Thanks to Chris for tip on straightening a crank

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Thanks to Chris for tip on straightening a crank
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Thursday, November 02, 2017 - 03:33 pm:

Kudos to Chris Bamford, who posted a picture 3-4 years ago regarding straightening a crank. He had to press .320" to effect a beneficial bend.

I had to work up to .385, twice to take a .001 (.002 TIR) bend out of my crank. It worked swell, though I need some aspirin for my back after lifting that block up to my press.

Even my press is the same color as Chris', so success was practically guaranteed!

Chris' setup:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Pharis on Thursday, November 02, 2017 - 05:24 pm:

Years ago I was taught to strike in the corner radius with a similarly blunt cold chisel while backing up the crank on the opposite side. The theory was that the chisel would stretch the material on the low side to combat the bow in the crank.

I was also taught that no matter what method you use to straighten a crank, always grind and install right away. The story was that the bend would come back. The support of the engine bearings would supposedly prevent this. I don't know if this was an "out of sight, out of mind" mentality. Or was based on actual fact.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Thursday, November 02, 2017 - 05:54 pm:

Kevin

in 2 hours, 1/2 the bend did come back.

Redid the persuasion with vigor and is now straight as an arrow...with only 1/4 thou out of round on the journal showing

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bamford, Edmonton AB on Thursday, November 02, 2017 - 06:45 pm:

Thanks Scott, it was fun to see my name in the thread list. Glad it worked out for you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Thursday, November 02, 2017 - 06:54 pm:

This process is so fun to see and hear about. I would never have thought to try it.
Thanks for another eye opener.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Thursday, November 02, 2017 - 07:16 pm:

This IS very interesting.
385 thou! Twice.
I too thought I'd have to peen a 28 Chev crank that's bent a bit worse but I only pushed to 100 thou and couldn't get the peening method firmly implanted in my noggin'.
Many thanks for sharing this!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phil Mino, near Porterville on Friday, November 03, 2017 - 03:44 am:

Same idea. Slightly different approach.

crank press

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration