Which ELECTRIC buffer do you recommend for...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Which ELECTRIC buffer do you recommend for...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marshall V. Daut on Thursday, November 02, 2017 - 04:10 pm:

...rubbing out paint? For almost 35 years I have been using a pneumatic buffer connected to an air medium-high capacity compressor when I buff out my paint jobs. I have gone through three air compressors in this time, mostly by taxing them with hours on end of buffing. The compressor I have now just can't keep up anymore and I end up spending more time waiting for the pressure to build up to continue than I actually spend buffing. Time to change to an electric buffer.
I don't mean the puny kind that you buff wax and polish with. These run way too slowly to do any good. I tried that and was disappointed. I need a good, powerful electric buffer that was designed with the speed and stamina to buff out acrylic enamel type paint. So, for you guys who do this on a more than occasional basis, which buffer do you recommend? I have at least three Model A and T cars to buff out (in pieces) before Christmas.
Thanks in advance.
Marshall

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Thursday, November 02, 2017 - 04:13 pm:

Do you use lamb's wool bonnets or Foam? What size? Circular action or double action?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph Kowalczyk - Nampa Idaho on Thursday, November 02, 2017 - 04:18 pm:

I did auto body repair and painting for over 20 years, I used an electric buffer. More friendly and no demand on the Air Compressor. I never cared for the Air Buffers, I was taught in the 60's to use electric only. I did many many acrylic lacquer paint jobs, sand and buff, to make show quality results.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph Kowalczyk - Nampa Idaho on Thursday, November 02, 2017 - 04:26 pm:

Marshall, Sorry, I didn't mention brands, I used the cheaper end brands, they worked well, live expectancy wasn't long. Black and Decker, Skill, as long as it is variable speed. If my memory is correct, I think around 1800 rpm worked great, can burn the paint easily to booth. Acrylic Enamel buffs a lot easier then the Lacquers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Thursday, November 02, 2017 - 04:34 pm:

I use the Craftsman electric with a lambs wool pad that I've had for about 30 years, and a Harbor Freight dual action buffer with foam pads to go over the swirls.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marshall V. Daut on Thursday, November 02, 2017 - 04:40 pm:

I use lamb's wool pads. I never had much luck with the foam pads, as they seemed to cause more swirls and problems. So, I also used lamb's wool for final polishing with products such as Liquid Ebony.
Marshall

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marc Roberts, York, Pennsylvania on Thursday, November 02, 2017 - 08:40 pm:

It's an old design, but the Cyclo polishers may be worth a look.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Thursday, November 02, 2017 - 10:19 pm:

There are a lot of factors here to take into account. I will just add, whatever you get, get one with variable speed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sullivan on Thursday, November 02, 2017 - 10:22 pm:

The Black & Decker from 1965 has always worked, But I am not to fussy about finish. Dave in Bellingham,WA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Thursday, November 02, 2017 - 10:31 pm:

They have "soft start" now too, which I imagine is pretty nice but haven't had a chance to try it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Friday, November 03, 2017 - 12:44 am:

I just used this one for the repaint of my '11.
https://www.autogeek.net/porter-cable-7424xp.html

I bought a kit that came with some foam pads. Use the orange and white ones for rubbing and polishing. I bought an extra 6 pack of pads.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Saggese on Friday, November 03, 2017 - 12:48 am:

+1 for the Porter Cable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marshall V. Daut on Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 12:25 pm:

Thanks for all the good input and recommendations. I am wading through them now to determine which electric buffer to purchase. Lots of choices with a wide range of prices. I'd love the high end $375+ killer-diller buffers - if I had a professional business rubbing out paint. But as a DIY guy at home, I'm afraid I'll have to set my sights a little lower.
Marshall

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill's Auto Works Wakeman, Ohio on Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 12:43 pm:

Yes Sir,
The good ones are expensive! In my shop we always used the Makita. They last a long time doing a lot of work. If you were using for home use, it would last forever!

God Bless
Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 09:52 pm:

I just borrowed a Makita from a friend. It worked just fine, but if I was buying one, I'd buy a Porter Cable. They probably aren't made in the U.S. anymore either?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration