Touring curtains

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Touring curtains
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Wednesday, November 01, 2017 - 09:42 pm:

Where can I find pictures and dimensions for side curtains for a Touring ('21) with the two man top? I will be getting a new top installed in the next week or two. My upholsterer/top installer can make the curtains. I suppose once the top is on we could figure out the dimensions. thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Wednesday, November 01, 2017 - 10:14 pm:

After looking at a bunch of pictures I think making my own will be the way to go. I need larger windows for more visibility than what I see in most pictures.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, November 01, 2017 - 11:21 pm:

If you decide to have them done, Classtique will make custom curtains with larger windows if you send them a sketch of what you want. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, November 01, 2017 - 11:53 pm:

There you guys go again! Trying to change everything! The archives may have the original prints. That is where I got mine. It was one of the most fun projects I ever did. BUT I did it correctly!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Thursday, November 02, 2017 - 07:09 am:

From what I see in the antique catalogs there were aftermarket side curtains that would be different .... but still "authentic" to the period. Maybe that's a way to go. I'm sure Jay in California must have mountains of catalogs for reference.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Thursday, November 02, 2017 - 09:26 am:

I have ridden in a T with OE side curtains and visibility was terrible. Go with a larger window especially if there is any traffic you'll be driving in

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald Conklin on Thursday, November 02, 2017 - 07:20 pm:

I agree the visibility out of origional style is terrible. When I installed the new curtains on my 1919 touring I immediately took them off and had a upholstrey shop install a larger window in the front of each front curtain.
I should also add, the fit of the curtains which were purchased from a vendor was terrible. The fit would have been OK if the car was 4" longer. I know I should have returned them,but time wouldn't allow it. At the time the car was newly acquired and my wife wouldn't have appreciated going the Winter Tour with out them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter B. Ratledge on Thursday, November 02, 2017 - 10:19 pm:

Tommy, Larry is right. Have the curtains made in the authentic style. Mike at Classtique can do a great job. I have curtains for my 11, but don't use them. I just use them for show. When I am driving in a rain storm, the rain comes over the windshield any way. And they also steam up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Friday, November 03, 2017 - 07:51 am:

I agree Peter, authenticity trumps lack of visibility in modern traffic conditions. But of course he could solely use them for show as you do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Friday, November 03, 2017 - 07:58 am:

I recently saw the movie The Old Dark House (1930 something) and it opens with 3 people driving in a Touring type car in a teriffic rain storm getting soaked to the gills and just conversing (and even smoking !) as if nothings going on. I know it's a movie but it must have been pretty common to get a good soak now & then,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Friday, November 03, 2017 - 05:39 pm:

Austin Clark used to host a tour on the east end of Long Island NY every September called the "Run for the Sea". Unfortunately, it rained the entire three days of the tour more often than not so it was eventually dubbed the "Rain for the Sea". That meant side curtains were essential. I can testify to the fact that they were minimally effective at best when it came to keeping you dry and highly effective at minimizing visibility. On top of that they made the inside of the car feel like a steam room. I eventually gave up using them in favor of full marine foul weather gear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Friday, November 03, 2017 - 06:19 pm:

If you are doing a show car, or want
A correct restoration, by all means, do it the way Ford did it.

If you want effective side curtains have some custom made with high visibility.

I made my own patterns for these. They unzip from the bottom for easy entry and egress.

Nope, they are not original. They are functional.

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, November 03, 2017 - 06:26 pm:

Tommy

Here is photo of original two man top side curtains.

But factory ones are hard to see out.
This is adv. from the day on aftermarket ones.

But even then, someone made larger windows to see the traffic

The early '26 had small windows, then later in '27 larger windows in the curtains!

I have custom big clear ones on my tour T, 1927 touring.

They don't cloud and keep you warm and dry!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel Indiana Truck Logansport In on Friday, November 03, 2017 - 06:40 pm:

1913 with side curtains found under back seat. I think they are original.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Friday, November 03, 2017 - 09:47 pm:

Dan
That period photo looks like my side curtains. I wonder if they used zipper too...

Keith

I

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Davis on Saturday, November 04, 2017 - 01:40 am:

I like the side curtains, Don't need snow chains on the Texas Gulf Coast, maybe pontoons during the recent flooding, I like the rear Brake / Turn signal lights on the top iron brackets, on a side note Harbor Freight sells a small portable "12 volt auto heater/defroster with light" sale price $8.99, don't know the current draw but runs off aux power jack. might help keep the Touring warmer in winter time for those with 12 volt electrical systems.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration