Generator

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Generator
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Thursday, November 02, 2017 - 03:16 am:

When I cranked my '21 for the first time the ammeter showed nothing on the + side. I removed the generator and found new brushes inside. I adjusted the brush holder by the manual then reinstalled the generator and adjusted the third brush. Still no charge according to the ammeter. Then yesterday with the car running there was a change in the gauge. Suddenly it shows a slight charge and when the headlights are turned on it shows 5 or 6 on the discharge side instead of the 10 that it showed before. Time to try adjusting the third brush again? Maybe there's hope.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Thursday, November 02, 2017 - 07:01 am:

How fast was the engine going when you did your tests. Also ... are you running with a cut out or voltage regulator?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Thursday, November 02, 2017 - 07:50 am:

It was sitting parked and running at a "fast idle". My cutout has a diode in it. Also I had tightened the third brush screw just to where the brush would still move then had nothing that I could tighten it with, back on the car. It's possible that it moved. I have since found a wrench that I might be able to bend.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Thursday, November 02, 2017 - 08:30 am:

Tommy, this Model T Generator third brush holder wrench - 5Z-806 is available from Langs and works fine!

Item Number: 5Z-806
Per Car: 1
Year: 1919-1927
Condition: New
Price: $10.50 each

Wrench

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Houston---WNC on Thursday, November 02, 2017 - 08:52 am:

tommy--go to your local parts and/or tool store and get a small 5/16 ignition end wrench and use the 12 point box end.mine is a craftsman and i used it on many a generator 3rd brush

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration