Need a little HELP !!!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Need a little HELP !!!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Humphrey on Wednesday, November 01, 2017 - 08:15 am:

I changed oil this weekend and when I pulled out the drain plug, this pin was stuck to the drain plug magnet. Then when we took the T out, I noticed when I push down to low gear, it is kind of hard to do. Almost like I am having to push it past a cam. I haven't had time to remove the transmission cover yet to look in and see what it may be.
But was hoping that someone here knew something about this pin.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Humphrey on Wednesday, November 01, 2017 - 08:17 am:

Sorry images were to large I have to resize them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Wednesday, November 01, 2017 - 08:45 am:

Just from your description, I'm guessing the pedal cams notch pin sheared from the pedal shaft.

Definitely take a look inside before going further. The hole in my pedal shaft was worn, so when I replaced the low speed notch, I bought some 9/32" steel rod to make an oversized pin.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Humphrey on Wednesday, November 01, 2017 - 08:45 am:

html?images/rsz_11img_1207.jpg

I hope this works... never resized before.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Humphrey on Thursday, November 02, 2017 - 09:42 am:

here is a pic. this is the pin I was asking about.
Also it doesn't look to be broken off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, November 02, 2017 - 10:03 am:

I agree with Chad. It looks like the pin out of the low pedal notch, or maybe one of the clutch release fork pins. It's easy enough to check. Just pull the lid off the hogshead. They're both right up on top where you can see them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Humphrey on Thursday, November 02, 2017 - 11:54 am:

Thanks Chad and Steve.. I will look this evening when I get home.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, November 02, 2017 - 12:03 pm:

It looks like the pin in the low speed notch and if it is the pin, you need to fix it before you drive the car because you will get stuck where low gear won't work and you might have to come home in reverse!

This pin is located right where the low pedal shaft enters the hogs head on the inside. It should be easy to see with the inspection plate removed.

If it is the pin for the low notch, It would be best to remove the hogs head when you replace because you will need to peen both the top end and the bottom end and it will also be less likely to drop it or tools into the transmission.

Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Humphrey on Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 07:36 am:

Thanks for all the help guys. This thing is killing me (or my lack of knowledge is)
But is this the pin we are talking about?? If so it seems to be there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 08:44 am:

Yes, that's the one - but how does the notch follow the pedal axle? Try push on the pedal and watch the action inside - first half of pressing down (or pulling the hand brake) the clutch should work so the three clutch lever pins come free and doesn't push the clutch pack together any more. Further pressing down on the pedal should make the notch move the pedal axle sideways, thus clamping the middle band tight, stopping the low drum from rotating. Then the car is in low gear. The notch pin could be sheared inside of the notch, then it won't follow the pedal axle exactly as it rotates.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Compton on Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 09:11 am:

Just curious, but can a "roll-pin" be used here as well as other places in the T transmission?? They don't require peening and are already hardened and easy to install in this situation. Bruce

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 09:56 am:

NONONO!

Good product
Wrong application

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 10:15 am:

IIRC somebody here was using roll pins but found they weren't strong enough. There was some discussion about using a roll pin inside a roll pin but I don't remember what came of that.

Personally, I went into this T hobby with minimal experience and I learned to peen rivets without any trouble. I'm in no way special so if I can you can.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 11:03 am:

I canít really tell the diameter, but it looks like it could be the generator gear pin. If it falls out, the motion of the gears may push the generator gear back a bit, but not cause any noticeable symptoms. Seen this several times.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 12:00 pm:

That pin might have been from somewhere else or have been there for some time and replaced but not removed from the drain plug. The two problems might be unrelated, but as Roger has posted above, observe the action of the pedal shaft. For the first bit the shaft will just turn as you disengage the high speed clutch but then the pedal should slide to the right as you depress the pedal. The pedal should stop about one inch above the floorboard with the band tight against the drum. Your problem with low could just be that it needs adjustment. Sometimes if the adjustment is too loose, the pedal will tend to stick but if it is too tight, the low band will drag in neutral, reverse, or high. So adjust it to bottom out between one inch to one and one half inch above the floor. Then put the parking lever in neutral and turn the starting crank. The car should not not move forward when you crank, nor should the engine turn over when you push the car in neutral.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bamford, Edmonton AB on Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 12:48 pm:

Bruce ó it may have been my experience that Tim recalled... I've used a roll pin in that application and the dang thing broke in three.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 12:51 pm:

I agree with Adam. It's a generator gear pin. Very common to come loose and fall out. A notch pin falling out would be a rare thing, though not impossible.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Compton on Wednesday, November 08, 2017 - 11:13 pm:

Thanks guys, I'll stick with the solid pin. Bruce

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration