Small Ford Wrench Sizes

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Small Ford Wrench Sizes
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Wednesday, November 01, 2017 - 10:42 am:

The Model T Encyclopedia does not include details on the small wrench sizes in the back section.

Only the size of one wrench is described.

Are there part numbers for these 4 wrenches listed elsewhere?

Seems like there is one more smaller wrench that is not shown.

Wrench

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, November 01, 2017 - 11:28 am:

The smaller one might be Model A (1928-1931). Or could even be V8.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, November 01, 2017 - 12:07 pm:

The first one looks like the early #1917 wrench (" and 9/16"). I'm not sure exactly when, but sometime in the early teens #1917 became a band adjustment wrench on the big end (11/16"). I don't know what the 5/8" end is for.

Early and later #1917 wrenches.

The #1917 band adjusting wrench and its more convenient counterpart 3Z-2034. There's a 5Z double ratchet that does both brake and reverse and also the low band locking nut. This version of #1917 is perhaps the most common Model T wrench. Not quite a dime a dozen, but you can see it from there.

I can't make out the markings on your bottom two wrenches, but I suspect they may be Model A or later.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Wednesday, November 01, 2017 - 09:30 pm:

Steve, #3 down is 5/8th and 9/16th. It has Ford U.S.A. on one side and an M . . in it on the other side and #4 down is 1/2 and 7/16th. It has Ford U.S.A. on one side and a circle with a smudged letter in it on the other side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Wednesday, November 01, 2017 - 09:52 pm:

Doesn't the addition of USA denote a Model A era wrench?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, November 02, 2017 - 12:06 am:

The two bottom ones are not T wrenches.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By wayne tomlins on Thursday, November 02, 2017 - 01:16 am:

Ford USA stamped on wrenches actually was early V8 era issue. Ford script [ no USA] was only stamped on 1928 Model A issue tools but did start again with the USA addition late in 1931.
Cheers

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, November 02, 2017 - 03:49 am:

What about the generator third brush adjusting wrench? I just use my "go to" ignition wrench set my grandfather gave to me over fifty years ago. But I do have a number of old ignition type wrenches and wonder if one of them might actually be the right one?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Thursday, November 02, 2017 - 07:01 am:

The repo sold today is an exact copy of the right one, only slightly thicker material then some of the early repros and works fine.

I have one that just has Ford in the usual script on it and 5-Z-806- right after the script.

This one appears to have been chrome or nickel plated.

Another one has a sideways diamond, with an M in it after the 5-Z-806 number.

Another one has a plain sideways diamond, then the 644 number and then FRANK MOSSBERG CORP. in smaller letters above ATTLEBORO MASS U.S.A.

There are a few other variations, but they all have to have been made after 1919.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Thursday, November 02, 2017 - 08:23 am:

I just found those two smaller wrenches on a Model A website. That was a good lead!

tools

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Thursday, November 02, 2017 - 09:47 am:

Most of my antique tools have nothing more than the maker name with city and state.(One from 1868.) The inclusion of USA seems to start appearing after WWI. Global sourcing must have been a marketing advantage back then also. Cheaper labor and cheaper materials during a time of reconstruction must have lead to a period of many off-shore suppliers.

Funny how we now celebrate when we see "Made in USA" on a product. We've become a nation of servants and button pushers. Actually making something with our hands is a rarity and probably fuels our need for hobbies. The Model T certainly gives us something to do with our hands. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, November 02, 2017 - 12:22 pm:

Wayne: I have two different styles of third brush wrenches. One is a double open end, and the other is a single. Both have the Ford script.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, November 02, 2017 - 03:41 pm:

Thank you James G and Larry S, and all.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration