Vehicle glass what are you doing for replacement.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Vehicle glass what are you doing for replacement.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Hand on Wednesday, November 01, 2017 - 09:09 am:

Yesterday I brought home a 1926 tudor it has the original window glass, darn shame it is intact, no cracks or chips. I have the GLASS BOOKLET here somewhere now I need to find it but I understand it doesn't give the thickness, I can measure the side glass is the windshield the same thickness? I know vendors offer replacement, but I may want to source local, Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, Mostly in Dearborn on Wednesday, November 01, 2017 - 09:17 am:

I talked to my local glass supplier and have decided to go with tempered glass on my side windows.

The cost is roughly the same as laminated glass and the glass is stronger in the event someone grabs the window edge to slam the door. On my older restorations, the exposed edges of the laminated glass are separating and bubbling over time. I will only use laminated glass for windshields.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire (La Florida!) on Wednesday, November 01, 2017 - 09:18 am:

I just took the frames to my local glass shop told them what I wanted and 45 minutes later walked out with safety glass. Flat glass is easy and any shop can cut it for you, esp. if you have a good pattern for them!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Landry, Hudson, NH on Wednesday, November 01, 2017 - 09:25 am:

Laminated glass you should be able to get more or less while you wait at a local glass shop. They will have to order tempered glass as it must be cut before it is tempered. Still shouldn't take more than a few days.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, November 01, 2017 - 09:27 am:

Get the Ford glass booklet. I think it is being reproduced. What I've found, is todays glass is a little thicker than the originals, but it still works.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, November 01, 2017 - 09:28 am:

Yes, any competent local glass shop. No need to spend any dough on shipping.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Wednesday, November 01, 2017 - 09:59 am:

I very carefully removed the original glass with the channel. I cleaned the channel and took it with the restored frame to the best glass guy in town [someone with years of experience]. He was able to find the correct safety glass and use the new channel ... fit perfectly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Wednesday, November 01, 2017 - 10:05 am:

I would not ride in an automobile that I knew had any tempered glass. That stuff can literally explode when hit or overstressed. I'd rather have the original plate glass. Just my opinion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, November 01, 2017 - 10:41 am:

What was posted on Fordbarn in the Model A section;
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=232156

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Wednesday, November 01, 2017 - 11:03 am:

John, every newer car has all tempered glass except the windshield.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Wednesday, November 01, 2017 - 11:06 am:

John,

Better not ride in any modern car then. Except for the windshield, ALL modern cars use tempered glass in side & rear windows.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Saggese on Wednesday, November 01, 2017 - 11:07 am:

The point of tempered glass is to break into little tiny pieces, which can still cut you, no doubt- but they aren't heavy or large enough to maim you like plate glass can.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Wednesday, November 01, 2017 - 11:08 am:

John,

"I'd rather have the original plate glass."

You have got to be kidding...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Hand on Wednesday, November 01, 2017 - 11:54 am:

Larry, as stated in my original post, I have the "GLASS BOOKLET" it just hasn't worked it's way to the top of the heap!!! Overwhelmed with mail on current Medicare offerings and other stuff !!!
Steve I am 100% with you on the shipping!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Wednesday, November 01, 2017 - 12:01 pm:

I believe Chevrolet switched to tempered side glass in 1960. 1959 were still laminated.

I'm not sure about other makes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Howard ( Australia) on Wednesday, November 01, 2017 - 03:42 pm:

I was taking the broken glass out of a frame a couple of weeks ago, and managed to scoop a lump of meat 3/4 inch long and 3/16 deep out of my thumb. After the bleeding got stopped and I got it wrapped up , it occurred to me that I never did replace the glass in the '26... always one of those "gunna do" jobs.. so I pulled the frames and cleaned them , took it to a Club Member, a retired glazier, and for $225 (Au) now have laminated windshield. Much better than driving around with something that can turn into a sheet of daggers with one stone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Landry, Hudson, NH on Wednesday, November 01, 2017 - 08:40 pm:

"I'd rather have the original plate glass."

I suggest you watch this clip from the movie "Ghost" to see what plate glass can do to you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y2wqkD2KVM

Tempered glass doesn't "explode", meaning it doesn't send pieces of glass flying in all directions. When it does break, the whole piece crumbles into thousands of little pieces. It's more susceptible on the edges, but you can hit it WAY harder than plate glass on the flat before it breaks. Not to say that you can't hurt yourself on the little pieces, but they're not going to slice an artery open.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration