with the exception of a couple early blocks '10-'15 - sounds like a replacement bushing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom 30 miles N of Memphis TN on Tuesday, October 31, 2017 - 10:29 am:

Follow Herm's suggestion of triple gear bushing. Once reamed up to fit the cam you will still have enough oil grove remaining. I also drill a oil hole at the top of the bushing and using a larger dill bit, form a countersink which collects oil.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration