U-joint grease: How many cups?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: U-joint grease: How many cups?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, October 31, 2017 - 12:18 am:

I lost count, but I turned in at least six full cups. Maybe seven. It never did start oozing out anywhere. Anybody know how many cups it takes to fill the cavity? I'm just curious how close to full it is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Tuesday, October 31, 2017 - 12:59 am:

How many cups is a couple of handfuls?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, October 31, 2017 - 06:22 am:

Only half of the cup gets into the U-joint ball for every complete screw down, so it's quite time consuming - I consider putting a zerk fitting inside since I fill four cups every time I've been out more than 50 miles - and it still won't ooze out, takes like 50 cups to fill, it seems :-)

(Got to check up that fourth main this winter, it's leaking a lot of oil diluting the grease, so that's why I fill so often with grease)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, October 31, 2017 - 08:52 am:

I agree with Roger. I have the grease cup with the zerk in all mine. If the cavity is empty, you could take literally all day filling it as it should be using just the cup. About every 500 miles I get out my grease gun and give it about 30-35 pumps, after an afternoon out, some grease will start to ooze out around the coupling ring. I figure I have plenty enough in it then!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Tuesday, October 31, 2017 - 10:42 am:

Tim,

Wow, I also do 30 pumps.

Steve,

If you love the original grease cups in their unmodified condition, I would recommend removing them, temporarily installing zerks, greasing it, then replacing the cups. A LOT easier on the wrists.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, October 31, 2017 - 10:45 am:

The best thing to do is pack the cavity with light chassis grease before you slip the torque tube into the back of the engine. Tims suggestion on a zerk is good too if you really need to get a lot of light grease in there, but I still would put the standard grease cup back on after that. Don't use cup grease either, it's too thick.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, October 31, 2017 - 10:49 am:

Do not use grease with molybdnm in it. Sometimes it gets through the 4th main into the transmission and can screw up the magneto. Use just plain grease.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, October 31, 2017 - 12:04 pm:

I have original cup and just hold down firmly on tip of gun and pump away. It seals good till about full. Steve please let us know how many cups. I have been thinking about it all day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Sebaugh in Jackson, Missouri on Tuesday, October 31, 2017 - 12:31 pm:

Dallas, said "I have original cup and just hold down firmly on tip of gun and pump away. It seals good till about full."
I do the same thing but I have a rubber hose (on the outside of the metal end) that sticks out a little from the end of the metal tip to make the seal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, October 31, 2017 - 01:13 pm:

You can buy rubber tipped grease needles at some auto parts stores. Or, you can raid your old parts bins for small vacuum caps, punch a hole in one end, and slide it over a metal grease needle. :-)

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Tuesday, October 31, 2017 - 01:49 pm:

In using the rubber tipped grease needle, are you removing the entire cup or are you just removing the cap and sticking the needle down into the bottom of the cup ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, October 31, 2017 - 01:59 pm:

I just remove cap. If you remove cup you could screw in temporary zerk, but I am lazy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Tuesday, October 31, 2017 - 02:02 pm:

Have your cake and eat it too:

https://www.modeltford.com/item/2579GR.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, October 31, 2017 - 02:31 pm:

The bottom of the cup acts like a guide and funnels the grease needle into position, leave the cup in.

By the way, I also use the rubber tipped grease needle pressed into the oilers to grease my spring shackle bushings, see attached thread.

I do use chain saw bar oil on the kingpins and tie rods because I want the oil to run down the full length of them. :-)

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/755416.html?1495153672

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, October 31, 2017 - 07:30 pm:

Walter, that's the exact grease cup/zerk outfit I use on all 3 of mine. The '20 & the '12 have had the rear end/drive shaft pulled so they went back together packed with grease to begin with, so now it's real easy to keep 'em that way...hence the 30-35 pumps. The '13 is next on the list. When I first got it, I took the old standard cup off and peeked in the hole, as expected, it looked pretty empty! So on went the "cheater" and I did probably 50-65 pumps, I think it got pretty full by then. When it came to judging time at the annual tour two years ago, I put the correct one on. The zerk cup is back on again!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Tuesday, October 31, 2017 - 11:07 pm:

I just keep packing it in there until I see fresh grease oozing out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cameron Whitaker, Oklahoma City on Tuesday, October 31, 2017 - 11:10 pm:

A LOT :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, October 31, 2017 - 11:31 pm:

I was going to use the gun until I saw what Dallas said. It's up to a dozen cups now, and still no ooze. I'll do some more tomorrow. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Tuesday, October 31, 2017 - 11:55 pm:

If you do not have a good seal you could be pumping a ton of grease into your transmission. Not a good idea.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, November 01, 2017 - 01:42 am:

Mighty unlikely. It's a fresh ball cap. Not much clearance for grease to get through.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Wednesday, November 01, 2017 - 07:03 am:

If it starts coming out the oil fill, you put too much in Steve! Lol

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Wednesday, November 01, 2017 - 09:08 am:

The grease will leak out between the ball and the cap before it will ever go into the engine.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, November 01, 2017 - 10:47 am:

Calculate the inside volume of the sphere less the volume of the U-joint. That should tell you the approx. required amount of grease to fill the void.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, November 02, 2017 - 08:30 pm:

The answer:

about eighteen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Thursday, November 02, 2017 - 08:51 pm:

Good to know. I need to buy the new cup with the fitting inside. That's cool.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter B. Ratledge on Thursday, November 02, 2017 - 09:05 pm:

First of all, Steve, What kind of grease are you using? RED GREASE !! I agree with Larry and Walter. I filled the ball cap with grease before I put it together. I have a zerk fitting on my u-joint and the drive shaft on my 1911. every time I go on a tour I grease them 10 times with a grease gun. It has worked well for 25 years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, November 02, 2017 - 10:04 pm:

Yes, red. Royce packs his timer with the stuff and he says it works, so maybe it's OK. Now that I've done it this way, next time I'll fill the thing before I put it together.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Hughes, Raymond, NE on Friday, November 03, 2017 - 12:10 am:

How many cups? Depends on cup size. C? D?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Bohlen, Severn MD on Friday, November 03, 2017 - 06:25 am:

Steve, that's a good one I was thinking along the lines of "how many licks to the center of a tootsie roll pop"

Tootsie roll pop

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, November 03, 2017 - 09:51 am:

LOL, it looks like it's sticking its tongue out at you for packing it so full! :-O

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, November 03, 2017 - 11:19 am:

Looks like Steve needs to do some safety wiring!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Hand on Friday, November 03, 2017 - 12:21 pm:

I use white lithium grease in several of the grease cups. Steve's picture is showing the starter switch, I hope he has added a fuse somewhere in the circuit that feeds the wiring harness, that hot terminal is where I added mine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, November 03, 2017 - 01:24 pm:

The upper ball joint bolts use castle nuts and cotter pins, it's the lower ones that thread into a blind hole and have to be safety wired. :-)

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/425871.html?1393081993

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Friday, November 03, 2017 - 04:36 pm:

Thanks Steve Jelf. 18! I will sleep better tonight. That is alot of turning on and off. I dont know if I will give up the grease gun just yet. I used gun to greases rear bearings after rebuild. Cant over fill them with modern seal because it oozes out after removing the gun. Yes makes quite the mess. Now I know the number is 18 cups I can check out your video of OCF. I have looked forward to viewing it all day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, November 03, 2017 - 05:14 pm:

I've experienced the same problem,....that of refilling and screwing down that U-joint grease cup,....over, and over, and OVER,..... again, again and again! And I hate to admit it, but I never had the patience that Steve had, to continue that operation until grease began to ooze out, indicating that the ball housing is full!

So, that prompts a thought in my feeble mind that will probably sound ridiculous, but I manage to make a fool of myself quite often on the forum, so what's once more, right?

I really do think that the replacement grease cup with the zerk fitting for a grease gun built into it really makes good sense, but how about this,..... ???

I have this "vision" of some sort of simple adaptor for your portable variable speed reversible drill chuck that would quickly and easily screw the grease cup all the way down and all the way back up very quickly and easily. With a decent chuck with slip clutch like is so common on portable drills nowadays, there would be little chance of doing any damage by too much force (torque) and there must be several simple ways of attaching such an adaptor, such as the several ways valve lapping tools are attached to poppet valves. Does this make any sense?

FWIW,.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Saturday, November 04, 2017 - 08:44 am:

Larry Bohlen, I have been thinking about that the whole time. "How many turns will it take to get the center filed with grease from a grease cup", LOL!!

I have done as others have, I tapped my grease cup for a modern zerk fitting. Once the cup cap is on, no one knows.

That was before I had a rubber tipped attachment for my grease gun, but to me, I'd still do the zerk fitting. To each there own. I keep Napa Zerk fittings on hand, Attached is a pic of them and the part#'s for those interested. Small ones for small cups, large ones for the large cups. 1/8" NPT and 1/4" NPT threads respectively.

Be careful taping the grease cups. I have found some to be very difficult to tap, but was afraid to drill, or drill bigger than I already had for the tap. Most times you can tap without drilling, just don't break your tap off. Experience is key here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Saturday, November 04, 2017 - 08:55 am:

For those that may have a worn upper drive shaft bushing and use thin grease at the universal joint you may want to check the oil level of your differential occasionally. I had a '24 years ago where the oil level in the differential magically rose over time to where I occasionally had to open the plug to drain the level down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, November 04, 2017 - 11:46 am:

The U-joint cup, I use modern zerk. The only time anyone can see it is with the floor out. The other's, I tapped a screw on cap and put it on any of the other cups that I want to grease. That way with the correct cap back on the small ones, everything looks stock.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Green - So Cal on Monday, November 06, 2017 - 04:10 pm:

I guess that I am in the minority....

For the U-joint I use a latex gloved hand and with my thumb I simply pack a glob of grease and force it into the open cup about 6 or 7 times until the grease oozes out the joint. Mastering the right technique makes it go really fast and efficient! Once full I pack the cap and screw it down a few turns and leave it there until next time.

I do the same with my index finger (instead of my thumb) for the smaller dope cups on the drive shaft and rear axle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman, New Zealand on Monday, November 06, 2017 - 04:58 pm:

A few years ago a T was bought from an estate sale. The owner had it from new. The salesman said 2 screws every day, and that is what the owner did.
When stripping it down grease was packed solid right down the torque tube, through the diff housing and back out to the wheel hubs !

It seems he screwed down that cap every day, whether the car was used or not!

I guess it was well protected from rust.........

(A true story, I kid you not)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lloyde Eckley on Monday, November 06, 2017 - 07:35 pm:

Good on you, Mike. That is exactly how I do it, very simple. I do the same on the other grease cups too!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Monday, November 06, 2017 - 08:18 pm:

I must have enough grease in mine cause it's oozing out around the ball. I packed it completely full when I put the car together. I put a grease fitting in my cup. I might give it a few pumps before I drive it again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Monday, November 06, 2017 - 08:32 pm:

I had a T come in for some service & repair a number of years ago after the fellow drove it from Chicago to Seattle - first time even driving a Model T (I heard he was going to write a book about his adventures) and when I tore the rear axle assembly apart, it was completely packed with chassis grease !!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 08:36 am:

Mine oozes out from around the ball shortly after a drive, not during the drive - makes me wonder if I should add a vent to the rear axle assembly somewhere. :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration