Ya know your messed up on the model T when:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Ya know your messed up on the model T when:
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Thursday, November 02, 2017 - 01:05 am:

shoes

Along with your other comfy shoes, drying in front of the furnace in the office, you still have a TT coil box that's well dried out already and needs a Fun Projects kit.
The starter for the 24 Halverson engine from the late Center-Door has sat in that coffee can of nails for a long time

I'm messed up!
Or am I?

How has the model T messed you up?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, November 02, 2017 - 01:12 am:

There is so much stuff I don't know what I have, and what I know I have, I don't know where a lot of it is. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, Mostly in Dearborn on Thursday, November 02, 2017 - 12:51 pm:

When guests constantly complain about the cylinder block in your office...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Thursday, November 02, 2017 - 01:09 pm:

When you test drive the new rear axle overhaul and it backs up in low gear ! (!@&%##X!!!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire (La Florida!) on Thursday, November 02, 2017 - 01:26 pm:

This is what your car looks like when you are trying to decide what it needs!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cameron Whitaker, Oklahoma City on Thursday, November 02, 2017 - 01:30 pm:

You live in an apartment and decide to do learn to be a wheelwright some MAJOR rebuilding/shimming/painting to your wood wheels. And then hang up your freshly painted spokes from the shower curtain rod to dry :-)

That was 5 years ago. I check my spokes regularly and they are still tight and solid!
Taking wheel apart

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Thursday, November 02, 2017 - 02:11 pm:

....when you are awarded the coveted family book case but afraid to tell them you will use it to display old cars parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Thursday, November 02, 2017 - 02:12 pm:

P. S. Very nice photo Duey C.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Perry Kete on Thursday, November 02, 2017 - 04:05 pm:

You know Rich if you take the Model T items you wish to display in your family book case out of the FREAK"N BOXES they might look better!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Thursday, November 02, 2017 - 04:13 pm:

Rich, that's a beautiful cabinet ! Tell us a little about it ? I think the interesting items you've collected will look great in there, and do it more justice than books would - ( unless of course they were vintage Model T books ! )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Thursday, November 02, 2017 - 05:27 pm:

Perry, welcome to the affliction. I am trying to think outside the box.
Rich, The book case was on the second floor of the old family store. I have wanted it for years. They have used it to store merchandise but can better use the space. I mentioned I would love to have it and then several others also asked to have it. Somehow I won out.
My existing display shelves are overflowing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Thursday, November 02, 2017 - 06:17 pm:

Rich, I wondered if it came from the store. Kinda has a "soda fountain" look - ? I'm so glad you got it ! It's going to look great filled with Model T era merchandise ! Beautiful !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Derocher on Thursday, November 02, 2017 - 09:18 pm:

Going out in the barn to clean things up on a rainy day, and you find stuff you forgot you had, I always tell my pickin buddy, It's just like going to another swap meet!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eck Sheppard on Thursday, November 02, 2017 - 09:38 pm:

I also have experienced the two speed reverse. What a sinking feeling sitting in the drivers seat knowing what has to be re done,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Thursday, November 02, 2017 - 10:00 pm:

I've only been into Model T's for less than a year and I have 4 cast iron heads.

In the same amount of time, I've amassed a small mountain of parts that I can't use on my car (some of which I've bought in error and some of which have been given to me).

So...after less than a year of this, I'm already planning to get a space at Chickasha to sell/barter these things to get the things I need.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, November 02, 2017 - 10:09 pm:

I need another building just to sort out all the stuff I need to get rid of. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sullivan on Thursday, November 02, 2017 - 10:16 pm:

All this is hard to believe, there are hardly any parts available in NW Washington. Dave in Bellingham, WA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Thursday, November 02, 2017 - 10:42 pm:

Hehehe!!!
I lost an Ah-oo-ga horn AND a 1924 T block (ya, that engine) in a 12 X 24 shop-space... Still lost.
:-)
Much mishap/messed up here!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Thursday, November 02, 2017 - 10:54 pm:

I've gotten worse, or better, since my divorce. I've got a windshield in my living room floor and a carburetor I painted hanging from the ceiling. My bedroom closet has headlights in it, a speedometer wheel gear is hanging from my dresser and on top of it are some coils. Stuff in every other room, building or vehicle I own as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Friday, November 03, 2017 - 12:11 am:

I love the two about going backwards in low.
The cabinet is quite beautiful.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, November 03, 2017 - 01:31 am:

When you took apart a Simmons Super Power carburetor in 1970, needing to alter an available part as a replacement for a part that was missing. 45 years and six moves later, you finally get the carburetor AND the small parts together in the same box to finish the repair.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Friday, November 03, 2017 - 06:43 pm:

When you steal the wifes hair dryer to work on the T!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Friday, November 03, 2017 - 08:31 pm:

The 2 reverses,That is a SINKING feeling when you realize all the work that is involved.
I have not had a engine in the speedster yet.I am hoping I didn't repeat that mistake on that rear axle.
I have been "messing" with old stuff since I was about 14.I am 50. I still have alot of the stuff I had before I graduated high school.I don't get rid of much.Therefore,all my buildings are stuffed,my shop is getting stuffed and so on. A few years ago I got a old school bus body for 200 bucks. excellent but ugly storage. I thought it would be the final solution to my storage problems. WRONG. it is now stuffed. Of course some of my restored 2 wheel garden tractors are in it and they need a little breathing room to keep from being skint up.
I honestly think I could have 2 chicken house size storage buildings put up and in 2 years they would be full and I would still be stumbling over stuff.
I have started trying to avoid yardsales and flea markets. I stumble over those "good Deals" from 10 years ago all the time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Friday, November 03, 2017 - 10:10 pm:

Richard. Nice looking bookcase. Does it have a matching base? Usually, bookcases like that without legs or feet, came as a 2 part set, with the bookcase sitting on some sort of storage base, either with drawers, cabinet base with shelves, or a slant front desk, called a secretary. Attached is a photo of a 2 part Victorian Secretary. Although it would look great displaying Model T parts, it would look better full of first edition books atop a slant front desk. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, November 03, 2017 - 10:26 pm:

Jim, this is all I have seen of it. It may have had another base prior to the 40's. Of course the doors are 10" or so higher when attached. Those who would have known the history are no longer with us.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Friday, November 03, 2017 - 11:32 pm:

I have no clue how the picture at the top turned out as it did. I just struggled down to the floor with the old Olympus.
Thank you for mentioning it Richard. From a fella of your artistic caliber, it is appreciated as the pic does have a "look" to it. :-)
It took 3 times! :-) Ugh Duane, they're blurry. Go do it again.
Too many things to say... I guess I didn't need to feel bad the next day after posting. :-) :-)
Tom, please tell us more about that oddball block in your office. Hint, hint.

Hahaha! I understand some of you guys, when I was young, I had a 320 pound, 14-1/2" Diesel engine piston in my apartment's living room,
and a green, nine volt Hitachi screw-gun hanging on a hook in the ceiling. Damn thing looked like a gun.
It'll be back inside some day! It makes a comfy stool or as George Carlin had said "Or, as an occasional piece." :-/
It sucked getting it back up the stairs when I moved out. :-)
I found out when I bought that piston, my 67 Cadillac Coupe De Ville weighed 5300 pounds!
My Twin City 17-28 tractor weighs only 50 pounds more... Dry shipping weight, of course. ;-)
The T is a condition. The rest is a human condition?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Saturday, November 04, 2017 - 12:31 am:

Richard. Yes. More times than not, multi part furniture gets separated over the years. How this happened to your particular piece is anyone's guess. Perhaps the lower chest or desk was sold during hard times to put food on the table or the two parts were divided between two family members who both wanted it. I would have been interested to see what the lower part looked like. I'll bet it was pretty. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Gall on Saturday, November 04, 2017 - 09:00 pm:

Soldering leaks and varnishing sill boards

Radiator in kitchen sinkSill boards on kitchen table

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Gall on Saturday, November 04, 2017 - 09:02 pm:

Wow, those came across HUGE! Sorry, cell phone post....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Saturday, November 04, 2017 - 10:44 pm:

They're fine Bill. :-)
But you forgot to mention that you did this "In the house!"
Hehehe! :-)
You have many interesting things happening on that dining room table!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Bond on Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 12:08 pm:

Interesting stuff. Have periodically recaptured the kitchen sink for things like cleaning brass, but didn't realize this would turn into a "cabinet" thread. I am now wondering how many of you have those fabulous antique cabinets/book-cases that have been re-purposed to display your model T goodies? Here is mine (ours). It was in the in-laws house on Isle of Palms SC when hurricane Hugo went through and destroyed everything. They lost the house but ended up staying a few more years in a nicer fairly new place, and this was a "survivor" we inherited. It still has a high-water mark on the back. Have promised for years we'd eventually move it into the house but it's still in the garage holding some of my automobilia. Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 12:29 pm:

Terry, that is beautiful. I have been envious of some cabinets shown here on the forum. I remember one in Jay (from northern California) 's home. I planned to build one someday but now I have one. Those old oak pieces are fantastic. My Father's office had wall to wall oak books cases in it that had me spellbound as a child.
I did make some parts drawers years ago that have been useful.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Bond on Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 12:40 pm:

Nice cabinet Richard! I see you also collect spark plugs! Please post some photos or start a new thread. I know so many model T guys who collect them-not just Ford, but anything odd and unusual. I'll post a few pics of mine but don't want to completely hi-jack this posting.
Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 01:04 pm:

You don't have to ask twice Terry. Thanks.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/804979.html?1509904939

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, December 03, 2017 - 05:01 pm:

I'm needing some more group therapy while the fumes are dissipating from the work room. Like letting the genie out of the lamp I opened up an old Mayonnaise jar. I had some things soaking in some budget lacquer thinner from the 1990's. Man what a smell. Worse than any old gasoline or differential oil.
I have saved the little Testors model paint bottles to put touch-up paint in. About 30 bottles survived and were cleaned up and now have a different color of dried up paint in them. Making new cardboard or rubber seals hasn't helped them much. Why do we spend time saving things which often end up in fruitless efforts?
The other items in the jar were some grease cups that had been on a Buick I bought several years ago. I replaced them with brass ones and was trying to soak some cream paint from them. I took the Mayonnaise jar outside where there was fresh air. I intended to toss the old thinner out but ended up putting some more paint bottles in it. Why can't I let go of old lacquer thinner.
Normally I kind of like the smell of lacquer thinner but this stuff is really rank. As I said, it was a bargain price when I bought 5 gallons of it but it never did smell like the real stuff. Trying to save this little bit of paint sort of took over the day.

At any rate it got me thinking about the futile attempts we make while pursuing our odd hobbies.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, December 03, 2017 - 05:31 pm:

Richard I have a 2 gallon bucket of carb cleaner with a basket in it. I moved out here to the farm in 1999. I brought it with me. I havnt opened it since before that. Probably just dried sludge by now. Those rubber seals dont last. Why dont I throw it out. Good question. Why do I buy 90 year plus old cars? Why do I have an 1849 wood cook stove in my kitchen? We are sick my friend but we do have fun.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, December 03, 2017 - 05:39 pm:

Thanks Dallas. I guess we're all in this together.
Amen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Sunday, December 03, 2017 - 06:04 pm:

When you've been into Model T's less than a year and there's already 3 additional cast iron heads, and extra touring car door, an NOS runningboard- mounted air pump (in the original box), an engine-mounted air pump, a one-piece wooden steering wheel for an early car, two jacks, two luggage racks, extra windshield glass, accessory park light, two stoplights, original floorboards for an early car, and 5 misc boxes of other things you won't use.

All waiting to go to Chickasha so you can sell them to buy more stuff for your T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, December 03, 2017 - 06:19 pm:

Don, I think you need more buildings. Soon! This is my second year and I have 4 complete running T's, one running chassis and a 8x24 shed full "FULL" of motors ,wheels,parts and more parts. I have another building with sheet metal, axles,springs,ect...
It is fun tho isnt it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Sunday, December 03, 2017 - 06:38 pm:

It sure is Dallas....wouldn't have it any other way.

My problem is also space. I'm operating out of a two-car garage, but have plans to build a 40x40 building behind my house...or may even go for a 40x60.

I have a 54 Ford Mainline and a 66 Ford F100 that also have a small mountain of parts associated with them. So I need some space.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Tuesday, December 05, 2017 - 12:52 am:

You guys are really messed up with your hobbies... Sheesh.

;-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Tuesday, December 05, 2017 - 12:55 am:

You use the dishwasher and oven not for their intended purpose and absolutely void their warranties.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Friday, December 08, 2017 - 11:06 pm:

Hehehe! Ignacio, shame on you! :-)
Ooh, what new processes did you come up with whilst voiding useless warranties?
In a past life, I used to deal with an engine manufacturer that had a 1 year warranty that was absolutely worthless.
UNLESS you had perfect records. :-)
Good to see your posts and love that TOP hat!

I was sat here tonight, happily listening to good music, added another good album to the playlist and reading here on the forum.
I had stopped the music to re-listen to a good song on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjmd3XucIqY.
I'm not a big fan of the Oak Ridge Boys but I like this song a lot and the bass wasn't responding very well on my sound system.
It's a good jam. :-)
Digging in the dust, brushing it off of my sleeve to turn up the bass and pulling out the box, I find this! WTH?

gaskets

How long have these been here? The paperwork says 8-1-15. Oh! I bought a set of 3 in 1 style copper clad gaskets with glands when I found and bought an alternator for the 24. I didn't have any genny's back then.
I must've bought these for the Crappy 24 but why?
I have hand-cut heavy cork gaskets under the manifolds that have served for 20 years. With no rings of any kind, I'm sure...
What was I looking/thinking to do? I dunno. Messed up on cool old things, I'd guess.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration