To Scrap or Not To Scrap Starters and Generators

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: To Scrap or Not To Scrap Starters and Generators
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Will --- North Jersey on Tuesday, October 31, 2017 - 11:40 pm:

I have a stack of generators and starters I salvaged from a barn collapse. See photo. They are in bad shape but can be rebuilt. My local junkie will give me about $2 each. They are probably not worth shipping because of their weight. Any suggestions what to do with them?

Stack

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, October 31, 2017 - 11:51 pm:

Take them to Luray and peddle them for $5 each. From what I've seen at auctions, you'll sell all of them. That will pay for a space with a few dollars to spare.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Tuesday, October 31, 2017 - 11:58 pm:

A good scrap yard will give you quite a bit more than $2 each! If they turn, you might get $20 from a core buyer... If they turn when connected to a 6v battery, you should get $20 from a T guy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fords Masterpiece . nj on Wednesday, November 01, 2017 - 01:26 am:

Hey Tom , lets make a deal . pm sent

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, November 01, 2017 - 02:23 am:

I see way more than $24 in parts there, starter drive, generator gears. etc. etc. I hope you two can make a deal!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, November 01, 2017 - 11:32 am:

Many times a starter or generator which does not work can have a parts swap with another and make one which works. Since the car can also be started with a crank and can run on mag without a generator, it is worth taking a chance that your "overhauled" part will save a lot of money. Or if you have the equipment to work on them yourself, you can rebuild them and sell them as "rebuilt". Anyway, don't throw them away, either take to a swap meet or have a club member who is going to a swap meet take them for you.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Wednesday, November 01, 2017 - 12:31 pm:

The starters have good core value. Some of the vendors have offered credit or cash for them. More than $2.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Wednesday, November 01, 2017 - 02:01 pm:

My country has zero of those. Zero.
Try selling them overseas to people that don't have any.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, November 01, 2017 - 02:12 pm:

Just because the starters and generators are rusted and seemly no good is not always the case.
It's amazing to me that some may think that they aren't any good.

Probably at least half of the starters and generators armatures are still good. A good rebuilder can get most up and going and be good units that will last a good while and probably as long as you own a T.
With all the parts available from T parts houses makes going through them a easy job.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Wednesday, November 01, 2017 - 02:51 pm:

I would check with Lang's. They say they will pay $30 for a complete, unrusted core. In the same notice, they say that the starter must be rebuildable. Perhaps they would pay something less then $30 for the ones that you have, but still more then $2.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Wednesday, November 01, 2017 - 03:33 pm:

I hope someone can save those from the scrapper.Regardless of the cash value, core value is more important.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Will --- North Jersey on Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 01:06 pm:

We made a deal. They all went to a good home not scrap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 01:52 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 03:43 pm:

Good,folks will have more parts available to them that didn't go thru the smelter first!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 04:04 pm:

That's great! Old rusty stuff can be made good use of and made to work again. That's what our hobby is fun and all about!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 08:53 pm:

Rusty old model T "junk" usually ain't junk. :-)
Is it the fact (perhaps only in my own mind) that so many parts are still out there and good to use due to decent practices when first produced a hundred years ago? I just walked down to my new pile this spring, uncovered it, chose a starter, cleaned it up and voila!
That's wonderful news Tom!
"folks will have more parts available to them" Hehehe! Unless Marcello is a hoarder like some of us! :-)
Sorry Mack, nothing intended. :-) And yet you are quite correct on many levels. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darryl Bobzin on Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 09:13 pm:

A good friend of mine said "Never throw anything away, you can always add on to the building"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fords Masterpiece . nj on Friday, November 10, 2017 - 02:15 am:

Im glad that i met Tom Will ,great Gent, and made him some extra space . But besides that : I AM A MODEL T PARTS HOARDER !!!
And if anybody needs some of the starters , i
gladly share .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dufault on Friday, November 10, 2017 - 04:50 pm:

Marcelo,

Until proven otherwise, I have to believe that you are a decent chap.

Just because I am old, cynical, and some say cantankerous, I am, nevertheless suspicious of someone on the 'net who fails to use their real name.

And I tend to be critical...perhaps unnecessarily so, but since you are a relatively new poster (I think), look at some of the many, many, extremely numerous posts on the Forum over the years. Most of us use our REAL names.

Hope this was informative - I do wish you success in your endeavor - we always need good, reliable parts suppliers.

Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, November 10, 2017 - 06:43 pm:

David. old, cynical, cantankerous, suspicious.
I never thought of you as any of those things.

But I must admit that my wife tells me that I am too trusting and am blind as a bat in the daylight, amongst other unprintable things.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dufault on Friday, November 10, 2017 - 07:09 pm:

Fred,I try to behave myself at the meetings and while on tour...

I used to be more trusting, but with all these "alternative facts", I hardly know what to believe anymore :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Friday, November 10, 2017 - 11:50 pm:

http://oi66.tinypic.com/28b4oxs.jpg
http://oi66.tinypic.com/huetzs.jpg

How do these look? They're in a running car now.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration